Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will I become addicted to biking??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will I become addicted to biking??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 04:24 PM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Or that nice park that's a good place to be, but has lousy parking and bad traffic. The bike is a fun way to get there.
yes! especially parks. I like biking to parks so much I have a special bike just for that purpose.
Old 02-08-13, 04:37 PM
jaltone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I came to riding in my late 50s, after being sedentary my whole life and while I was losing 1/3 of my body weight. I now have ridden about 2 years. I suck. Old people on trikes sometimes pass me. But I love it anyway. I am addicted.
+1 This! I myself suck at riding fast. I only average 15 mph. But who cares? I've got a big smile on my face, I enjoy riding a lot, and that is all that matters really. Stop comparing yourself to others, no one is judging you. Just enjoy riding. Don't think it. Just ride and enjoy.

And, ah, yes, I've had my share of embarrassing falls. I switched to SM-SH56 SPD cleats that are easier to clip in and out of (compared to the SM-SH51 ones I was originally using). Even if you forget to unclip, SM-SH56 cleats are so easy to panic clip out of.
Old 02-08-13, 04:39 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When did I know I was addicted? I think it may have been when I realized that as stupid as a 45 year old fat man looks in spandex, I needed cycling shorts. Or was it when I looked at the price on a new Tarmac and it seemed reasonable? hmmmm, so many moments like those two to choose from.

Like others have said, jsut ride in whatever way is enjoyable. The rest will come.
Old 02-08-13, 05:03 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Riding a bike, can bring you closer to god, just like sex. But sometimes it hurts.
Old 02-08-13, 05:12 PM
tspeters

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Coda hybrid, 2013 Bianchi Infinito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bennybenny
Last year at age 38 was my first year since a youth on the bike.

At times I totally loved it; others I got frustrated and took my lumps like not knowing how to repair bike, falling when forgetting to clip out, etc....After about 1,000 miles, I struggled through a hilly century and then put my bike away/didnt want to see it for months.

But now the bug is returning.

I love exercise, and used to run a lot, but thats too hard on the body as I age.

I think I'm at a crossroads: take up this sport seriously or drift away.

When you all were beginning, did you feel this way? Is it truly addicting once you sort of master it?

Just curious.

Benny
I also came back to cycling for the first time last year but at age 55. Similar reasons, I liked jogging but that was getting hard on the body. I am addicted but I started slower. My first bike was a $400 entry level hybrid to make sure I liked the sport before spending too much money. My first long ride was 17 miles with my wife who is a gym rat and more physically fit than me. She toasted me on the hills. I swear 10 of the 17 miles were all up hill. My wife road up every one but I had to walk about 1/3 of them. I was disenchanted but stuck with it. I tried commuting to work a couple of days a week (7 miles each way). I would ride a least once each weekend with my wife usually 20 miles. By the end of summer I was blowing up the hills and had to wait for my wife at the top . Our last long ride of the season, I had to stop for her to rest. For Christmas I bought my first good road bike, bike shoes and clips. I paid for a good professional fitting. This season I hope to do longer rides and maybe a century toward the end of the season. I am hooked and enjoying the journey. Maybe you just bit off too much too soon. It has to be fun.
Old 02-08-13, 05:34 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you will get addicted to riding your bike or spending money on your bike.
Old 02-09-13, 01:43 AM
NMBuff

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Syanpse 5 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remind yourself why you picked it up in the first place. I do enjoy training, but sometimes it's just nice to have an easy 25-30 mile ride where I'm not worried about time and just exploring parts of the city that I've never visited.
Old 02-09-13, 03:37 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I was hooked immediately.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-09-13, 09:02 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
For me I never thought it was addicting so much as a normal part of my life. Since I learned to ride a bike before I was ten years old I just always loved riding my bike. I had a banana seat high bar department store bike and I would ride it everywhere.

Me and my friends used to try to find the biggest hills around our neighborhood and time ourselves up the hills. When I was 12 years old in 1985 I saw the Tour de France for the first time on T.V. It was a two hour special on ABCs WWOS. I didn't really understand the racing, stages, how someone could be in the lead but was way behind the guy winning the stage etc. But I was awestruck that these guys just rode thier bikes around all day and that was thier job. That Christmas I asked for a ten speed bike. I got a blue Huffy Omni Ten. It was AWESOME.

As I got older my riding styles changed...BMX, Freestyle, Mtn biking, then when I was 19 in college I got my first road bike and suddenly the feeling I had when I saw my first TDF returned.

I don't really think of it as something to get "addicted" to. Its just apart of who I am I guess. I go through stages of not riding some and then where I ride every day. I don't rate my day on how well my ride went like a golf score. Its a great day when I get a change to get out on the open road.
Old 02-09-13, 09:10 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I don't ride on any given day its a bad day. Yes cycling at least for me is addictive. But, its a lot better to be addicted to cycling than a lot of other things so I'm good with it.
Old 02-09-13, 09:22 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by bennybenny
Commodus,

I'm asking at what point did you know you loved this sport, or more specifically what drew you to the sport after the initial learning phase? Not if you know if I like cyclying, agreed that would be weird.
I didn't think of it as a sport but as physical activity (exercise) that will somehow be a habit (fun) for good health. It was the fun of just riding the hybrid on rides that eventually grew into longer distances. The transition from hybrid to road was not as difficult.

From what you wrote, I think you just got onto the road immediately. That would be too much of a shocker, unless you already had a road bike as a teen. My initial learning phase was with the hybrid for a little over a year.
Old 02-09-13, 11:41 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was always easy for me to keep doing it. It was my go to sport and the only way to do endurance training that I enjoyed doing. I never had to go through forcing myself to do it. I am not sure if I could do any sport where I would feel like that.

I also use the bike for transportation. I dont like driving, hate public transport. So when I visit my parents for example, I just take the bike. 50 km total. I have a few places like that I visit.
Old 02-09-13, 10:30 PM
slowride454

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - Soma Double Cross Disc - Pivot Mach 429SL - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - Specialized Carve SL - Trek Farley 7 - GT Dyno VFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you will become addicted. I was in the same boat last year. Hadn't riding in over 20 years. Bought a MTB in March and a Nashbar road bike in April. Did a Century in June and wanted to die. Got a Specialized Roubaix and proceeded to do a century in July, August and September. Now I am on the trainer in the basement cursing the snow. I am much heavier and out-of-shape, once the bug has bitten you...it is all over.
Old 02-09-13, 10:55 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two things:

1. Find ways to set goals for yourself and will help you measure your improvement - what gear you need to get up a hill, time for a local loop etc. Don't compare with others as you're starting out, it doesn't help.

2. Don't rush to buy everything. Yes, there's an outlay to get a basic set of stuff (especially clothes) but let experience be your guide. It took me a few years to work out what bike clothes work best, what equipment I want/like etc. People who dive in quickly and spend large can also end up bailing quickly too. Take your time.
Old 02-09-13, 11:00 PM
Beneficial Ear
Car Free

Bikes: caad8, Trek 1000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mymojo
When did I know I was addicted? I think it may have been when I realized that as stupid as a 45 year old fat man looks in spandex, I needed cycling shorts. Or was it when I looked at the price on a new Tarmac and it seemed reasonable? hmmmm, so many moments like those two to choose from.

Like others have said, jsut ride in whatever way is enjoyable. The rest will come.
These 2 things... I'm right there. I remember wondering why all these cyclists would these goofy outfits, and why ANYONE would spend even $500 on a bike.

Now I have a pair of shorts and 2 bibs, short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey... and though I got my bike used, it was $600 new and if $ comes along I'll likely hunt down a bike that was in the $1200 range new.

For me I love the competition, I love the feel of riding fast, I love riding anywhere for any reason really, I love meeting and exceeding goals... and really I love being in the best shape of my life with plenty improvement to come

Whatever our reasons, I think it very important we do what we love - this fills us with love... if we do what we resent, we are filled with resentment... this seems so simple but so many people living lives they resent is the reason for many of the world's ills.
Old 02-09-13, 11:01 PM
Beneficial Ear
Car Free

Bikes: caad8, Trek 1000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
People who dive in quickly and spend large can also end up bailing quickly too. Take your time.
I dont mind the folks that get good stuff - hardly ride it - then sell it... cuz it makes things accessible to me that wouldn't be otherwise
Old 02-09-13, 11:36 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
It's not hard to give up cycling. I did it three times last week
Old 02-10-13, 07:27 PM
ticktockpedal

Bikes: Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you will become addicted. you will read all the catalogs they send you. you will adjust your bike constantly. you will buy stuff. you'll buy more stuff. you'll ride till you're tired and you will ride the next day, and the next day, and the next. good luck.
Old 02-10-13, 07:36 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ou're tired and you will ride the next day, and the next day, and the next. good luck.
.. and then realize that riding as much as you used makes you not in the least tired so you must ride faster/further to get the same feeling. And the cycle repeats...
Old 02-10-13, 08:01 PM
BoomMcNasty
AngelmanSyndrome.org

Bikes: 2013 CAAD10 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
I was hooked immediately.
This