Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brifters and derailleur compatibility

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 07:55 PM
Rkman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am converting my flatbar to a road bike,and I realized that the front derailleur that I wanted was not available anywhere, so I wanted to ask if the Shimano triple claris left lever was compatible with the Shimano sora triple speed front derailleur?
thanks in advanced
Old 05-04-18, 09:38 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rkman
I am converting my flatbar to a road bike,and I realized that the front derailleur that I wanted was not available anywhere, so I wanted to ask if the Shimano triple claris left lever was compatible with the Shimano sora triple speed front derailleur?
thanks in advanced
Shimano 8 speed has a cable pull of 2.8mm regardless whether thats Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora, or Claris. You wont have a problem with mix and match components. Literally any of those shifters and derailleurs will do what you want if you can get your hands on them. There's lots of options, use ebay and find whatever is the best price in the best condition. The Claris ST-2403 will be the most modern. It's been a long time since any of the other brands were 8 speed. You could find 7403s if you really wanted them though. The higher up you go the less plastic and the more metal there will be.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 05-04-18 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-05-18, 08:55 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Off the top of my head, I think you'll be okay, but you should probably google up the relevant compatibility chart to be sure.
Old 05-05-18, 10:53 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Off the top of my head, I think you'll be okay, but you should probably google up the relevant compatibility chart to be sure.
Sweet man I already said that, its a nice echo though.
Old 05-05-18, 11:17 PM
Serenity Yee
Registered

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR
Sweet man I already said that, its a nice echo though.
Rude.
Old 05-05-18, 11:31 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Serenity Yee
Rude.
Rude is constantly following me about from post to post looking to pick up on opportunities to spread whatever agenda is going through small minded people's heads.
Old 05-05-18, 11:54 PM
Serenity Yee
Registered

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rude is constantly following me about from post to post looking to pick up on opportunities to spread whatever agenda is going through small minded people's heads.
Am I following you? Are are you following me? Or are other people? I hardly even come on here because of people like you. This is the first time I've ever even saw you on here. Don't be so cocky to think you are THAT important for people to even follow your rude ass. I just got this notification that you replied so yes, I'm going to be just as much of a jerk to you as you are to me or to the guy up above. I did nothing to deserve your treatment. **** off.
Old 05-05-18, 11:56 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Am I following you? Are are you following me? Or are other people? I hardly even come on here because of people like you. This is the first time I've ever even saw you on here. Don't be so cocky to think you are THAT important for people to even follow your rude ass. I just got this notification that you replied so yes, I'm going to be just as much of a jerk to you as you are to me or to the guy up above. I did nothing to deserve your treatment. **** off.
nah mate, it's your piss poor attitude towards people that got me to posting like this in the first place.
Old 05-06-18, 12:05 AM
Serenity Yee
Registered

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

nah mate, it's your piss poor attitude towards people that got me to posting like this in the first place.
Talk what you know, "mate"... Show me a link where you've dealt with me before or where I was rude to others. You can't. You're probably just a naturally nasty person is all. Don't try to place it on others. That's so funny. Deal with one person for the first time and you blame them for YOU being mean to others. So you're the victim. Poor thing. Damn wuss.
Old 05-06-18, 12:08 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

"mate"
Our keyboard warrior friend is sure to crash and burn before too long; you might like to get some popcorn ready...
Old 05-06-18, 12:14 AM
Serenity Yee
Registered

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Our keyboard warrior friend is sure to crash and burn before too long; you might like to get some popcorn ready...
Is this fool always this horrid? What's his issue? Must be insecure and has to be the one to "one up" others or something. So what if you said the same thing he said? Are we all supposed to give credit because he said it first? He must need validation. Poor guy. No confidence. Sucks to be him.
Old 05-06-18, 12:15 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Talk what you know, "mate"... Show me a link where you've dealt with me before or where I was rude to others. You can't. You're probably just a naturally nasty person is all. Don't try to place it on others. That's so funny. Deal with one person for the first time and you blame them for YOU being mean to others. So you're the victim. Poor thing. Damn wuss.
I'm sorry to say that I've mistaken you for another user here at the minute. As not home I've responded to your message in bad taste. I apologiW unreservedly about the facts of the matter. I should have done more than giving my phone a cursory scan while I'm out at the moment.
Old 05-06-18, 12:22 AM
Kimmo

So what if you said the same thing he said?
Not even; he ignored the salient bit of my post, which was to suggest googling a compatibility chart.

Attitude, much...
Old 05-06-18, 12:28 AM
Serenity Yee
Registered

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I'm sorry to say that I've mistaken you for another user here at the minute. As not home I've responded to your message in bad taste. I apologiW unreservedly about the facts of the matter. I should have done more than giving my phone a cursory scan while I'm out at the moment.
Apology accepted. Thank you. Next time, don't be so quick to jump the gun on people. That was very unnecessary and unfair.
Old 05-06-18, 12:30 AM
Serenity Yee
Registered

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not even; he ignored the salient bit of my post, which was to suggest googling a compatibility chart.

Attitude, much...
I took your chiming in as an agreement to his post. Not as trying to post over his comment. You AGREED with him.

But whatever. I hijacked this thread enough.

My apologies to the thread starter.
Old 05-06-18, 12:41 AM
Kimmo

I took your chiming in as an agreement to his post. Not as trying to post over his comment. You AGREED with him.
Yeah, that's another point; in this medium where any joker can give worthless advice, replies to a question can be regarded as votes. If you're not aware of anyone's reputation, consensus is the only way to sort the wheat from the chaff.