Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is there a category for a fat tired road bike?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-17-19, 11:21 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Thinking about a N+1 recently and was looking around for a used road bike since I find myself riding roads more often than not. I do however get off the pavement on to hard packed gravel about 10% of the time. Looking for a road bike with an endurance road geometry and was wondering if the industry is going in this direction since a lot of the newer bikes mention largest tire sizes that can fit. I like the quick accelerating and handling feeling of a road bike. Seen all the latest "gimmicks" being done to frames and stuff but not sure if they are just that, gimmicks that will disappear in the near future. I figure the tire size issue is the easiest way to get comfy off road.

Any thoughts and maybe suggestions for a used bike that can fit maybe up to 32mm tires? TIA..
Old 07-17-19, 11:34 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The short and dirty answer is you basically want a cyclocross bike. The geometry will be roughly that of a dedicated road bike, albeit with a slightly higher bottom bracket, but with fork and stays to clear (at least) a ~35mm tire.

The geometry difference between my CX framed bike and my full-on road bike comes in the form of half a degree more slack in the head and seattubes, a bottom bracket 1/4" higher, and chainstays 3/8" longer.
Old 07-17-19, 12:35 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
That category is Endurance Road Bikes - most brands now have this segment broken off separately. Most of these bikes are designed around a 32-35mm max tire size and with lighter road-style frame/fork design than the current crop of gravel bikes.
Old 07-17-19, 12:52 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Thinking about a N+1 recently and was looking around for a used road bike since I find myself riding roads more often than not. I do however get off the pavement on to hard packed gravel about 10% of the time. Looking for a road bike with an endurance road geometry and was wondering if the industry is going in this direction since a lot of the newer bikes mention largest tire sizes that can fit. I like the quick accelerating and handling feeling of a road bike. Seen all the latest "gimmicks" being done to frames and stuff but not sure if they are just that, gimmicks that will disappear in the near future. I figure the tire size issue is the easiest way to get comfy off road.

Any thoughts and maybe suggestions for a used bike that can fit maybe up to 32mm tires? TIA..
Loads of road bikes can fit 32mm tires. Before the narrow tire fad kicked in hard during the 1980s, it was typical for road bikes to clear 32s. And over the last few years, the road market has been trending back toward bigger clearances. Current "endurance" road bikes can nearly always fit at least that big, and some road bikes of other "styles" can as well.

Depending on the geometry particulars, tires sometimes won't get in the way until they're considerably larger than that, so there are some "allroad" or "gravel" bikes out there that can clear 40s or even bigger while maintaining road-like fit and a mostly-road-like lively handling and pedaling feel. Examples of this style would be bikes like the Open UP or Black Mountain Cycles Road+.
Old 07-17-19, 01:06 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Look for a GT Grade or a newer disc Cannondale Synapse.
Old 07-17-19, 02:08 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

I was in the same predicament as you, about 10-15% of my ride if a packed gravel, if not a little more rough. Bought a used cyclocross bike. Threw on some 38mm tires on. Happy.
Old 07-17-19, 03:33 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Most of the big brand "endurance road bikes" will fit 700 x 32c tires with their disc brake versions.

For instance, the Cannondale Synapse fits 32c tires, and the Trek Domane disc fits 35c tires (it comes stock with 32's). I have even seen photos of a Domane with 38c Panaracer Gravel King slick tires, though I haven't seen it up close to see how bad the clearance was (I am skeptical).
Old 07-17-19, 03:53 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
I have to confess that I do already have a CX bike. Its CF Redline Conquest that I like very much. Right now I am riding on 25mm tires and its not too bad. I was getting a little greedy wanting a more road geometry while still being somewhat comfortable. I need to take a test ride on some of these road bikes to see if I am missing something. Am I???

Last edited by RockiesDad; 07-17-19 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 04:03 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
The bike you have will work but also N+1. Both answers are correct.

I will never dissuade someone from N+1 and I only ask that you return the favor.
Old 07-18-19, 09:54 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I was tempted to buy that bike. A CX bike like that can handle a lot like a road bike with bigger tires - as opposed to a more conservative gravel bike which will be longer, lower, slacker and have you leaning over less (more stack).

Keep what ya got - just get an extra set of wheels!

N-1 bikes. N+2 wheels.
Old 07-18-19, 09:55 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I have to confess that I do already have a CX bike. Its CF Redline Conquest that I like very much. Right now I am riding on 25mm tires and its not too bad. I was getting a little greedy wanting a more road geometry while still being somewhat comfortable. I need to take a test ride on some of these road bikes to see if I am missing something. Am I???

I wouldn't say you're missing anything. Wider tires than 25mm would make a noticeable difference, depending on what you're trying to achieve. Some of the funnest rides I've had are mixed surface routes on my SuperX with 32mm Gatorskins.
Old 07-21-19, 12:22 AM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fuji Sportif Disc. Mine will fit 35s no problem. I've run Knobbies on mine and taken it on singletrack with no issue. Mine wears 32c road tires most of the time and I swap on gravel tires for rough stuff. The second wheelset isn't a bad option either.
Old 07-21-19, 03:16 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Used road bike with endurance geo fitting a 35mm+:- Jamis Xenith Endura carbon.
Came out a few years back so used ones are around somewhere.