Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike away goal weight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 05:20 PM
Clydesdalecliff

Bikes: 2016 Emonda S5, Navigator 200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know color really doesn't have much top do with a bike's performance, and a well practiced cyclist can be better at mechanical shifting than a rank amateur with electronic shifting; here's my question.
When I reach goal weight I can get a new bike. The one I really like had an awesome color scheme, and Ultegra Di2 disc and carbon hoops, another bike has mechanical Di2 disc and carbon hoops, but I'm not a fan of the paint? Should I get the higher level spec and paint job I longer or get the fully adequate mechanical with functional paint? Both frames are same level from same manufacturer.
Old 07-09-19, 05:34 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Clydesdalecliff
I know color really doesn't have much top do with a bike's performance
Color has everything top do with a bike's performance.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-09-19, 05:55 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
What do you mean by “mechanical DI2”? DI2 is electric shifting. Do you mean regular mechanical shifting? If the prices are the same, get the one with electronic shifting unless you absolutely hate the color scheme.
Old 07-09-19, 06:21 PM
Clydesdalecliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Color has everything top do with a bike's performance.
Old 07-09-19, 06:22 PM
Clydesdalecliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I meant to say mechanical Ultegra disc.
Old 07-09-19, 06:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I know color really doesn't have much top do with a bike's performance, and a well practiced cyclist can be better at mechanical shifting than a rank amateur with electronic shifting; here's my question.
When I reach goal weight I can get a new bike. The one I really like had an awesome color scheme, and Ultegra Di2 disc and carbon hoops, another bike has mechanical Di2 disc and carbon hoops, but I'm not a fan of the paint? Should I get the higher level spec and paint job I longer or get the fully adequate mechanical with functional paint? Both frames are same level from same manufacturer.
Here is the deal: with electronic shifting, pros and beginners are all equal as far as shifting goes. If you want the lightest bike possible, buy one with your preference of mechanical groupset. If you are so focussed on appearance, buy the bike that looks best to you. By the time you reach your goal weight, the colour scheme you are looking for may no longer exist. Honestly, I have no idea what my bike looks like when I am riding it, all I think about is how it pretty much disappears under me and does what I want it to when I want it to.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-09-19, 06:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I meant to say mechanical Ultegra disc.
I ride a Cervelo C3. I planned to buy it in mechanical Ultegra disc, but they were about to release a new model and the shop offered me Di2 for the same price. I had never even ridden a bike with electronic shifting, I kept hearing once you try it you'll never go back, and I didn't want to make my hobby even more expensive. Honestly after the test ride I preferred mech. You feel slightly more connected to the bike. But I bought Di2 and two years later I'm so glad I did.

You can't go wrong either way at this level.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-09-19, 06:54 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Honestly after the test ride I preferred mech. You feel slightly more connected to the bike. But I bought Di2 and two years later I'm so glad I did.

What made you change your mind about how you felt about Di2?

Did the feeling of being more connected to the bike without Di2 change?
Old 07-10-19, 10:19 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Reaching a goal weight is a huge accomplishment. Get the one you like the best, you deserve it - you're the one who lost all that weight. Congrats!
Likes For joelcool:
Old 07-10-19, 10:39 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What made you change your mind about how you felt about Di2?

Did the feeling of being more connected to the bike without Di2 change?
I used to get to the top of a hill and have my finger on the shifter, half pressed, ready to go the instant I reached the crest. If you think about it, there's no actual reason to do that, it's not like pressing the thing halfway was the slow part. Mech shifters fit my fingers better too. Just a bunch of little stuff like that.

I bought Di2 instead because at the price, I thought I'd be dumb not to.

I still feel like I gave something (small) up, but I guess there's a different kind of feeling of connection in the sense that I know whenever I ask for a shift it's going to be immediate and drama free.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-10-19, 11:18 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
****, if I got to buy a new bike every time I lost some weight, I'd have disappeared years ago
Old 07-10-19, 12:58 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I would go for the Di2 for the shifters. I prefer Di2 Hydro levers over the mechanical as they look better and are less bulky which I find to be more comfortable.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-10-19, 03:37 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I test rode bikes with hydraulic and mechanical disc brakes last year when I was trying to find one which fit me. At that time Di2 wasn't in my budget but bikes with 105 and Ultegra mechanical shifting were and the Ultegra groups were spec'ing hydraulic brakes.

I liked the hydraulic versions much better than the mechanical... They stopped better, faster and more precisely in my opinion. The cable seemed to need more force to get the same stopping power and it felt like there was some give in the lever as I increased braking force.

Since then I was fortunate enough to find an Ultegra Di2, hydraulic disc brake equipped Giant Road bike for a really good price and have to say that I'm really glad that I was able to fund this purchase. Shifting under load is precise and predictable in situations where once in a while the 105 groupset on the bike this one replaced would not always shift up reliably. With the Di2 if I'm climbing a hill and want to go up the rear cassette it shifts up without fail. The 105 would do this 95% of the time...

I've converted that road bike to a flat bar hybrid, have ridden it to work a few times since owning the Giant and while it shifts okay it's just never going to be as buttery smooth as Di2 can be when properly setup.

So, if it were me and I were treating myself to a new bike it would have Ultegra Di2 shifting with Hydraulic disc brakes. That's my .02.
Likes For ronin4740:
Old 07-10-19, 05:02 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I thought I would love Di2, test rode a Di2 equipped bike and also felt disconnected from shifting the way Forrest described, but eventually bought it anyway because it was the better deal.

I've grown to appreciate Di2 more after several months with it. Di2 is consistent, needs no force, auto-trims the FD, and displays the gear ratio on my bike computer. Doesn't ruin mechanical shifting for me though.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-10-19, 06:24 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Both my road bikes are Di2, but I still have mechanical on the indoor trainer bike. I like Di2 more, but it would not be a deal breaker on a new bike.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 07-10-19, 09:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
You are asking if you should get a bike you really like the look of that has quality components, or a bike you don't like the look of that has quality components.

Which to get- hmm...
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-11-19, 10:38 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Get the one with the good paint job if it has good enough components. Hardly ever do I see a new bike with a color that I like.
Old 07-12-19, 08:56 AM
eric1971

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
If it is in your budget, get the one you like more. The more you like the bike, the more likely you are to ride it. It can save money in the long run as well. Buy the bike you like the first time, instead of having to upgrade later because you were not happy with your purchase.
Old 12-20-19, 07:17 AM
Clydesdalecliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update on weight loss

I've dropped 100 pounds from my highest recorded weight, and my wife moved the goal posts, in my favor. I started the process 10# less than my highest record because the lower point is where I actually started the plan. We have agreed that since we're in the Christmas season we're waiting until after the first of the year at te earliest to move on the new bike. Now the bike I like with Ultegra Di2 disc is available in the same paint job with Force AXS. The AXS costs more, but the drive train modifications from stock are less expensive overall by the time I'm done than Di2; AXS needs only cassette and chain for gear range, and had a less expensive power meter option, Di2 requires new RD, cassette, chain, and the power meter is twice the cost of the one for AXS. I'm really leaning toward the AXS equipped bike because of final cost.
Old 12-20-19, 09:17 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
First...congrats on having and attaining a goal weight. If it was my call I'd buy the one that speaks to me. If I look at my bike and love it, that's worth a lot.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-20-19, 10:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
****, if I got to buy a new bike every time I lost some weight, I'd have disappeared years ago
Yeah ... but if I had to give the bike back every time I gained weight, I'd be several bikes in debt.
Old 12-20-19, 02:29 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I've dropped 100 pounds from my highest recorded weight, and my wife moved the goal posts, in my favor. I started the process 10# less than my highest record because the lower point is where I actually started the plan. We have agreed that since we're in the Christmas season we're waiting until after the first of the year at te earliest to move on the new bike. Now the bike I like with Ultegra Di2 disc is available in the same paint job with Force AXS. The AXS costs more, but the drive train modifications from stock are less expensive overall by the time I'm done than Di2; AXS needs only cassette and chain for gear range, and had a less expensive power meter option, Di2 requires new RD, cassette, chain, and the power meter is twice the cost of the one for AXS. I'm really leaning toward the AXS equipped bike because of final cost.
I'd gladly pay more for Di2...Force AXS is heavy, clunky shifting, not as reliable, and replacement parts (cassette/chain) are ridiculously expensive. Plus, I'm pretty sure you can talk the shop into switching out the Di2 rear derailleur for a minimal fee. And if not, you can sell it and come close to breaking even.

From what I've seen, Force AXS bikes are usually ~$500 more than their Di2 counterparts, so I'd think that even with the higher PM price, the Di2 option would end up being pretty close to the AXS, when it's all said and done.
Old 12-20-19, 02:40 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
. If you want the lightest bike possible, buy one with your preference of mechanical groupset.
Old post, but Ultegra DI2 weighs less than mechanical Ultegra.
Old 12-22-19, 01:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Outside of no equal options under budget, I'd never buy a bike I didn't like the looks of. That's just a bad buy at any price.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-22-19, 02:02 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
You’re married to the frame, so get the frame and paint scheme you really like and want.

You’re only dating the components, and you can always get different or better ones later.
Likes For billridesbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.