Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclist driving habits

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cyclist driving habits

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 06:11 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I think that being a motorcyclist and a cyclist has made me a better driver. Both two-wheeled contraptions are vulnerable against 2-ton-plus vehicles and the higher speeds for MCs result in more severe injuries. So you MUST learn about your "situation awareness". Where are the hazards? Driveway, cross road, stop sign, stop light, entrance into a farmer's field, rough pavement, narrow verges, weather, low visibility, dawn, dusk, wild animals, school buses, etc. All of these could be a hazard but usually not every time.

Ask @nomadmax about a dead raccoon while in a large paceline.

When you are more vulnerable and don't have a "cage" around you with airbags and seat belts, you MUST be aware of what is happening around you.

When you are in the "cage" you owe it to those that are not to be predictable, safe, and courteous.
Old 11-05-19, 07:16 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I stop or slowdown at amber lights. I stop and wait for pedestrians to step off the sidewalk. I change lanes when I pass bicycles. I look at my blindspot before I crack open my door. I'm on the lookout for other bad drivers.

When I'm faced with a dilemna that either makes me a road rager or a nicehole, I'll choose to be a nicehole.
You’re suggesting that your only options are to be either a road ranger or a nicehole? In that case, stay off the road for all our good. I do all of those things that you list - these make neither of us a nicehole. I’m talking about people who stop on a rotary to let me enter, or people who were clearly the first to stop at a 4-way, but will sit there, waiting for me to go, when they’re the ones who need to make a move. I’m talking about people who see me standing on one side of a divided 4-lane, waiting for a gap on the traffic to cross, and they stop, with rush hour traffic stacking up behind them, to let me cross. Sure, they’re being “nice”, but in actuality, they’re dangerous wild cards in a system that only operates smoothly and safely when everyone goes by the same set of rules.

Last edited by Litespud; 11-05-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 08:04 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Very mindful of other cyclists, including motorcyclists. Hard to be mindful of that crotch rocket comes up on you at 140 mph though. Always 25 mph through residential areas, and as fast as I can get away with on highways and the interstate. I get pulled over once or twice a year, but usually only a warning. I think being a former Marine helps, final verbal exchange is usually Semper fi.
Tim
Old 11-06-19, 01:38 AM
Dilldog
Yeah Dude

Bikes: 2020 Giant Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a bicyclist, motorcyclist, pulling trailers, and having driven heavy duty trucks gives me perspective from many different views. The experience that changed my driving habits the most was with heavy duty trucks.
Old 11-06-19, 12:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I avoid neighborhood streets and if I do drive in a neighborhood, I observe speed limits. This probably came from cycling, because one thing that annoys me while I'm riding is how every road has to be a freeway for so many drivers. No, it's a neighborhood, and it's not a shortcut if you have to speed to save time.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Only difference is that when I'm driving, I have to stop for stop signs.
This would make you a rarity in Central Pennsylvania. Nobody stops for stop signs here, unless they have to.
Old 11-06-19, 02:28 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
I think that being a motorcyclist and a cyclist has made me a better driver.
Agree completely! Back in the day got my learner's permit for Class 4 at 15 1/2. Rode every twisty canyon road from San Diego to Monterey & commuted for many years on motorcycles. Riding engrains a sixth-sense of situational awareness & mental alertness that people who have never ridden will almost never acquire. That same feeling followed me into road cycling. Sold my last motorcycle years ago just too dangerous anymore.
Still pains me when I see people riding like squids.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-06-19 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 05:56 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Naturally I give cyclists more than average space
I am pretty religious about using turn signals
I try to have good situation awareness.

Some of this though is also from my computer flight sim hobby, which tends to emphasize procedural aspects of flying (push this switch, turn that knob) and this kind of carries over into real life.

scott s.
Old 11-06-19, 06:21 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I had to laugh at myself one day. Back in my racing days, on tubular tires, we were fastidious about avoiding or cleaning off road debris from our tires with our gloves. I was driving my MG one day, ran thru a big pile of glass, and my hand came off the wheel, involuntarily, to clean the front tire, out of habit. Yes, I would say that day cycling affected my driving.
Old 11-06-19, 07:34 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
My only thing is when I am driving and I see a cyclist I wish it was me on the bike instead of driving, unless it’s raining!
Old 11-06-19, 08:27 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think crit racing and group riding has changed me. I used to be a somewhat timid and defensive driver. I’ll be the first to admit that I had a problem of brake-tapping out of fear or defensiveness in tight traffic conditions. I’d wait until the road was super clear to turn left across it.

I also got dropped within 2 laps of my first crit because of this. I think something in me snapped after that.

It’s safer and more efficient to send it, either in traffic or in a bike race. Being overly cautious causes problems. Now I’m always late and easy on the brakes, don’t mind squeezing into tight gaps, don’t have to drive as defensively because I have faith in my ability to react to a mistake someone else makes and generally don’t need the same margin for error.

For example, the other day, someone was driving at my 2 o clock, and suddenly decided that they wanted to get out of the exit lane - after it ended (elderly lady). Crit racers recognize this as getting their wheel chopped. It happens. There was a divider to my left, too. But I caught what was happening in my peripheral, hugged the left of the lane and tapped enough brake to just barely end up behind the lady’s car. All without thinking too much. I think old me would have dropped the anchors - not safe.
Old 11-06-19, 09:01 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I consider myself a cyclist first, just a cyclist who is driving at the moment. Cyclists always have priority, and I'll forgive them anything.

Last edited by Reynolds; 11-06-19 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-08-19, 01:31 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Keep to my side of the path, defensively around people because they're idiots, and cruise or hammer it otherwise to my preference.

At the moment my biggest issue is dense wet leaves, tbh it's rather fun..
Old 11-10-19, 02:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've done very little in-town driving in the past 20 years or so. Most of my driving miles are on interstates and highways, usually fairly long distances; my shorter trips are usually just when I need heavy stuff. As a result, I often feel like I'm invisible while driving, just as I would on a bike - despite driving a full-size cargo van.

In urban situations, I'm pretty cautious and aware of cyclists/peds/motorcycles. Not nicehole cautious, but I give people not in vehicles space to do their thing. In suburban/rural situations, I'll just change lanes to give cyclists space. I don't like being close passed, and don't feel the need to do it to others. Road cycling has taught me to be a bit more assertive with vehicles, and it carries over a bit into my driving.
Old 11-10-19, 06:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
With how most in-town road crossings were "engineered" with the stop signs & traffic lights way before the crossings, the sidewalks are often near the street. There's often obstructing landscaping/parked cars blocking the view of who may be approaching to cross. A driver needs to creep forward past the sign, which puts the driver partially in the path of a ped potentially crossing. Factor in the edgy inpatient person in the vehicle behind the first driver, it is a recipe for creating a disaster.
I'd rather be rear ended in the above situation. These areas I drive in are at least 20+ years old... I wonder how many area in the USA are engineered like my area & how long ago was it developed.
Old 12-01-19, 08:25 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A note TO ALL who have spoken here: most cyclists do also drive cars. Car drivers being cyclists. In theory they are cutting off each other. Disrespecting each other. This 'game' is so endless.
Old 12-03-19, 02:08 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I try to follow the rules and expect others (cyclists and cagers) to do the same. Unfortunately, it seems few know the rules and even fewer follow them. My cycling partner and I disagree about drivers being "nice" and and stopping for cyclists crossing roads while on a Multi-Use Path (MUP). Cyclists on the MUP have a stop sign on the trail and drivers have the right of way unless a pedestrian or cyclist is in the crosswalk. Many drivers stop even though they don't have to. I'd prefer drivers to exercise their right to continue down the road if the crossing is clear. Just because some/many/most drivers stop doesn't mean that all stop. Therefore, cyclists still have to exercise caution at all crossings. I want predictable drivers and cyclists. The way for people to be predictable is to follow the rules whether in a car or on a bike. With unpredictable drivers and cyclists, eventually some cyclists lose. That said, I do break the rules on occasion but I try not to have my rule breaking inconvenience or endanger others. I hope I am successful in that pursuit.
Old 12-04-19, 09:22 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's where your off-cycling behavior --- is putting you as a pu**y. Because YOU know the cyclist does not have the size/weight= power that the motor vehicle has. This is a general problem, EVERYWHERE. But more in my area than yours. Remember when you were in school -- of seeing the smaller student/s always getting picked on? Of car vs bike, that just a constant repeat.
Old 12-04-19, 10:56 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
depends on the timing of events. am I early, on time or late?

I'm very careful around cyclists, pedestrians and motorcycles. Other cars not as much

but age is a factor too
Too many who are too old to drive, shall not be driving --- as they have lack of time reaction in their coordination, lack of proper vision, etc.
But the State issues the 'legal' drivers licenses for the reason of the state/county economies.
In my area , and I say this as a Cyclist: too many of the WORST CARS/Car Drivers are of license plate identification that say on bottom .dmv.g*v
Old 12-06-19, 12:03 PM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcpriess
Just curious how other cyclists drive in residential areas, stroads, and highways. I give myself plenty of time to get to my destination, so I tend not to be in any kind of rush.

Residential/city : pretty much always less than 25mph, or slower if the limit is lower. Arounde 15mph if there are lots of pedestrians or curb cuts.

Stroads:. Usually lots of curb cuts, so I tend to stay below 35 even with higher speed limits so I have plenty of opportunity to brake when a texting dip**** pulls out without looking .

Highways:. Interstate I go as fast as I can and maintain good distances between me and other cars, but not faster than the majority of semis seem to be moving. Otherwise highly variable based on sightlines on 2lane etc rds.

And I avoid phone use except for maps.
I seen bicyclists drive bicycles --- doing cell-phone chatting. That typically predicts a car driver driving a bicycle.