Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Crosstrail 2018 upgrades?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 07:21 AM
marquis1366
Boom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a specialized crosstrail 2018 wondering if anyone knows any upgrades I could do? So far I’ve only switched out the pedals to the ones I had on my road bike because of comfort but the bike it self rides smooth but feels so heavy. Any forks you would recommend? Or anything else to get the weight of the bike down some?
Old 05-22-19, 07:45 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Get better tires. Especially if you are riding on pavement. The Trigger Sports that came on your bike are noticeably slower for me that anything with a more slick tread pattern.

If you ride on any kind of rough terrain....ignore this.

As far as weight savings....there's not much you can do. You can save a pound...maybe...on tires. (Big maybe here)

You can swap out the heavy suspension fork for a carbon fiber fork. There's pictures of it around this forum somewhere. I think it's like $120.

You could get lighter wheels...but is it worth it for what the bike is worth?

The bike just isn't a very lightweight bike. It's not a speed machine. It's a nice reliable bike that you can weight down with all your gear and it'll still go. It's just not a speed demon.

I commute on one daily. So I like the Crosstrail. But if you want a lighter faster bike, get a second bike. (Also what I did)

Last edited by Skipjacks; 05-22-19 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 09:46 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I upgraded my suspension on my Crosstrail. Made the bike lose 2lbs, nice suspension for bumps, but....I'm not any faster and am still able to ride 30-50 miles in a given day. Not sure if making the Crosstrail lose weight will really benefit it's intended purpose.