Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting Tubeless

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting Tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 08:45 PM
ticyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting Tubeless

Hello, i own a "gravel bike" and commute the NYC streets. I am spinning Schwalbe Marathon Plus'. Apparently my rims are tubeless ready and I am considering taking advantage. If anyone here commutes tubeless please do chime in. Thanks!.

Last edited by ticyclist; 04-21-19 at 09:03 PM. Reason: making it more better
Old 04-23-19, 10:11 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I love it. Don’t know why everyone doesn’t do it. Commuting with light weight and no flats, its very nice. (much lighter weight than the Marathon+_

It does have some drawbacks. Tires loose air faster, needs maintenance (sealant refill every 6 months), can be a nightmare to mount the tires on rims as there is no reall standard (this is really hit or miss). Tires need to be rotated regularly (i.e. winter) or the sealant will dry out in one spot. Works best on tires 40mm or larger (as in many cases going over 60psi can be dangerous). Still, for commuting, its wonderful for the safety, piece of mind, and ability to run softer pressures.
Old 04-23-19, 02:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Someday I might tubeless my commuter. I currently have Velocity Dyad rims (bought about 7 years ago, before I had ever heard of tubeless), but would go with the ghetto (liner = split-tube) setup. Currently I'm running Marathon Mondial 700x42 in the front, and Supreme 700x50 in the back. Both tubes have tubeless sealant in them. The front has had a slow leak for a couple months now. When it gets soft I pump it up to a rock-hard 40psi so it'll last a few days. The back, when I feel it's getting too soft, I pump up to 30. So I'm in no danger of getting up over 60

I bought a used Krampus that came to me with ghetto-tubeless and it's been fantastic. Sometimes I call the bike 'flaps'. I even bought new tires and was able to reuse the split tubes. When I took the worn tires off, the split-tube-liners came out with them, still attached, forming a self-contained, sealed system. I had to peel them off the old tires, and then setting up the new tires was the easiest tubeless setup I've ever done (I have no air-compressor)

And I think, even though my Dyads are not tubeless-ready, tires will have that inner tube between them and the rim, so that should provide a seal; and tubeless tires will have non-weeping sidewalls, so I should be good to go.
Old 04-24-19, 08:37 AM
chas58

Yup, split tube will work fine. I use a light latex strip (skinny stripper) that basically does the same thing. After about a week, the latex liner bonds to the tire (if using latex sealant), so there is very little (none?) chance of burping or other problems. I started off that way (non tubeless tire/rim), and liked it enough to get dedicated tires/wheels for tubeless, although I still use the skinny stripper.
Old 04-24-19, 10:23 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yes, latex-based. I went through 2 liters of TruckerCo Cream Latex Sealant before researching homebrew sealant recipes at mtbr.com and making my own. Basically all the recipes start with liquid latex and PG (propylene glycol? aka antifreeze) and a few sprinkles of other things, like xanthan gum or glitter or cornmeal
Old 04-24-19, 05:51 PM
ajerichos

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i’m running tubeless on my townie for the last 2 and a half years which is make me forget what inner tube are.
don’t forget to always bring tubeless repair plug.
i live in the city where there is a lot of automotive tire repair shop and the best thing is tubeless plug for car or motorcycle tire can be use for bicycle tire.
i’m using 650x47b. never want to try tubeless skinny tire which is make me worried when a nasty-looking plug always stick on it.
Old 04-25-19, 10:43 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Since you have the rims for it, go for it. All you need is the tires and valves and tape. It's not going to cause a crisis if it doesn't work and you'll still have your other tires if you go back. It's not more difficult but it's different. You flat much less on the road compared to a similar tube tire. (Maybe not a Marathon Plus!) But you need to remember to either check the level of sealant or just add some periodically.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-25-19, 12:45 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
my tires and rims are tubeless compatible. I have only had one flat since aug 18 (knock on wood) I haven't switched because I might switch tires sometime for trips and stuff and don't want to mess with the mess.
Old 04-25-19, 01:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

s'up to you but don't fear the mess, anyhow. It's not as messy as chain lube.
Old 04-25-19, 08:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
@chas58, heh, you list lots of downsides to tubeless, and you also say you don't know why more people don't do it. Those are the reasons I don't do it. I don't want to go through the trouble.

But I'm unusual. I have worked as a bike shop mechanic, so I've fixed thousands of flats. I could almost do it with my eyes closed. I don't buy puncture resistant tires. I just fix a flat when I get it, and it's no big deal.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-19, 09:46 AM
chas58

tom - I know right?
It is wonderful for people commute and/or ride several times a week. The setup hassle makes it worth while for us.

For casual riders who ride a couple of times a month, its not worth the setup. Changing tires can be a pain too for those that like to do that.

Changing a traditional tire is super easy - using a tiny pump is not. Although I helped someone on the side of the road change a tire a few days ago and was reminded how difficult it can be for people who never do it. ;-)

@ajerichos - they make inexpensive plugs for bikes that are much smaller than a car plug. I've plugged my car a lot, but can't imagine putting something that big in a bike tire.

Darthy - its not a mess unless your tire blows off the rim during initial inflation. That is a real mess! LOL
Old 04-26-19, 09:48 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by chas58
Darthy - its not a mess unless your tire blows off the rim during initial inflation. That is a real mess! LOL
I did that once, it was dangerous and scary. I'm lucky I didn't get any permanent ear or eye damage from the assplosion.
Old 04-27-19, 11:48 AM
ticyclist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so much fantastic info, thanks! This forum has excellent folks!
Old 04-27-19, 11:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

No one's called me darthy since my socalSVriders days!