Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Centurion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Centurion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 10:28 AM
UtahSkip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Centurion

Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. I recently acquired an older Centurion and have been trying to locate information on it. However I have not been able to find any solid information regarding an "Executive"

From what I can tell it still has all of the original Sun Tour7 GT components and is most likely a mid 80's model.

According to Velobase.com the head badge is from a Centurion Super Tour 15. From mid eighties bike from possibly German Centurion brand. This badge was not used on US marketed WSI Centurion bikes

I am a lover of all things vintage and hate seeing thing dismantled to be "upgraded" I'd like to clean it up and get it road worthy . She deserves to be rolling down the street. I would appreciate any information you could provide regarding history, value, etc.

I tried to post pics with this post but the forum doesn't allow you to do so until you have 10 posts. Weird.
Old 05-19-19, 11:15 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Welcome! The 10 post thing is to deter drive by spamming - it's annoying, but does a good job. Just go to the introductions forum and say hi to 9 more folks.

As for your bike, it's likely one of the German or Australian models. I don't recognize it as a U.S. model.

If you could describe more of the parts, that might make it clearer where it stood in their lineup.
Old 05-20-19, 06:29 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I can't recall seeing an Executive but I have seen about a handful of Super Tour 15. They were an entry level. light touring model and the serial numbers have all dated to mid-1981. Given that your Executive has the same badge, I suspect it is also an entry level model from the same period. What is the serial number?
Old 05-20-19, 01:20 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
I have been trying to find some info for the Centurion Executive. I have seen only a couple pics of the model and they are not that good quality pics. It was in fact a model that was sold in the US, there is a Advertisment in Howie Cohen's collection that was from June 1982 , that has the Centurion Executive on sale from $199 down to $159!

Although i have not seen a 1982 Centurion Catalog. I have never seen much reference to the Executive as being a US model. It may have been brought in from Centurion Germany. not sure though.

here is the link for the Ad from Howie Cohen's collection
Everything Bicycles
Old 05-20-19, 01:41 PM
UtahSkip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As soon as I meet the requirements to be able to post pics I will definitely get them up. Is there anything specific you would like to see? I have pics of the head badge, serial number, derailer, and shifter ready to go
Old 05-20-19, 01:42 PM
UtahSkip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The serial number is F1068426
Old 05-20-19, 03:17 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Some of us here tend to like Centurions.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 05-20-19, 09:31 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
That is probably either a German Centurion or a Danish Centurion, possibly the latter (although nobody has this nailed it down yet). The German Centurions of that era tended to look similar to the Americans ones, including similar graphics and the same head badges.

Presumably, the head badge on your bike looks like this:

Old 05-21-19, 07:42 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the serial number, the frame was manufactured inAugust 1981 or 1991 by Fairly of Taiwan. Given that the badge is the same as the 1981 manufactured Super Tour 15, it would appear to be 1981. August is in the grey area were it could be either a 1981 or 1982 model. The advertisement provided by freslider suggests a 1982 model but a peak season sale of ~20% may also indicate clearance of previous years models. Regardless, it is 1981-1982. Fairly was a known supplier to Western States Imports, the American owner of the Centurion brand. The era, in combination with the country of origin and the MSRP, suggests an entry level model. The advertisement also indicates it was at least sold in the USA and may have been a USA market model.
Old 05-21-19, 01:37 PM
UtahSkip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UtahSkip
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. I recently acquired an older Centurion and have been trying to locate information on it. However I have not been able to find any solid information regarding an "Executive"

From what I can tell it still has all of the original Sun Tour7 GT components and is most likely a mid 80's model.

According to Velobase.com the head badge is from a Centurion Super Tour 15. From mid eighties bike from possibly German Centurion brand. This badge was not used on US marketed WSI Centurion bikes

I am a lover of all things vintage and hate seeing thing dismantled to be "upgraded" I'd like to clean it up and get it road worthy . She deserves to be rolling down the street. I would appreciate any information you could provide regarding history, value, etc.

I tried to post pics with this post but the forum doesn't allow you to do so until you have 10 posts. Weird.

Old 05-21-19, 01:57 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I know it says "Executive" but that looks spot on like the 1979 Omega I used to own. Same shifters, same derailleurs, Same color & pinstriping.

I found it rode a lot smaller than the top tube measurement suggested. I put a Shimano 3x10 drivetrain on with friction down tube shifters, and 700c wheels. To do that the front brake needed to be long reach center-pull, & I had to braze on the derailleur hanger so the nut wouldn't interfere with the smallest cog. I also had to drill an M5 hole in the bottom bracket shell to install a cable guide & fashion a bronze bushing for modern 105 front derailler. But otherwise it was a fun project & a blast to ride. With all modern compentry.

Finding 1 inch threaded headset with 30mm stack height was a bit of a chore, but well worth it.

Good luck on your project.

Here is an after pic.

20190305_163259 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Edit: I have no idea why BF insists on rendering it upside down. Trust me, it's rightside up everywhere else not on this messege board.

Last edited by base2; 05-21-19 at 02:21 PM.