Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Short trip through South Eastern PA (need help with itinerary!).

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 08:37 AM
alliposa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am so grateful for this community!

Canadian here, living the last 8 months in South Jersey, USA. I'm learning old time music on my banjo and looking to ride the 60 miles from Collingswood, NJ to Oxford, PA to jam with my wonderful friends and teachers. I don't do cars!

I've been a cycle-commuter for years, cross-country here and there. As far as touring goes I've only done a couple 60 mile trips on the road in British Columbia prior to this so not terribly experienced.

I'm hoping to see some sights along the way, a trail or two, and camp if I can (a tall order considering all the gear I'd need in addition to my banjo). Definitely still in the dreaming stages of this adventure!

Anyone done any touring in SE Pennsylvania near the border with Delaware and NJ? Have any suggestions as regards safe and scenic routes to take? Will be riding a nicely tuned-up vintage touring bicycle.

many thanks!
Ally
Old 07-15-13, 01:12 PM
Gartenmeister

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I lived in Chester County from 2004-2007. Be really careful riding in that area. Back in the day it was rural, but is now full of McMansions and self-important commuters trying to get to Philly or wherever. A lot of the winding back roads turn into race tracks for Lexuses and BMWs during rush hour, particularly the numbered routes like 926, 52, 82, 41, etc. The smaller roads are not as busy but people drive FAST and shoulders are non-existent. Just be real careful.....it is gorgeous countryside in extreme northern Delaware and much of Chester County, particularly west of 202. 82 is a nice trip through horse country, but so are many other roads. Things get more laid-back out around Oxford. I think there are quite a few roadies in the Kennett/Unionville area so maybe some will chime in with route advice. I was not a cyclist when I lived there so can't really tell you what would be best on a bike.

There are many attractions in that area....depending on what you are into. It is an area rich in history, horticulture and art.
Old 07-15-13, 02:56 PM
john426

Bikes: Diamondback Response, Greenzone Folder, Huffy and Free Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome neighbor! I live in Collingswood too. You may want to check out the Philly Bike Club. They have all sorts of rides and most of them are in South East Pa. They also grade them on difficulty and most rides have cue sheets. It is also a great way to meet other local riders.

I love the idea of touring with a banjo. Music is a great way to meet other people. There are bars in the Pine Barrens and near the shore that have local "jam nights" where people are encouraged to perform.

John