Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How long does it take...

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

How long does it take...

Old 04-12-07, 01:50 PM
TLN

Bikes: '86 Bianchi Super Leggera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long does it take...

How long does it take, on average for an athletic person, to come back from a severed ACL and a "mostly removed" meniscus for fixed gear/track? Anyone gone through this and how long did it take you?

Cheers,
Tom
Old 04-12-07, 02:53 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These knee injury threads that pop up every few weeks are making me uneasy. Time to start taking some glucosamine.

Last edited by hockeyteeth; 04-12-07 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-12-07, 03:04 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
about a year to a year and a half

one messenger here locally severed his ACL in december of 2005, he was back on his bike around july of 2006, and prettymuch back to normal by year end 2006, however, he will never ever be 100% again, just the way it is---------he switched to singlespeed for the most part, but does occasionally ride fixed, but he never has really ridden a whole lot, has like 4 customers and might ride 10-15 miles a day if that

doesnt mean eveyone is like that, but from what he told me it will never be 100% again, joint injuries, ligament tears or tendon injuries take a long time to get better, I know mine did when I had a distal radius fracture, that took more than a year to get better
Old 04-12-07, 03:35 PM
TLN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyteeth
These knee injury threads that pop up every few weeks are making me uneasy. Time to start taking some glucosamine.
You can take all the GC you can get your hands on my friend, but it doesnt do anything for ligaments... just joints.

Originally Posted by pedex
about a year to a year and a half

one messenger here locally severed his ACL in december of 2005, he was back on his bike around july of 2006, and prettymuch back to normal by year end 2006, however, he will never ever be 100% again, just the way it is---------he switched to singlespeed for the most part, but does occasionally ride fixed, but he never has really ridden a whole lot, has like 4 customers and might ride 10-15 miles a day if that

doesnt mean eveyone is like that, but from what he told me it will never be 100% again, joint injuries, ligament tears or tendon injuries take a long time to get better, I know mine did when I had a distal radius fracture, that took more than a year to get better
Damn thats a long time. I keep getting told, from both my PTs and my surgeon, that I will be back to 100% but no one seems to give me an answer about fixed/track riding. I know Im extremely impatient when it comes to getting back to riding, since its been 3 months since the incident and havent been on a bike, other than a spin bike at PT. I think I know what a heroin addict goes through now!
Maybe Ill get a flip-flop hub and switch to a single speed for a year or so and heal. Better that than the alternative!

Thanks!
Old 04-12-07, 03:42 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
the time involved is mostly due to the new ligament needing to "vascularize", and that takes a long time

if they say it will be 100% then maybe it will be, dunno, I dont know what kind of history the guy here had before he tore his ACL, I do know that even to this day the guy rides with his saddle jacked up about 2" too high LOL
Old 04-12-07, 04:14 PM
TLN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I commuted to work on fixed 5 days/week, played soccer 2 to 3 days/week and had my operation done at a sports medicine hospital and the PTs are into the sports area as well... but not one of them knows about riding fixed/track just geared. But if I have to wait a year or so for fixed but can get back on a geared soon, I can cope with that.