Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion LeMans - what year?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 10:04 AM
t1k

Bikes: C&V primarily

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Hi everyone.

I stumbled upon this bike on local CL. The seller wants 60 backs (Canadian ~ 45US ) but doesn't provide much information about the bike.
I did a bit of research and it looks like a LeMans model from 1970s with hi-tense tubing frame. Is that correct?

Can you please help me to find out more information about the bike specs?

The seller claims that the bike is in working condition and all the components are stock. Do you think it worth the asking price?

Old 08-02-19, 11:49 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Not much help but it looks older than my '83 LeMans 12. Mine was free but I wouldn't take $50 for it. They are nice riding bikes.
Old 08-02-19, 01:16 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
I had a lemans with a paint scheme like that (pic here), and it was a '74. Component date codes can help determine year.

It was a nice bike after I fully overhauled it. Sold it for over $300.
Old 08-02-19, 01:21 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
If it has alloy rims, I'd grab it.

https://vintage-centurion.com/literat...on_Catalog.pdf
Old 08-02-19, 02:05 PM
t1k

I've got a few more pics.
The bike frame is 23" which is about my size. The wheel hubs on the pictures look rusted but the specs 1972 LeMans's specs say it comes with alloy hubs. The owner claims that there's no rust on the frame.

Last edited by t1k; 08-02-19 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 02:05 PM
t1k

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I had a lemans with a paint scheme like that (pic here), and it was a '74. Component date codes can help determine year.

It was a nice bike after I fully overhauled it. Sold it for over $300.
Was it heavy? Do you remember what kind of tubing it had?
Old 08-02-19, 03:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by t1k
Was it heavy? Do you remember what kind of tubing it had?
These aren't lightweights. It was probably hi-ten tubing. It was a small frame, so not too heavy for a lower-mid level bike.
Old 08-02-19, 03:06 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that isn't rust on the hubs. Grease and grime, aged to perfection. Should scrub right off.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 08-03-19, 08:18 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Looks an awful lot like my 72 but in a different color, I do love the way it rides but the frame/fork weigh quite a bit, the components are very low end as well.. and the first thing I did was ditch that hatchet of a saddle. I think I paid $10(US) and don't regret it, I say if you need a beater go for it.
Old 08-03-19, 07:35 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
i am not sure there is a bad centurion- its not like they had bad bikes built. lower end sure, but they all are decent rides.
Old 08-04-19, 08:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is from the early 1970s. At, the time, it would have been considered an upper entry level model. With a hi-tensile frame and steel rims these were quite heavy but well made and durable. As suggested, that is probably not rust on the hubs but aged lubricant and dirt. Unless it's been regularly serviced, which is doubtful, it probably needs a complete overhaul and many consumables. Unless you have the tools and can do the work your self, this adds up very quickly. In such cases, the better approach is to pay more for a bicycle that has been regularly serviced and is ready to ride.

Regarding the catalogue, it is almost certainly not 1972 as claimed, as the pictured bicycles used hex nuts on the hubs. Very early Centurion are typically seen with wingnuts and manufacturers didn't start removing them until after the CPSC's proposed bicycle regulations, which weren't in place for the 1972 model year.
Old 08-04-19, 09:50 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is from the early 1970s. ...

Regarding the catalogue, it is almost certainly not 1972 as claimed, as the pictured bicycles used hex nuts on the hubs. Very early Centurion are typically seen with wingnuts and manufacturers didn't start removing them until after the CPSC's proposed bicycle regulations, which weren't in place for the 1972 model year.
So, as the Centurion Legend is told, the first output of bicycles to become Centurions were Japan made bicycles, destined to be Raleigh Grand Prix'es (as the legend goes, the Japan built bicycles were thought to be made too nicely, and the Raleigh Biggest Minds thought people would come to think that the Japan stuff was better than the home grown versions, so they passed on them, leaving the WSI distributors an opportunity they couldn't resist). Could this bicycle be one of those, from the Legend?
Old 08-04-19, 11:43 PM
t1k

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is from the early 1970s. At, the time, it would have been considered an upper entry level model. With a hi-tensile frame and steel rims these were quite heavy but well made and durable. As suggested, that is probably not rust on the hubs but aged lubricant and dirt. Unless it's been regularly serviced, which is doubtful, it probably needs a complete overhaul and many consumables. Unless you have the tools and can do the work your self, this adds up very quickly. In such cases, the better approach is to pay more for a bicycle that has been regularly serviced and is ready to ride.

Thank you for the great insights Tom.
Unfortunately, the bike was sold. I was hesitating for too long.