Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Choosing a steel frame...

Old 07-02-19, 06:25 PM
RyanAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I chose...

...or a frame finally chose me.

Found a medium Elephant National Forest Explorer and it’s making its way to Pennsylvania.

This is was such a fun conversation and I thank you all for helping me along. I came awfully close to a VO Polyvalent, one of the Black Mountain frames, a salmon-colored Crust Nor’easter with a threaded headset, and an Endpoint Hunter / Gatherer. Probably the closest on the BMC or the Crust. I was trying to be patient until more Road+ frames show up this fall... then that Crust gave me pause...

But things have a way of working out. And there’s always N+1...

Thanks so much gang!
Old 07-03-19, 05:28 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanAK
I chose...

...or a frame finally chose me.

Found a medium Elephant National Forest Explorer and it’s making its way to Pennsylvania.

This is was such a fun conversation and I thank you all for helping me along. I came awfully close to a VO Polyvalent, one of the Black Mountain frames, a salmon-colored Crust Nor’easter with a threaded headset, and an Endpoint Hunter / Gatherer. Probably the closest on the BMC or the Crust. I was trying to be patient until more Road+ frames show up this fall... then that Crust gave me pause...

But things have a way of working out. And there’s always N+1...

Thanks so much gang!
Great choice.

I'd like to try a NFE as well.

My BMC Monstercross is a great bike as well, so I'll be fine.
Old 07-07-19, 06:53 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Congrats on the frame find, Ryan! I'd like to do UnPAved this year (assuming a new BMC MCD in time), perhaps I'll have to look you up if I do.
Old 07-08-19, 05:17 PM
RyanAK

Thanks gang. I’m really looking forward to the bike. It’ll be a while until I can build it out, but collecting components is always fun.

And if anyone does unPAved, the route goes over the covered bridge in our front yard. Say hello! Chances are I won’t be riding, but the local land conservancy that I’m on the bird of may sponsor an aide station at the bridge.

Thanks for all the the thoughtful input along the way. So much fun.

R
Old 07-08-19, 05:19 PM
RyanAK

Also... this has been getting built to keep me rolling until the NFE can be built. Spencer and I are having a ton of fun rebuilding my old college bike.

Likes For RyanAK:
Old 07-08-19, 08:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Also... this has been getting built to keep me rolling until the NFE can be built. Spencer and I are having a ton of fun rebuilding my old college bike.

Repainted...what is it originally? You paint or had it done somewhere?
Old 07-08-19, 08:11 PM
RyanAK

1997 MUSA Trek 820 Mountain Track. Spencer and I stripped it bare and rattle-canned it Krylon “Oxford Blue”. It’s a pretty good job. 8 or so coats with a couple coats of clear.

Ever see a 4yo wield a can of spray paint? One of those trigger attachments helps. Ha.

All original 3x7 drive train. New Soma Portola bars and Nitto stem. (And shim... 1-1/8” threaded. Ugh!) Used bar ends, levers, saddle. New cables, housing and brake pads. A new set of tires and Bob’s yer uncle.

Trying to to figure out a front rack and basket. Any thoughts? Anyone got something in the parts bin?

R

Last edited by RyanAK; 07-08-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 01:28 AM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not for the OP but for others, Jamis offers their Escapade as a frameset for $850. Just ordered one from my LBS and am excited to receive it this week. Pretty beautiful and functional in my opinion.
Old 07-09-19, 08:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
1997 MUSA Trek 820 Mountain Track. Spencer and I stripped it bare and rattle-canned it Krylon “Oxford Blue”. It’s a pretty good job. 8 or so coats with a couple coats of clear.

Ever see a 4yo wield a can of spray paint? One of those trigger attachments helps. Ha.

All original 3x7 drive train. New Soma Portola bars and Nitto stem. (And shim... 1-1/8” threaded. Ugh!) Used bar ends, levers, saddle. New cables, housing and brake pads. A new set of tires and Bob’s yer uncle.

Trying to to figure out a front rack and basket. Any thoughts? Anyone got something in the parts bin?

R
Funny- my 8yo and I used spray.bike on a 24" MTB frame that she helped me build up earlier this spring and she chose the same shade blue. The only thing original on it is the heavy 3x crank. Double the age and they are still all over the place with spray cans!
As for a front rack- I use the Jandd Extreme rack and love it. But thats with 2 rear panniers up front on my touring bike plus more on top when needed(like chicken fingers in a bucket!). Might be overkill for what you need. https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FREXT

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-09-19, 11:31 PM
RyanAK

Oh that’s more rack than I need for sure! Maybe if the kids and I start doing S24Os when we get set up with a trailer...

I tried a Carradice Pendle on the bars but it’s no-go with the brake cable. Looks adventurous though!

I definitely think a rack with a basket and bag is the way forward.

Spencer checks our work on the BB and cranks (“smooth, dad!”) while Nora gets messy with the old chain.
Old 07-09-19, 11:36 PM
RyanAK

Oh... and this old Trek is just the best kind of distraction until the NFE frame arrives. Boy is that exciting... and intimidating. Never started with JUST a frame before. Gotta spec EVERYTHING!

New thread for that. Eventually.

Though I did see the new BMC Road+ frame colors for the next batch... wowzers! N+2?

R