Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

NBD! Someone's old 2015 Trek CrossRip LTD

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 03:06 PM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Bikes: Domane 2.0, CrossRip LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

2015 Trek CrossRip LTD
Picked it up used via Bicycle Blue Book (INV-46647):
2015 Trek CrossRip LTD, 54cm
Bontrager CX0 Team Issue 34mm tires
DT Swiss TK540 rear wheel w/Deore XT hub
Ultegra rear derailleur
Purchased originally from Revolution Cycles

Looked like the previous owner got a lot of use out of it, but it's still in nice shape with a good components. 105 shifters, 105 front derailleur, Tiagra 50/34 crank, Ultegra rear derailleur. The value of these really dropped like a rock though. $1,759 MSRP in 2015 to $542 in 2019. It certainly seems like a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of bike, so I can understand why it isn't in high demand.

It's a really decent bike and looks perfect for wet weather commuting. Disc brakes and fenders are going to make rainy day commutes more comfortable plus it has internal cable routing(which my Domane 2.0 does not.) Using this bike will spare the other one some abuse. I felt bad about the road grit rubbing on my rim brakes.

My Strava times between the two bikes were pretty close after 20+ miles of riding, despite the CrossRip weighing 2 lbs. more (bathroom scale measurement.) I rode with Gatorskins on both. Didn't miss the IsoSpeed. The CrossRip felt really stable.

Originally I had been thinking about a used Domane ALR Disc, but those were twice as expensive and I still wasn't certain about fender clearance. I feel like I got a real bargain with the CrossRip. I'll spend some time playing with the fit before replacing the cables and housing.

Last edited by Skaughtto; 04-24-19 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 03:34 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
The geometry looks good for a commuter. A little longer chainstay for more stability, a less twitchy ride and more comfort. Also makes fenders easier to mount and moves rack mounted paniers a little farther back for less heel strike.

I'd say it's a "master" for commuting for those who prefer drop bars.
Old 04-24-19, 05:23 PM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, geometry numbers are pretty similar between the two bikes. The two biggest outliers are trail and fork offset...

5.9(D) 7(C) Trail
5.3(D) 4.5(C) Fork offset

Those would "slow" the steering a little on the (C)rossRip compared to the (D)omane? I've got a 120mm stem on the Domane and a 90mm came on the CrossRip. Pretty sure both have bars with 85mm reach.
I think every other number is within +/- 5 percent difference.

Other than feeling slower from a standing start, the CrossRip does seem like it could really mess with the "N+1" theory for me. Upgrading wheels may make it feel more peppy(lighter) and add some blingness, but I'm just using it to go 6mi to work and 6mi or 17mi back home on paved roads.

Hopefully it'll be a reliable ride for a long time. I need to read up more on maintaining the disc brakes. TRP HY RD...
Old 04-24-19, 05:24 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you mean "old" Crossrip!? My new bike is a 2014 LTD!!! Love it.😁
Old 04-24-19, 05:37 PM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by downwinded
What do you mean "old" Crossrip!? My new bike is a 2014 LTD!!! Love it.😁
Haha, it's someone's old CrossRip, but my new CrossRip =P

How do you like yours? Done much to it? Which other bikes were you looking into?
Old 04-25-19, 08:48 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaughtto
2015 Trek CrossRip LTD
Picked it up used via Bicycle Blue Book (INV-46647):
2015 Trek CrossRip LTD, 54cm
Bontrager CX0 Team Issue 34mm tires
DT Swiss TK540 rear wheel w/Deore XT hub
Ultegra rear derailleur
Purchased originally from Revolution Cycles

Looked like the previous owner got a lot of use out of it, but it's still in nice shape with a good components. 105 shifters, 105 front derailleur, Tiagra 50/34 crank, Ultegra rear derailleur. The value of these really dropped like a rock though. $1,759 MSRP in 2015 to $542 in 2019. It certainly seems like a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of bike, so I can understand why it isn't in high demand.

It's a really decent bike and looks perfect for wet weather commuting. Disc brakes and fenders are going to make rainy day commutes more comfortable plus it has internal cable routing(which my Domane 2.0 does not.) Using this bike will spare the other one some abuse. I felt bad about the road grit rubbing on my rim brakes.

My Strava times between the two bikes were pretty close after 20+ miles of riding, despite the CrossRip weighing 2 lbs. more (bathroom scale measurement.) I rode with Gatorskins on both. Didn't miss the IsoSpeed. The CrossRip felt really stable.

Originally I had been thinking about a used Domane ALR Disc, but those were twice as expensive and I still wasn't certain about fender clearance. I feel like I got a real bargain with the CrossRip. I'll spend some time playing with the fit before replacing the cables and housing.

that is a great looking bike. it looks like a very nice commuter. Enjoy it and ride it... LOTS!

what was it like buying a bike on BBB? or maybe that should be another post.
Old 04-25-19, 09:58 AM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
that is a great looking bike. it looks like a very nice commuter. Enjoy it and ride it... LOTS!

what was it like buying a bike on BBB? or maybe that should be another post.
Thanks! I have a lot of miles planned for it.

Dealing with BBB is really convenient since I'm local - their sales listings pop up on Craigslist and eBay when I search. I don't have to pay for shipping, their instore prices are 10% cheaper, but I get charged 9% sales tax.

Last July I bought the Domane from them during an eBay sale, sight unseen. It was already built, but the wheels weren't very true. The CrossRip was already boxed up to ship, so I couldn't test ride it. They wanted to charge a $40 build fee, but I declined and built it up at home. This is what I originally picked up:

Nothing required beyond a multi-tool for setup. Attaching the front disc brake was a little confusing since I hadn't done that before.

There are more dings on the bike than photos really show, so if you're picky about paint condition dealing with them may be hit or miss. Overall I like the ease of buying through their shop as opposed to individuals on Craigslist. They have a return policy and regular hours. Buying anything used may require some basic maintenance though. Stuff like replacing brake pads, bar tape, cable and housing, truing wheels and a wash. My tolerance level for imperfections is high as long as I get something I can work with... plus I'm shopping for ~$500 road bikes, so I need to be realistic about what's out there.
Old 04-25-19, 10:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Nice bike! Flog it!

But... Huh. I thought BBB was part of Performance / Nashbar (RIP)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-25-19, 11:18 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Nice bike!

I just picked up a 2015 Crossrip Elite myself cheap last fall. I have it set up for trail riding. It makes a good distance rider. Much faster and more efficient than my hybrid on those long flat trails.

I've been very happy with it. Does great on rail trails. And it can handle a cut across a grass field, rugged dirt path, etc.

I still much prefer my more upright hybrid for commuting though.

The Crossrip has become my weekend fun bike
Old 04-28-19, 05:23 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had settled on the crossrip and intended to get the Elite. LBS gave me great deal on the LTD and I was so glad to get the 105 package.

The fit was a bugger for me. I am in between a 56 and 58. Went with the 58 and had to do a couple of things to get it where I wanted. Wound up with a 60mm stem and a zero setback seat post. I'm probably more upright than a lot of folks.

I changed the cassette to 12-28 and swapped the big chainring to 46. Ran 35mm marathon supremes the first year I had it as I was riding through a construction zone that varied from grass to dirt to gravel. Switched to 28mm after that and have been very happy.

I put sintered brake pads on the first year I owned it and have never changed them. They're still in good condition! My town is quite flat though, so that has to be considered.

I think they are great commuting/all around bikes. One of the members on the forum (kcbikecommuter?) Puts some serious miles on one.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 04-28-19, 07:09 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Looks like a really good commuter bike. I have a similar set up on a Schwinn SS DBX that I turned into a commuter/errands bike. I have not weighed it with everything mounted, but it is pretty heavy. Slow acceleration but once you get up to speed it performs nicely. It is the first time I have had fenders on a bike, at least since I was a kid a long time ago. It is nice not having all the wet and muck getting thrown up on yourself.