Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Battery pack

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Battery pack

Old 05-31-19, 02:51 PM
badangel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery pack

I got an e bike with extra battery but its really hard to carry in my bag. Even if i carry its getting wet cause its a delivery bag. I dont wanna carry in my bag. Is there anyway to set to my rear bike rack with security. What is ur advice. Its a li-on 48V-13A. Amego infinite battery. Thanx
Old 05-31-19, 03:55 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Can't you strap it to the rack (unless yours doesn't have one (if so, procure a seatpost rack) and wrap in plastic if you're concerned about rain? You might consider placing a "bed" of foam between the rack and battery for insulation. BTW, met Virginia two years in a row at Interbike; she's a real enthusiast and seems like a great shop to do business with.
Old 05-31-19, 08:30 PM
badangel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Can't you strap it to the rack (unless yours doesn't have one (if so, procure a seatpost rack) and wrap in plastic if you're concerned about rain? You might consider placing a "bed" of foam between the rack and battery for insulation. BTW, met Virginia two years in a row at Interbike; she's a real enthusiast and seems like a great shop to do business with.
I m delivering food. Somebody can stole it i need something not easy to take off and should be in a bag.
Old 05-31-19, 10:14 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Now I get it; look at steelcore and their locking straps or a similar product.
Old 06-02-19, 02:15 PM
badangel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Now I get it; look at steelcore and their locking straps or a similar product.
Im in canada and this is pretty expensive. 700$ Bag for a battery!! I dont think so.
Old 06-04-19, 01:49 PM
elizilla 
Awkward Rider

Bikes: Small fleet of e-trikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'm thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-951.../dp/B00017IPLS

Put a piece of plywood inside, on the bottom, for strength. Drill some holes through the plywood and the box, and use big washers and bolts to attach the box on your bike's rear rack. Leave it permanently mounted on the rack. Maybe seal around the holes with Shoe Goo or similar to make it more waterproof.

Put the battery in it, maybe wrapped in a foam cushion to protect it from jarring. Close the box and put a padlock on the clasp.

The box could be removed from your rack, using tools, but if you do it right the tool user would need to get a wrench on a bolt head that is inside the locked box.

Note I know nothing about that toolbox I linked; I just picked it as an example of what I am talking about, it isn't a specific recommendation. I'd go to the hardware store and look for something like it that is sturdy, locking, and of a good size to fit the battery. There are both plastic and metal toolboxes out there. Plastic will be quieter and won't rust, but metal might give more security. The weak point in any such box is going to be the hinges so I'd pay close attention to those.
Old 06-04-19, 02:02 PM
elizilla 
Awkward Rider

Bikes: Small fleet of e-trikes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
If you get a bigger box you could put the food in it as well. In which case you would need to build something inside the box to hold the battery still, keep it from crushing the food.

There are cheap imitation Givi locking topcases for motorcycles. Here's one that is 30 liters: https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Motorc...dp/B01MF5S1S4/

This would look weirdly large on a bicycle but if it makes your life easier who cares?
Old 06-10-19, 08:47 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Get a box similar to the Pelican cases, that your battery can fit in. You can bolt it to a rack and lock the box. Pack in some foam to keep the battery safe inside while cruising bumpy roads.

-SP
Old 06-11-19, 04:15 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
My old bike had one battery in the frame and one on the rack. I properly fitted them, so I could lock them in place.

My current one has one rack battery either side of the frame. Again, properly fitted.

If you're going to use two batteries, it's really best to fit them properly - remember weight balance/distribution though, as my earlier one had handling issues.