Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

front rando rack on an S&S bike

Old 05-16-19, 09:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
front rando rack on an S&S bike

google isn't helping me much. Anyone have a bike like this?
Old 05-16-19, 09:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Got the bike, haven't put a rack on it. If that were a significant part of my plans, I'd give the builder the rack and ask him to build the fork for the rack. You're going to have to mount/unmount the rack every time you unpack/pack the bike to get the fork into the case. There's probably enough room in the corner of the case to fit a small rack while packing without much problem.
Old 05-16-19, 09:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I assume you mean a small platform rack that sits above the front wheel, mounted either to mid-fork low rider rack mounts or mounted on canti brake posts. Plus mounted on the fork crown.

I do not have such a rack fitted to my S&S bike.

But since such a rack would be fitted to the fork and not the frame, if you got an S&S bike that had a fork that could not take such a rack you could try to find another fork with comparable rake and comparable axle to crown length so you could fit such a rack to it. If your frame is a really tall size, steerer tube length could be an issue too, but that is unlikely.

I assume you would be talking about a fork like this. But as I noted, the dimensions would have to be similar to your old fork to make sure the handling is not impaired.
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Soma-F...oss-Fork-Canti
Old 05-16-19, 12:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I was just curious how people did this with a traditional rando front rack. I am going to make something like a Rene Herse CP 1 https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...erpull-brakes/
With a mount for a light.

to be more specific about my bike, I just made the fork and I am trying to decide how to make the rack. The thing I was thinking was to make the struts removable, so I could pivot them back. I suppose many of the Nitto racks are like this since they need to be adjustable.

Attachment points on the fork are not an issue.
Old 05-16-19, 02:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Not sure what type of brakes you have. This is what one looks like for the canti brake posts and single threaded rod for fork crown.
https://www.amazon.com/Velo-Orange-P.../dp/B004JKIA5E

Good luck.
Old 05-16-19, 06:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I was looking for first hand experience since googling for various terms related to S&S and randonneur rack failed so spectacularly.

I am probably using centerpull Raids, which is one reason I posted the link to the rack that I did.
Old 05-21-19, 12:46 PM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E, my friend Luke has several coupled rando bikes, including one that he rode for last summer's Midnight Express overnight 200k. He has a regular Nitto or VO that he has to remove and does *not* fit into the S&S case with all of the rest of the junk. He says it's pretty annoying and that he just uses a rackless bag set up for that bike when traveling.

If you were to make a rack from scratch, I would say have the struts be removable (like the Nitto M18 or Mark's Rack, or the Rawland Rando Rack), and also figure out a way to have the backstop pivot around a bolt so the whole rack can be "flattened".
Old 05-22-19, 06:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

CJ, thanks for the feedback. I expect a lot of people just skip the rack. I think I will want a big front bag on PBP, because I expect getting food to be somewhat problematic at some controls.

iTrod showed me the low rider rack from his coupled CoMotion. The struts pivot nicely on that, although I think it's just a standard rack. I was thinking about pivoting the tombstone, but I think having that fixed is probably okay. I would just make it as short as possible and still engage the bag. The decaleur makes up for a lot of slop.