Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on bike purchase

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 11-29-19, 10:47 AM
mtorch67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for advice on a hybrid bike purchase. My budget is $600 max. I'm considering one of these 2 bikes at Dicks Sporting Goods
GT Mens Talera 4.0
GT Mens Vantara Comp

any advice or other alternatives?
thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-29-19, 02:00 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Welcome! There are definitely some advantages to buying from Dick's Sporting Goods, including convenience (if you don't have a good local bike shop) or perhaps even lack of attitude (some local bike shops can be pretty stand-offish). On the other hand, I think the value of these two bikes (what you get for what you pay) can be beat by some decent bike shop brands (like Giant for example).

Link to GT Talera 4.0: link
Link to GT Vantara Comp: link

They are both $600. The GT Talera 4.0 has a basic Suntour suspension fork, 3x8 drivetrain, and cable-operated disc brakes. The Giant Roam 3 disc ($550) has a similar suspension fork and drivetrain, but upgraded hydraulic brakes (vs. cable-operated), and for less money. The GT Vantara is a rigid aluminum fork hybrid, also with a 3x8 drivetrain, but with rim brakes. The Giant Escape 2 Disc is $580, and comes with a similar 8-speed drivetrain and aluminum fork, but with disc brakes vs. rim brakes. The Giant Escape most similar to that GT Vantara is the Escape 2 ($505).

Aside from initial value at purchase, you generally get a nice service-after-the-sale offer at local bike shops (like free tune-ups, service checks, etc.). Sometimes these are up to a year or three years or even as long as you own the bike. It'll depend on the bike shop.

I would also strongly advising test-riding a bike before you buy it, to make sure it fits you well, that you're comfortable on it, that you like the way it rides, etc. Especially with you looking at two different styles of hybrid (both with and without suspension forks), I recommend you giving a good test ride of each type before you buy. You'll definitely be able to do this at a local bike shop. Your local Dick's may be amendable to that, but some are not.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-19, 03:35 PM
mtorch67

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hokiefyd, thanks for the reply. It was very helpful. I was looking at Dicks bc both GT models are on sale for Black Friday for $450 (25% off). I'm looking for performance hybrid to do most riding on roads and switching to some trails (30-40 mile rides). Both looked like good options and Dicks is close to my work office if I needed some service done. Do you know if the GT brand is good quality for that price? I currently have a late 1990's Trek 800 Sport, getting old,
Old 11-29-19, 06:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
At $450, they're a better value. As far as the brand, GT seems to be fine. They certainly have a long and storied history -- the current brand name is owned by Dorel Industries which also owns Cannondale, Schwinn, Mongoose, and others. We bought our daughter a GT Laguna Pro from Dick's about this time last year, at the time for $299. It's a basic hard tail mountain bike and has been good. We picked one off the rack which appeared to be assembled okay. I needed to fix some things on it when we got home (certain cable routing, derailleur adjustment, etc.). I think Dick's probably assembles bikes better than a place like Walmart or Target, but attention to detail won't be as good as from a local bike shop.

For what you describe, I think the rigid fork hybrid may be a good option for you, especially if you can fit larger tires on it (like 40-45mm tires perhaps). This would give you a nice balance of ability on the road while still being somewhat capable on off-the-road trails. There's nothing wrong with the suspension fork model either -- I have a Giant Roam which is basically the same concept, and it's one of my most-ridden bikes.

A test ride will probably tell you which one is for you.
Old 11-29-19, 09:30 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by mtorch67
I was looking at Dicks bc both GT models are on sale for Black Friday for $450 (25% off).
Not to be a downer or to put down the parade, but read the fine print on the 25% off. There is a long list of items that are not included, of which GT Bikes are among the list.
Old 11-29-19, 10:44 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Not to be a downer or to put down the parade, but read the fine print on the 25% off. There is a long list of items that are not included, of which GT Bikes are among the list.
REI does the same thing . 20% off site wide except bikes
Old 11-29-19, 10:55 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I’m a total newb but when I wanted to get a bike a friend sent me this link and I saw the review. After seeing the bike at the NYC REI store, I went for it. About 5 months in, I’m very happy with it. It’s $549.

“There’s a reason that the REI Co-op CTY 1.1 bike has been featured in our list of the best hybrids two years in a row: it’s a fantastic deal. You’ll be hard-pressed to get this much bike for $500 anywhere else.

It has disc brakes, rack and fender mounts, 24 gears, and big 700x40c tires that come stock. That means this bike is ready for commuting, weekend path riding with the family, running errands, and even some light gravel riding.

In short, the CTY 1.1 is everything you want in a hybrid city bike: affordable, flexible, and ready for any weather. One of our picks for the best hybrid bikes under $600.”

https://mtnweekly.com/reviews/best-h...bikes-for-men/