Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike geometry for climbing question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 03:42 PM
jaycb74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently ride a 2012 hybrid Trek FX 7.5, has been a great bike for fitness over the years. My typical ride is 10-18 miles, 800-1500 ft of elevation gain (San Jose area) about 2-3 times per week. Some weekends take me up to around 25 mile rides with 2-3k of elevation. I really struggle on the longer climbs with back pain and when I do too many short rides in a week. I'm 46, 6'3 205 lbs, so obviously not built for climbing but do really enjoy it. I'm ready for a new bike and just wondering if a endurance road bike like the Domane 5.0 would have a better geometry for climbing and help with the back pain? Trek also has the FX S 6 now which appears to be basically the Domane frame with flat bar. I've never had a road bike as ridden mtn bikes and hybrids so hesitant to make the switch but want what will treat my back the best, especially when climbing as the flats don't really bother me.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 10-04-17, 12:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 1,400 Posts
Domanes climb just fine. If you want a road bike, get a road bike. No flat bar. Best thing for your back is barbell squats and the back machine at a gym. Work it 'til it hurts, rest, repeat.

Another thing which helps most people's backs is to be more stretched out on the bike, i.e. drop bars, slammed flat stem, well stretched out position. Exactly the opposite of what one hears from the out-of-shape.
Old 10-04-17, 12:13 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Make sure you have a 120mm or longer stem.
Old 10-04-17, 12:27 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jaycb74
I currently ride a 2012 hybrid Trek FX 7.5, has been a great bike for fitness over the years. My typical ride is 10-18 miles, 800-1500 ft of elevation gain (San Jose area) about 2-3 times per week. Some weekends take me up to around 25 mile rides with 2-3k of elevation. I really struggle on the longer climbs with back pain and when I do too many short rides in a week. I'm 46, 6'3 205 lbs, so obviously not built for climbing but do really enjoy it. I'm ready for a new bike and just wondering if a endurance road bike like the Domane 5.0 would have a better geometry for climbing and help with the back pain? Trek also has the FX S 6 now which appears to be basically the Domane frame with flat bar. I've never had a road bike as ridden mtn bikes and hybrids so hesitant to make the switch but want what will treat my back the best, especially when climbing as the flats don't really bother me.

Thanks for any insight.
A professional bike fit is usually money well spent.

Riding in too hard of a gear causes back pain. Strengthen your core or use lower gears.

How does climbing feel on your MTB? Does your position match on the hybrid?

Any road bike that fits you should be more comfortable for climbing than a hybrid. You'll have more hand positions to choose from. Being able to shift your weight fore/aft helps with comfort on long climbs, too.
Old 10-04-17, 01:39 PM
jaycb74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the hybrid has a compact crankset, not sure the size but there really isn't any granny gear like my mountain bike. But my back can flare up on the mtn bike as well but its a good point b/c its when on steep stuff where I'm grinding that first gear on the hybrid, I can feel it in my back. My back is a mess, no doubt about that, I try yoga and anything and everything to keep it from flaring up but day to day struggle. As riding is my primary form of exercise, want to do anything I can to help it.

any new bike I'll definitely get a fit. Doesn't sound like the geometry of a endurance road bike will really make that much of a difference in helping avoid back pain compared to the hybrid?
Old 10-04-17, 01:59 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Riding with a flat back rather than an arched back should help. A longer and lower position (relative to the hybrid) should help achieve that. Don't fall into the trap of putting a high-rise stem and short reach handlebars onto your new road bike.

Otherwise, it's off-the-bike stuff: sit less, don't slouch, practice good posture, etc.
Old 10-04-17, 03:53 PM
jaycb74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=OneIsAllYouNeed;19907443]Riding with a flat back rather than an arched back should help. A longer and lower position (relative to the hybrid) should help achieve that. Don't fall into the trap of putting a high-rise stem and short reach handlebars onto your new road bike.

This is exactly what has been recommended to me by LBS to help alleviate back pain; small well known customer focused LBS that I have nothing but really good experience with.
Old 10-04-17, 09:54 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Honestly, everyone's back pain is different. What works for some may not work for you.

I've had increased back pain over the last decade.

Gym work and many core exercises make mine worse, and I used to love the gym.

Certain stretches and some yoga helps me. One or two rest days as well.

I'm still able to climb a lot, thankfully.

Bike setup has 10cm drop.
Old 10-04-17, 10:59 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
You probably won't believe me because of your inexperience with drop bars but because you're 6' 3" you really require HUGE amounts of saddle to bar drop to be comfortable on a road bike. It's counterintuitive and you won't believe it until you see and experience it yourself, but you need around 17 or 19 cm of bar drop. Having a low bar takes weight off your arms. I know you, like myself many other have done, will do everything except this first because you can't and won't believe it. It's the truth though.

It's good to have your center of gravity low on the bike.

Good climbing geometry also features steep headtubes, seat tubes, and low amounts of fork offset - basically like a professional race bike.
Old 10-04-17, 11:31 PM
Clem von Jones

Try to rent or borrow a road bike that appears at least two sizes too small for you and set it up with enormous bar drop. The experience will be like a religious revelation to you.
Old 10-04-17, 11:41 PM
Clem von Jones

Back around 2001 Giant bicycle company revolutionized road bike geometry by introducing the TCR with its innovative compact frame geometry. The story behind it is fascinating. Prior to its inception classical road geometry featured huge tall seat tubes and tall head tubes. The guy who invented the TCR took a 26" mountain bike frame that was several sizes too small for him and put 700c wheels on it. He used this bike to demonstrate his conception of how modern geometry race bikes should be built. This compact frame geometry features really short head tubes that enable you to drop the bars much lower than classical frame geometry. This compact geometry also requires much longer seat posts because the seat tube and frame in general is small for maximum weight savings.
Old 10-05-17, 02:43 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Stretching/yoga helped me a lot. Like someone else said, working on good posture has been helping me lately too.
Old 10-05-17, 09:14 AM
jaycb74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Clem von Jones;19908438]You probably won't believe me because of your inexperience with drop bars but because you're 6' 3" you really require HUGE amounts of saddle to bar drop to be comfortable on a road bike. It's counterintuitive and you won't believe it until you see and experience it yourself, but you need around 17 or 19 cm of bar drop. Having a low bar takes weight off your arms. I know you, like myself many other have done, will do everything except this first because you can't and won't believe it. It's the truth though.

I will try anything and will take your suggestion to rent a road bike with a large drop and see how I feel after some climbing. Thx!
Old 10-05-17, 11:08 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by jaycb74
I will try anything and will take your suggestion to rent a road bike with a large drop and see how I feel after some climbing. Thx!

You LBS will let you demo bikes, see what they have. If you want to try another place, try Spinlister. It's a social platform where people rent bikes (and snowboard and paddleboards) from other users.

I travelled to Chicago and rented a bike for a few days. Much cheaper and easier than shipping my bike and all that entails.

I'm no shill for the website, just had a good experience and it might allow you to try more bikes.
Old 10-07-17, 10:50 AM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
You probably won't believe me because of your inexperience with drop bars but because you're 6' 3" you really require HUGE amounts of saddle to bar drop to be comfortable on a road bike. It's counterintuitive and you won't believe it until you see and experience it yourself, but you need around 17 or 19 cm of bar drop. Having a low bar takes weight off your arms. I know you, like myself many other have done, will do everything except this first because you can't and won't believe it. It's the truth though.

It's good to have your center of gravity low on the bike.

Good climbing geometry also features steep headtubes, seat tubes, and low amounts of fork offset - basically like a professional race bike.
Absolutely, 100% wrong.
Even the Pro's don't use that much drop.
Also Giant compact frames don't have head tubes any shorter than the rest.