Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Best saddles for big guys?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 05:31 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but since I didn't easily find it, may I ask again: What are the best saddles for big guys?

Obviously, steel rails will be important, as will a sturdy shell. I'd assume that Brooks leather saddles aren't really made for >250# guys?

Are male sit bones the same size for all male pelvises? Or should slightly wider "women's" saddles be considered?

I realize that this is a question that may not have a "standard" answer, but I've had saddles that actually failed within a month of installation. I didn't ride them to total failure, but I could see cracking in the plastic shell where the rails attached & assumed that it was no longer safe to ride. I've also had some saddles where the rails bent.

So... Most durable saddles? Your experiences with women's saddles? Saddles to absolutely avoid (I'd assume that this group would include any saddle with titanium raila or lighter weight)?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-14, 08:55 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 1,012 Posts
My sit bones are fairly narrow even though I am a big dude. I always had saddle pain before, but then moved to a more narrow saddle and poof...no more pain. Find one of those measuring deals at one of the shops and see what you really need. I ride a 142 Specialize Ronin....very comfy for me.

Old 11-30-14, 09:09 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks jaxgtr -

Your weight? I once had a Specialized Milano Gel and I bent the rails on it. I was heavier then, but I'm now down to 275# at 6'2".
Old 11-30-14, 10:56 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I've never had issues with saddles failing, but then all my saddles have Cro-Mo rails, not carbon or anything else more lightweight. As for your sit bones, they aren't a weight dependent thing, I'd recommend going to a bike shop and getting fitted if you are having saddle issues. Both my bikes have WTB saddles on them, and I've been happy with them. My cross bike has a WTB Valcom Race, and my mountain bike a WTB Speed-V. I've found both comfortable @ 290lbs, but they apparently are the right size for me.

I'm not a big believer in getting cushy padded saddles, in fact I actively believe they are a bad idea. The important thing about a saddle is that it is wide enough to support your sit bones, or else you'll get perineum issues.
Old 11-30-14, 11:42 AM
rick458

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 29er Sport Disc Trek Domane 4.0c

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Brooks B-17 Standard is very comfortable to me.
your sitz bones are where they are, reguardless of fluffiness.
Get measured, find a saddle in your width, and try it out.
I could feel my Bontrager saddle that came stock on the Domane was Too narrow, but the stock Specialized Riva was at least the right width.
I went with the Brooks and (For Me) it is one of the right saddles.
I would only shy away from Carbon Fiber rails, all the others should hold up fine.
Old 11-30-14, 03:37 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The amount of weight one is carrying on there frame has little to nothing to do with the width of one's sit bones. I'm 6'5" and vary from 250-275lbs. I use medium width saddles, Selle Italia Turbo, SLR T1, Flight, etc.

The only concessions I would make for big guys would normally be to go for steel rails. But, now I even have to admit to having a carbon railed saddle (Selle Italia Turbomatic Team) that's working fine for me.
Old 11-30-14, 03:49 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Specialized shop that does BG Fits should have a butt-meter. Check if you have one close by.
Old 11-30-14, 04:06 PM
Midtown

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear good things about [h=1]WTB Pure V Race Bicycle Saddle[/h]
Old 11-30-14, 04:26 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had mixed results with attempts to use the BG and Bontrager ass-o-meters. While external padding does not affect the location of the sit bones, it does seem to obscur getting a good result those tools. At least, that's been my experience. Other's may have differed.
Old 11-30-14, 04:28 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Whoa - So many choices! I've read that the Brooks B17 isn't suitable for anyone over 250#, yet @rick458 says his works fine. I've heard of some of the other brands mentioned, but am not too familiar with them. I do agree that padded saddles have not been comfy for me either. Is there a "DIY butt-bone measurer" or should I just let the bike shop have a go?

Finally, I think I already know the answer to this, but do saddle manufacturers specify a weight limit for their saddles?

Thanks a million!
Old 11-30-14, 04:54 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The butt meter isn't going to be exact. You just need to know if you're bigger than 146 or smaller, really.
Old 11-30-14, 06:12 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a fan of the Brooks as well. A slightly cheaper version is the Velo Orange saddles (which I have on both of my bikes).
Old 11-30-14, 06:25 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
On a Electra Townie, a Brooks B-67 is preferred to a B-17. It has springs and is for bikes with handlebars above the saddle height.
Old 11-30-14, 07:22 PM
Midtown

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
On a Electra Townie, a Brooks B-67 is preferred to a B-17. It has springs and is for bikes with handlebars above the saddle height.
I have a B-67 on one of mine and love it.
Old 11-30-14, 08:39 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The padded blob that came with the Townie will suffice for that bike. The bike I need a saddle for is a "Frankenbike" built on a Kona Unit (single-speed) 29" base but with road bars and a more forward tilting riding position. For all intents & purposes, the saddle I need should be a road bike saddle, but capable of handling a 275# rider.
Old 11-30-14, 10:39 PM
garyus

Bikes: 88 schwinn tempo gary fisher mamba

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Whoa - So many choices! I've read that the Brooks B17 isn't suitable for anyone over 250#, yet @rick458 says his works fine. I've heard of some of the other brands mentioned, but am not too familiar with them. I do agree that padded saddles have not been comfy for me either. Is there a "DIY butt-bone measurer" or should I just let the bike shop have a go?

Finally, I think I already know the answer to this, but do saddle manufacturers specify a weight limit for their saddles?

Thanks a million!
Farhorizon I did see a video about checking your bones at home, not sure how accurate but may get you in the ballpark. Wearing shorts sit on a piece of cardboard on a solid surface. When you get up take a piece of chalk and go over the cardboard with the chalk on its side the indents from your cheek bones will appear as two holes. Find center of holes and measure distance. This was a video and not my idea, just giving you an idea.
Old 12-01-14, 12:10 AM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the reason that the saddle makers don't give a maximum weight for their saddles is that people carry their weight differently. I'm 5'3" and 240, a man who weighs the same but is a foot taller is going to have a backside with a very different shape than mine.

As I have lost weight, my sit bones seem to have gotten closer together. It used to be impossible for me to ride my daughter's bike with the skinny little Selle Italia saddle. I could actually feel the saddle lodging between my bones. I took her bike for a ride the other day because I'm trying to figure out what I want now that I've lost enough weight to have more bike choices, and her saddle was fine. My shoulders have gotten narrower and my feet have gotten shorter, so it's not too surprising that my sit bones have changed too.

The saddle that comes with the Townie is pretty miserable, unless it's the one with the lycra in the middle.
Old 12-01-14, 07:49 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Actually, for the upright position that one has on a Townie, the padded blob saddle isn't too bad. I can put about four miles on the Townie before I need to get off and walk a bit. That said, I can ride four miles again and again and again with only that short walk in-between segments.

For a road bike, then no, the Townie's blob saddle wouldn't work, but it is fine for what it's intended to be, IMHO.

Based on the fine feedback from youse guys, I'm going to try a Brooks B17 on my Frankenbike. If it isn't comfy after a month or so, then I'll try some of the other recommendations here. I also have a propensity to pick up used saddles at yard sales, so I may end up with a variety to choose from.

Cheers - FarHorizon
Old 12-01-14, 08:46 AM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read that the Brooks B17 isn't suitable for anyone over 250#
Untrue
Old 12-01-14, 09:05 AM
thrllskr

Bikes: Fuji, Ridley, Bianchi, Charge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 For Brooks B17 standard.
Old 12-01-14, 09:07 AM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
"DIY butt-bone measurer"
This worked well for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA
Old 12-01-14, 10:42 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi BradH -

I enjoyed the video you recommended from youtube. The measurement instructions were very clear. I followed on to their next video on how to use the measurements to select the proper seat, and immediately got cognitive dissonance. They say that some saddles are better for more upright riding, some for "average riders," and some for very aggressive riders. But they don't say how to measure the saddle to ensure that it matches your personal measurements. Nor do they say WHY certain saddles/shapes are appropriate for the various riders. In other words, which shapes are appropriate for which types of riders and why.

Nevertheless, considering what I paid for the information, it was worth every penny!

It seems that there are no hard and fast rules for which shapes are going to work with your personal geometry. I think that some trial-and-error is probably prudent. Provided that the saddle is sufficiently wide/narrow enough for your bones, then your posture on the bike may count for as much (or more) than the basic measurements.

So initially, I plan to try the B17, and should it not suffice, then a variety of shapes & brands until I find one I like. Of course, those who ride the Brooks have already told me that my search will end at the start, so no worries! I hope they're right.
Old 12-01-14, 10:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Once again , Hit the shops , take a few saddles off the peg wall and sit on them

The C 17 wont stretch , because Its a Rubber Hammock , rather than a Leather one like the B 17 ..

the higher end Select saddle leather will be thicker and stretch less ..

But Dont let them get Wet. any of them of leather ..
Old 12-01-14, 11:15 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
...But Dont let them get Wet. any of them of leather ..
Thanks, fletsbob - When it rains, I'll be riding the Electra Townie (with the fenders AND the plastic seat).
Old 12-01-14, 11:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sustained heavy loads saddle rails Bend and the Leather around the Rivet stretches

IDK where you live.. Here, the wet season is 76% of the year..
I just leave A Heavy Plastic Bag over even the Pleather Ones . Toured Ireland with a plastic Bag always over my Brooks Pro.

Your backside is not really part of a popularity poll , so thats why its between your Butt and the Saddle .

not necessarily the rest of the forum's favorites ..but there you Go It happens .. The search Begins .

LBS here the Ones Trek Sells, the MGR will take them back and swap them ..

and there is the Take Off Market. those are New, but the Bike Buyer wanted something else ..

They sell for less than the same one with The display tag on them, ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.