Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Marin San Rafael 2 or Trek Dual Sport 2?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-14-19, 11:18 AM
uriwvu

Bikes: Old: 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 1974 Raleigh 3 Speed, 1978 Kabuki 10 speed, 1997 GT Ricochet. New: 2021Verve 3 Disc2021 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Newbie here looking for advice/recommendations in purchasing my first hybrid bike. Well past the mountain biking phase of my life, now in my mid-50s, my main purpose is recreational riding with my young daughters and fitness rides for myself. Primarily pavement riding, but I want the ability to go off road a bit, gravel/dirt paths in parks, beach, etc. I’ve done research, visited multiple bike shops, and I’m down to the Marin San Rafael 2 and Trek Dual Sport 2.

I’ve tested both out at bike shops (Trek store, and local independent bike shop for the Marin) and they both are great rides and “fit” me fine. Bonus to the local bike shop selling the Marin: they offer lifetime tuneups for all bikes purchased at their store.

Similarly priced, I appreciate any advice and recommendations to help me finalize my choice. Thanks

Last edited by uriwvu; 06-14-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 11:58 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Marin San Rafael 2
Trek Dual Sport 2

The Marin does have a lower MSRP and coming with tuneups seems like a better deal. Trek has a lifetime warranty on their frame, not sure about Marin. The Marin sounds like a better deal with the lifetime tuneups, assuming the shop is not far from home.

Personally I don't like front suspension (especially cheaper ones) for your type of riding. Plus it adds an extra component to maintain on the bike. My suggestion is pick a rigid fork bike that has over 35mm width tires which will help smooth out the rough. These from Marin and Trek would be my choice (in order of preference). The Muirwoods is at the top as it has the most potential with it's wider tires and steel frame.

Marin Muirwoods = CrMo Frame & Fork with 700x40 Tires. Altus 3x9 Gears with Hydraulic Disc Brakes. Bonus for being an awesome color.

Trek FX2 or FX2 Disc = Aluminum frame and fork with 700x35 tires. 3x8 with mechanical v-brakes or hydraulic disc brakes. I like the green color.
Marin Fairfax 2 = Aluminum frame and fork with 700x32 tires (Should fit 700x35). 3x8 with hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 06-14-19, 01:11 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by uriwvu
Newbie here looking for advice/recommendations in purchasing my first hybrid bike. Well past the mountain biking phase of my life, now in my mid-50s, my main purpose is recreational riding with my young daughters and fitness rides for myself. Primarily pavement riding, but I want the ability to go off road a bit, gravel/dirt paths in parks, beach, etc. I’ve done research, visited multiple bike shops, and I’m down to the Marin San Rafael 2 and Trek Dual Sport 2.

I’ve tested both out at bike shops (Trek store, and local independent bike shop for the Marin) and they both are great rides and “fit” me fine. Bonus to the local bike shop selling the Marin: they offer lifetime tuneups for all bikes purchased at their store.

Similarly priced, I appreciate any advice and recommendations to help me finalize my choice. Thanks
Both bikes are nearly identical. Comes down to preferences on color and which bike shop did you like better? Free lifetime adjustments are always nice!

Plus, red bikes are ALWAYS faster!
Old 06-14-19, 01:47 PM
uriwvu

Bikes: Old: 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 1974 Raleigh 3 Speed, 1978 Kabuki 10 speed, 1997 GT Ricochet. New: 2021Verve 3 Disc2021 Trek FX1

Thanks for the replies and comments. Yes, the bike shop selling Marin is right around the corner from my location, hence I'm leaning that way, and the folks there were very easy going and down to earth. Similar experience at the Trek store (very positive) but it is a bit further away, and no tuneup offer.

I did ride the Trek FX 2 Disc - very nice; neither Fairfax nor Muirwoods (sick color!) were in stock locally.

Last edited by uriwvu; 06-14-19 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-14-19, 07:48 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I’ve owned several bikes, all either Trek or Marin. I currently have both, they are my favorite brands.

I just got the DS 2 a month or so ago and it’s a great bike. But the Marin you are interested in has a better fork. Both have a lockout, but the Marin has preload adjustment.

That lifetime adjustment would be the selling point for me.
Old 06-14-19, 08:15 PM
uriwvu

Originally Posted by EGBigelo
I’ve owned several bikes, all either Trek or Marin. I currently have both, they are my favorite brands.

I just got the DS 2 a month or so ago and it’s a great bike. But the Marin you are interested in has a better fork. Both have a lockout, but the Marin has preload adjustment.

That lifetime adjustment would be the selling point for me.
Much thanks for your feedback. I really like both as well, and doubt I could go wrong either way. Leaning towards the Marin due to the lifetime adjustment, and the fact that the bike shop is right around the corner from me.
Old 06-17-19, 03:18 PM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I love my 2019 Dual Sport 2. The ablity to have the front suspension makes the ride go from rough, to very comfortable with just a turn of a knob...that being said, the Marin could be good if you get lifetime repairs and the shop ain't shutting down next week...lol

Does the Marin have lock-out front suspension? if not, go with the Trek 100%. I cannot stress this enough. I had a Trek Marlin 5 which I traded in for my Dual Sport 2, partly because mountain biking wasn't my thing (and the bike was too low-end to make it fun), but mostly because I really loved the lock-out suspension.

Both will be good, have fun!
Old 06-17-19, 07:31 PM
uriwvu

Originally Posted by fat2fit
I love my 2019 Dual Sport 2. The ablity to have the front suspension makes the ride go from rough, to very comfortable with just a turn of a knob...that being said, the Marin could be good if you get lifetime repairs and the shop ain't shutting down next week...lol

Does the Marin have lock-out front suspension? if not, go with the Trek 100%. I cannot stress this enough. I had a Trek Marlin 5 which I traded in for my Dual Sport 2, partly because mountain biking wasn't my thing (and the bike was too low-end to make it fun), but mostly because I really loved the lock-out suspension.

I really liked the Trek DS2 when I tested it out last week. Folks at Trek were cool as well. Also took a look at the FX2, which was a nice ride, and lighter, but I prefer the versatility, and more rugged tires, that both the Dual Sport and Marin San Rafael bring. Trek salesman also hinted that they often have a sale around Tour de France time, so I may keep an eye open for that.

If I go with the Marin, the item tipping the scales in its favor will likely be the lifetime adjustments. And though the shop (just 2 miles from my house) has been in business since ‘02, and has a terrific reputation, there is no guarantee that it will be around forever. But if they can hang around for another 5-6 years after I purchase, the bike will have paid for itself.
Old 06-18-19, 03:31 AM
uriwvu

Originally Posted by fat2fit

I tested the Trek DS 2 last week and really liked it. Trek sales folks were great as well. I also tried out the Trek FX2, very nice (and light) but I prefer the versatility and more rugged tires that both the Trek Dual Sport 2 and Marin San Rafael 2 provide. Trek folks also mentioned possible sale around Tour de France time, so I may keep an eye open for that.

Yes the Marin front suspension also has lockout, so no difference there. If I go with the Marin, the location of the LBS (2 miles away) and the lifetime adjustment will likely tip the scale in that direction. The LBS has a great reputation locally and they've been in business (same location) since '02, so hopefully they'll stay in business another 6-7 years at least...until the bike pays for itself! Thanks for the feedback, and I can't go wrong with either the Trek or the Marin.

Last edited by uriwvu; 06-18-19 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 11:20 AM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by uriwvu
I really liked the Trek DS2 when I tested it out last week. Folks at Trek were cool as well. Also took a look at the FX2, which was a nice ride, and lighter, but I prefer the versatility, and more rugged tires, that both the Dual Sport and Marin San Rafael bring. Trek salesman also hinted that they often have a sale around Tour de France time, so I may keep an eye open for that.

If I go with the Marin, the item tipping the scales in its favor will likely be the lifetime adjustments. And though the shop (just 2 miles from my house) has been in business since ‘02, and has a terrific reputation, there is no guarantee that it will be around forever. But if they can hang around for another 5-6 years after I purchase, the bike will have paid for itself.
Does the Marin have lock-out front suspension on the forks? The pictures I found online don't show that it does. If that's the case I suggest buying the Dual Sport 2. Without lock-out front suspension, when you're riding on flat roads and pavement the ride will be bobby in the front and it'll slow you down. Having the option to lock it out when needed is the best feature on my bike. We have a 5 mile river channel in my town that I ride each day, the terrain goes from moderate flat pavement to really broken pavement, dirt road, cracks/potholes, my Dual Sport 2 is a champion. I'll start the ride with the suspension locked out, gaining speed, as the terrain gets rougher I can turn the knob on my shock (while riding) just a bit and it makes everything comfortable and the front tire absorbs all the hilly/broken concrete. I really love my Dual Sport 2. I was going to go with the FX line up but bike paths like this make me very happy I didn't!

keep us updated on what you choose.

Old 06-18-19, 07:15 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The Marin San Rafael DS2 has a lockout fork.
Old 06-18-19, 07:28 PM
uriwvu

Thanks for all the insights and comments. Both the Marin San Rafael DS2 and Trek DS2 are teriffic hybrid bikes, and all of your comments supported that fact. I tested them both out (twice) and they both "fit" me, and what I want to accomplish with me new bike, very well.

In the end, I've decided to go with the Marin San Rafael DS2 from "Fat Frogs Bike and Fitness" of Virginia Beach. In addition to the bike, I was very comfortable with the owner, the sales staff, and the mechanics that I met. Very easy going and down to earth. In addition to the lifetime adjustments, they also nearly matched the lowest price I found within a 2 hour radius, as I've got a final sales price of $530 plus tax (MSRP $599). Finally, Fat Frogs is a mere 2.4 miles from my house - incredibly convenient. I'm picking up the bike tomorrow, and can't wait to go for my initial ride!

Thanks again for your comments, I've gained some much needed knowledge, and I know I'll be back to discuss accessories, upgrades and other issues in the future.
Old 06-18-19, 07:35 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Is yours in that crimson color they show on the website? Crimson and orange -- a complete Hokie bike! I had no idea anyone made a bike in Hokie colors. Being in VA (like me), that may appeal to you (or not).
Old 06-19-19, 04:42 AM
uriwvu

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Is yours in that crimson color they show on the website? Crimson and orange -- a complete Hokie bike! I had no idea anyone made a bike in Hokie colors. Being in VA (like me), that may appeal to you (or not).
Yes, those are the colors. Not a VT grad, but should be a pretty popular bike around here.
Old 06-22-19, 08:47 AM
uriwvu

UPDATE: I purchased the bike on Wednesday, and have taken it for four rides. The first
three around my neighborhood (20-25 min rides) exclusively on pavement, and just this morning an hour ride through several neighborhoods, on multiple surfaces: pavement, crushed gravel and hard sand paths, and across a grass field. The Marin San Rafael DS2 is awesome! SO much fun to ride and so versatile. Best feature of all for me is the hydraulic lockout on the front fork....amazing. On today’s ride, I frequently switched the mode of the fork (with a simple twist) as I switched surfaces. I highly recommend anyone purchasing a hybrid bike with front suspension to get a model with this feature.

All in all, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the first week of my MarinSan Rafael DS2 and I made a great choice, and I can’t wait to ride again!