Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot Ue8m

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot Ue8m

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 09:24 AM
Epilogue4573

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Peugeot Ue8m

I recently received a Peugeot UE8M as a gift and I'm considering either restoring it to a clean, running state or converting it into a fixie. I already have a daily driver (Riverside Touring 920) and I'm on a tight budget right now.

The bike has a few issues that need addressing:
  • The front derailleur is broken (any recommendations for a replacement?)
  • The old, sticky drop bar tape has been removed
  • The fork ball bearings need replacing (I lost half of them during removal)
I have basic tools and am based in Germany. I don't have access to other bikes for parts, so I'll need to buy everything. How much do you think this will cost? Is it worth the investment?

I cannot post pic of the Bike since I do not have 10 posts. I'll upload them as soon as I can.
Likes For Epilogue4573:
Old 05-17-24, 09:36 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 6,770 Times in 3,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Epilogue4573
I cannot post pic of the Bike since I do not have 10 posts. I'll upload them as soon as I can.
Pic Assist - Picture by Epilogue4573 | 34044115 | (bikeforums.net)

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-17-24, 09:51 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 3,459 Times in 2,248 Posts
-----

the adjustable bottom bracket cup appears odd

---

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-17-24 at 10:06 AM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-17-24, 09:52 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 65 Posts
Certainly worth it, it looks to be in pretty reasonable condition, I have recently acquired an A08 which is similar and converted it to single speed with a freewheel which has produced a nice basic looking but usable bike.

Likes For Small cog:
Old 05-17-24, 10:19 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 178 Posts
Your bike has a Carbolite frame, which I found to offer a pleasant ride. It looks to have aluminum rims, a big plus. For a front derailleur, just about anything will serve as a replacement. Huret, Suntour, Shimano, Campagnolo, all work fine. As for the headset bearings (which you called the fork bearings) you can ask a shop for replacement caged bearings, but you may be better off using loose balls.

It will make a nice bike for you with a little work.
Old 05-17-24, 10:26 AM
Epilogue4573

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

the adjustable bottom bracket cup appears odd

-----
It actually does. Also I have no clue on what part broke as soon soon as I removed the fork (the one in my hand).

Originally Posted by Small cog
Certainly worth it, it looks to be in pretty reasonable condition, I have recently acquired an A08 which is similar and converted it to single speed with a freewheel which has produced a nice basic looking but usable bike.
I had in mind something like yours but with a drop bar! Yours looks fabulous. Which part were needed for the transformation ( single speed, freewheel and new chain only?)

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Your bike has a Carbolite frame, which I found to offer a pleasant ride. It looks to have aluminum rims, a big plus. For a front derailleur, just about anything will serve as a replacement. Huret, Suntour, Shimano, Campagnolo, all work fine. As for the headset bearings (which you called the fork bearings) you can ask a shop for replacement caged bearings, but you may be better off using loose balls.
It will make a nice bike for you with a little work.
How do I know for sure it has aluminum rims? I am actually quite a noob, sorry. I am more inclined to go with fixed gear since I do not like very much changing gear without having the hands on my breaks :/ .
Likes For Epilogue4573:
Old 05-17-24, 10:32 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

-----

the adjustable bottom bracket cup appears odd-----
What are you seeing? I can't tell from the pics.
Old 05-17-24, 10:39 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

It actually does. Also I have no clue on what part broke as soon soon as I removed the fork (the one in my hand).
That is a lock washer to hold the headset in its proper adjustment when the top nut is tightened down.

How do I know for sure it has aluminum rims? I am actually quite a noob, sorry.
A magnet will tell you! And don't fret over being a noob. We all were at one point.

I am more inclined to go with fixed gear since I do not like very much changing gear without having the hands on my brakes :/ .
Is your location relatively flat?
Old 05-17-24, 10:46 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 65 Posts
I had in mind something like yours but with a drop bar! Yours looks fabulous. Which part were needed for the transformation ( single speed, freewheel and new chain only?)
Thank you, I replaced most of the steel with a few aluminium parts off of a higher end model and a couple of SR parts that I used but yes to convert to single speed a freewheel, single front chainring and a new chain was all it took.
Old 05-20-24, 08:14 AM
Epilogue4573

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What are you seeing? I can't tell from the pics.
This is the one that doesn't feel right. I also broke it and have no idea on where to get it as a replacement.
-----
The last photo here
-----

That is a lock washer to hold the headset in its proper adjustment when the top nut is tightened down.
Is your location relatively flat?
Mostly flat but the travel paths have some nice hills. But I guess I have my gravel bike for those ones.

Originally Posted by Small cog
Thank you, I replaced most of the steel with a few aluminium parts off of a higher end model and a couple of SR parts that I used but yes to convert to single speed a freewheel, single front chainring and a new chain was all it took.
I am checking Aliexpress for some cheap parts. I am waiting for some tools I still don't have (e.g. the one to open up the chain).

I will update here when those arrive.
Old 05-20-24, 08:37 AM
Epilogue4573

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I also can't seem to be able to remove the pedals. I broke a hex tool trying to remove it from the bike. Is there anything I can do it to make it a little bit looser?
Old 05-21-24, 06:45 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 2,238 Times in 983 Posts
I also can't seem to be able to remove the pedals. I broke a hex tool trying to remove it from the bike. Is there anything I can do it to make it a little bit looser?
First, soak the threads with WD40 or other penetrating oil. The longer the soak the better.

You need a 15mm pedal wrench with a long handle to gain leverage. Also, don't forget that one is reverse threaded. Both pedals unthread towards the rear wheel and both pedals tighten towards the front wheel.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-21-24, 11:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
My mnemonic is: the pedal you put your left foot on is left-threaded.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-27-24, 03:59 AM
Epilogue4573

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I bought wd40, and ordered a new hex wrenched and a bottom bracket removal tool. I am waiting to remove the bottom bracket to order new bearings.
I am still unsure on:
  • Which type of grease should I buy? Do you have some recommendations?
  • I am trying to look for a front derailleur on Aliexpress/Ebay. I found a Suntour AC 2000 for 20 Euro, how can I be sure it will be compatible?
Old 05-27-24, 05:44 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 777 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My mnemonic is: the pedal you put your left foot on is left-threaded.
Another mnemonic- pedals are threaded ‘right’ (right) & ‘wrong’ (left)..
Old 05-27-24, 07:22 AM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I bought wd40, and ordered a new hex wrenched and a bottom bracket removal tool. I am waiting to remove the bottom bracket to order new bearings.
I am still unsure on:
  • Which type of grease should I buy? Do you have some recommendations?
  • I am trying to look for a front derailleur on Aliexpress/Ebay. I found a Suntour AC 2000 for 20 Euro, how can I be sure it will be compatible?
You can get $pecial bike grea$e, but lots of stuff works. A small tub of bearing grease from an auto parts store will last for a long time. I’ve done this.

Peugeot and other French builders often used metric tubing sizes rather than what became “standard” so a front derailleur might be a bit of a trick. The French diameter for that tube is smaller than the English/Japanese, so a lot of people use shims. There might be an old bike shop in your town? Older ones sometimes have stashes of old or oddball parts, and you might get lucky. Sheldon Brown’s site has some good info: https://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

I’ve only ridden one briefly, but old Peugeots like that have a reputation for being “good.” Not “best,” not flashy, or fancy, but good. Maybe a little velo-divergent, but reliably pleasant and useful bikes to own and ride.

Ball bearing sizes … most headsets, hubs, and bottom brackets use similar size and number of ball bearings, French, English, Japanese, Swiss, whatever. You can get a spoke ruler from that giant on-line place for about $9 that will have holes for common ball bearing sizes. Also will have holes for the cotter sizes … your Peugeot most likely wants a 9mm cotter, for example.

But the late Sheldon Brown’s website has just enormous amounts of really useful information. Much gratitude is due to both him and the people who keep the site going.