Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Overtraining

Old 06-27-19, 12:54 PM
kevinabbot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Overtraining

So I am pretty sure I have been overtraining or the gears I am using are way too high..
It all started after I did a peloton workout where I averaged 250 watts for 45 mins. I have been able to do peloton workouts before without a problem and it does not really seem like I have been doing anything crazy. It's been a hard ride every over day. The problem may be my job. I have to stand for 6 hours straight (I work at a bike shop) so me having to stand around all day may be the cause..

Anyways the injury. It's a pain behind my kneecap. It hurts when going upstairs or trying to go semi hard on my bike. It got the point where I had to drop from a group ride on Sunday. Since then I haven't been on my bike. I have been icing my knee daily and I went for a bike ride today but I still felt it and if I actually put down >300 watts it would've really hurt again.

What should I do to recover and how can I get back to being able to go hard ASAP without just making it come back.. Thanks.
Old 06-27-19, 01:22 PM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
In my own mind I've always separated overtraining from being injured. I often feel like I overtrain. For me, overtraining doesn't hurt in any specific area. I just don't have the full "go" I might otherwise have . A day or two or three of easy rides, or sometimes a few complete days off helps. I'm definitely no kind of authority here, but it seems you have an Injury, time off or some very easy ride days may be necessary. I'm thinking If me, I'd be tempted to have a Doc take a look if it doesn't get better very fast.
Good luck getting back to 100% soon!!
Old 06-27-19, 01:53 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
That's not overtraining.

Maybe some type of overuse injury or you simply aggravated something.

Rest up, antiinflammatories, foam roller, stretch the psoas and whatever else.

Seeking professional advice would be best, of course, so I'd do that if at all possible.
Old 06-27-19, 02:20 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Are you sure you have the best bike fit/setup? Could be a contributing factor.
Old 06-27-19, 03:03 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I'd bet a bike fit issue.
Old 06-27-19, 09:31 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That's not overtraining.

Maybe some type of overuse injury or you simply aggravated something.

Rest up, antiinflammatories, foam roller, stretch the psoas and whatever else.

Seeking professional advice would be best, of course, so I'd do that if at all possible.
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'd bet a bike fit issue.
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Are you sure you have the best bike fit/setup? Could be a contributing factor.
All of this.

Overtraining isn't a specific pain in one place, that's called an injury. Overtraining is overall exhaustion, depression, high or low HR, etc etc etc. It manifests differently for different people at different times, but it's not a specific pain in one place.

Get a bike fit, they're important.
Old 06-28-19, 07:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,641 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin****t
What should I do to recover and how can I get back to being able to go hard ASAP without just making it come back.. Thanks.
You're also going to have to take it slow to riding hard and/or a lot, unfortunately. Get serious about your recovery and maintain your same lifestyle - getting up early etc. But instead spend that time stretching, strengthening, reading/learning and doing anti-inflammatory activity. I've had to take months off the bike at a time due to chronic lower back and knee problems. They still flare up some times, but I can keep them under control by having a stretching and strengthening routine, and knowing when to back off if symptoms flare up.

Accept that this may take while and don't force it - you don't want to make it worse by doing too much too soon. Back off for a while then ease into it. I know you're excited to train and race, but you have decades ahead of you of being fast and strong before you have to worry about getting old. Cycling will always be there when you're ready for it.
Old 06-28-19, 09:05 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
That's an injury.

https://www.outsideonline.com/239882...drome-research

6 years ago I wound up suffering overtraining syndrome, which then got wildly out of control. For me it went on like this.

I came down with the flu, symptoms kicked in during the first race of the season.

A week after the flu I panicked about the lost fitness and without recovering enough from the flu, I started the equivalent of Base 2 -- 20-25 hours a week. By week four I could barely turn the cranks on my bike. I should have just given myself more time off to recover.
Likes For kensuf:
Old 06-28-19, 01:45 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I didn't see sleep mentioned. Especially for a college kid, kinda new to racing. Pick up more Z hours. And even if you can't sleep - chilling in bed helps.

I agree with what others mentioned. Fit, cadence etc. Tendons take longer to develop than muscle. If you are younger, be aware of that. The body may not be over trained, but there may be over use.
Too low and too high cadence can contribute to tendon use fatigue - as can bike fit.

Standing all day is worse than all day on your feet moving. I don't think it much a contributor to over-training, but will fatigue you and moving more is better than standing or sitting and pooling fluid in the legs.
My kid is often on his feet 6 hours before a race and it likely costs a place or few (my story and I'm sticking with it) and is certainly not good, but not going to over train him.

Sleep more, and maybe do more easier days with one hard one each week.

Travel and time zone will really mess with you (see Brandon's result from ITT yesterday), but I doubt that is a concern of yours now. It may be if you travel to Collegiate Nats on a lessor level.
Likes For Doge: