Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should You Buy a New Helmet Every 3-4 Years?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should You Buy a New Helmet Every 3-4 Years?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 07:29 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
When did this whole discussion become about whether foam degrades or not? The OP started with the simple input that the industry promotes that it's a good idea to get a new helmet every 5 yrs.
Isn't a degradation of the materials in the helmet the root cause behind the replacement? Nobody ever claimed that helmets should be replaced because fashion trends have changed.
Old 12-17-19, 07:43 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
No reason? Except that the manufacturer - who MIGHT know a thing or two about the material in the helmets and how they last or degrade - recommends replacement. OH, right, that's just a conspiracy...
Ah, "conspiracy." What I find truly odd is that some of the very same people who claim there is a "marketing" or "legal" conspiracy at helmet manufactures uncritically read a reguritated press release of a "study" by a legal forensics company.

OR, you could trust the Snell memorial foundation (who used to be involved in bicycle helmets until the CPSC mucked things up) who recommend a 5 year replacement interval for helmets.
Snell still certifies bicycle helmets.

-mr. bill
Old 12-17-19, 09:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It certainly is with money. You can easily amortize it by just setting aside a tiny bit of money from each paycheck. Time can be a bit more subjective, but for most of us buying a helmet is a simple task that needs very little time. I sympathize with the dilemma of ill-fitting goods because of the shape of ones body, and if that means you are comfortable taking a greater risk in a crash, that's your choice.

No reason? Except that the manufacturer - who MIGHT know a thing or two about the material in the helmets and how they last or degrade - recommends replacement. OH, right, that's just a conspiracy...

OR, you could trust the Snell memorial foundation (who used to be involved in bicycle helmets until the CPSC mucked things up) who recommend a 5 year replacement interval for helmets.

OR you could look to any other sport that uses helmets and see that they ALSO recommend a regular replacement of helmets.

No, I guess it's just more logical to disregard the primary manufacturers and test facilities who makes or tests helmets and assume that, unlike any other petroleum based product, the material in bike helmets is unique and its material properties are unaffected by the passage of time, exposure to sunlight, sweat, skin oils and so forth. Seems logical.

Regarding landfills, you claim not to care, but you also responded to a comment regarding that very topic...

I already posted that the CPSC recommends 5-10 years. Care to bet whether Snell or CPSC have better "data"? It's pretty obvious that there's a ton of guesswork going into the optimal interval as I would consider those both fairly reliable authorities.

I don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to note that manufacturers have a financial incentive to promote frequent replacement, I'd have to be a complete nitwit not to notice it.

I didn't comment on the landfill issue, I commented on what I saw as an especially stupid response to it--equating helmets with tires. Exposure to sweat, sunlight, skin oils, etc. are not the same factors as time. Those are factors that are going to vary with amount of use, not time elapsed since manufacture. Unlike tire "rubber", there is absolutely no evidence that foam is not shelf stable, and there's every reason to believe that the ill-effects of the other factors you listed would be quite obvious to even a cursory examination. Your argument quoted above is to restate your original non sequitur that tires and foam are the same because they're petroleum based and then add "seems quite logical". It's not.

BTW, is this a link to a conspiracy site? They note that the same manufacturer admits its product is still good after 8 years, but recommends 3-5 year replacement: https://helmets.org/replace.htm

Get back to me when you understand that one can suspect that marketing concerns are actually A motivating factor for for-profit manufacturers without being some sort of kook.
Old 12-17-19, 09:13 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Get back to me when you understand that one can suspect that marketing concerns are actually A motivating factor for for-profit manufacturers without being some sort of kook.
What are motivating factors of legal forensics companies to publish research?

-mr. bill
Old 12-17-19, 09:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
What are motivating factors of legal forensics companies to publish research?

-mr. bill
I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!
Old 12-17-19, 09:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
So....What's the answer to the question again?
Old 12-17-19, 09:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
So....What's the answer to the question again?

If you wear a helmet greater than 1625 days old, an anvil will drop from the sky and hit your head.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-17-19, 09:57 AM
mtbronbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
that is what they tell you; who? is it the manufactures? I replace helmets after a hard crash or after a year or two when they look like hobo attire. Is it like getting a flue shot? I would replace after 3-4 years on appearance.
Old 12-17-19, 10:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mtbronbo
that is what they tell you; who? is it the manufactures? I replace helmets after a hard crash or after a year or two when they look like hobo attire. Is it like getting a flue shot? I would replace after 3-4 years on appearance.

That's pretty much the way I do it--I figure the appearance is a pretty good proxy for extent of wear.
Old 12-17-19, 10:13 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mtbronbo
Is it like getting a flue shot?
Or your flue cleaned.
Old 12-17-19, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Or your flue cleaned.
Any legal forensics research on frequency of flue cleanings you'd like to link?

Headline in search of a story:

"Avian Flu Spread When Bird Flew Through Flue"
Old 12-17-19, 12:29 PM
Caliper

I already posted that the CPSC recommends 5-10 years. Care to bet whether Snell or CPSC have better "data"? It's pretty obvious that there's a ton of guesswork going into the optimal interval as I would consider those both fairly reliable authorities.
I would trust Snell over the CPSC, because I never trust Government to get anything right. The CPSC has been doing the bike helmet thing for 20 years now though, wouldn't it be great if they had actually done some rigorous testing of longevity? After all, they have the appropriate baseline data and facilities to run the entire test.

Of course there will be guesswork from any third party. I'm sure there is variation in the exact chemical makeup of each design from one manufacturer to the next. Hmmm.... Who might know something about that? Oh, right, we can't trust them.

I didn't comment on the landfill issue, I commented on what I saw as an especially stupid response to it--equating helmets with tires. Exposure to sweat, sunlight, skin oils, etc. are not the same factors as time. Those are factors that are going to vary with amount of use, not time elapsed since manufacture. Unlike tire "rubber", there is absolutely no evidence that foam is not shelf stable, and there's every reason to believe that the ill-effects of the other factors you listed would be quite obvious to even a cursory examination. Your argument quoted above is to restate your original non sequitur that tires and foam are the same because they're petroleum based and then add "seems quite logical". It's not.
I never said that helmets are tires, rather I used an analogy to tires to challenge the assertion that since helmets linger in landfills for a very long time, therefore a replacement interval is silly. Helmets aren't tires, but also time in a landfill does not equate to functional lifespan.

So you are claiming that absent any visible damage that a helmet will perform the same indefinitely? There is no evidence that foam is not shelf stable? It would be the first petroleum product I am familiar with that is. I also have no way of testing if the material in a helmet is working properly. I can check for visual damage, but have no way to confirm the impact absorbing capacity of the foam.

BTW, is this a link to a conspiracy site? They note that the same manufacturer admits its product is still good after 8 years, but recommends 3-5 year replacement: https://helmets.org/replace.htm

Your note about the manufacturer there is taking quotes from two different times. " in their 2010 catalog ... Unfortunately they now say three to five years" Maybe their helmet designs from nine years ago ARE different, I really don't know but different statements years apart is not evidence of anything other than change.

Your point about financial considerations may be true, but at the same time, what of someone who intentionally disregards the manufacturers instructions for proper use of safety equipment?

And, while you're at it, can you also admit that it's a bit silly to say that on the one hand you trust a manufacturer to make a safety product but then on the other don't trust the same manufacturer to tell you how long the product is OK to use?
Old 12-17-19, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So you are claiming that absent any visible damage that a helmet will perform the same indefinitely? There is no evidence that foam is not shelf stable? It would be the first petroleum product I am familiar with that is.
So I take it you're not familiar with thermoplastics, then? Generally, they are considered to have an infinite shelf life. Have you guessed what kind of material polystyrene is? Yup, it's a thermoplastic. Seriously, the idea that no petroleum based product is stable is a complete howler, that's what the entire category of thermoplastics is best known for.

You're a broken record at this point, you go ahead and believe that manufacturers deserve to be treated with unquestioning obedience. If I weren't so bored with this discussion, I'd explain to you why they have financial incentives (i.e., liability) to turn out a safe product while no financial incentive to avoid making you buy too many of them Have a good day.
Old 12-17-19, 08:16 PM
Caliper

So I take it you're not familiar with thermoplastics, then? Generally, they are considered to have an infinite shelf life. Have you guessed what kind of material polystyrene is? Yup, it's a thermoplastic. Seriously, the idea that no petroleum based product is stable is a complete howler, that's what the entire category of thermoplastics is best known for.
Again, you're confusing something simply being present with the properties that make it useful. Really, what petroleum based product IS stable with age? They may not decompose and crumble to dust but I've yet to see a plastic that doesn't get brittle over time. I always find it a hoot when the plastic toolbox that never goes outside still gets brittle sitting in a closet. PVC pipes that have literally not seen sun in years and have carried nothing but drinking water are not as flexible when you remove them as when they are installed. Funny, those are thermoplastics also. They are still there on the shelf but they aren't quite the same as they once were.

You're a broken record at this point, you go ahead and believe that manufacturers deserve to be treated with unquestioning obedience. If I weren't so bored with this discussion, I'd explain to you why they have financial incentives (i.e., liability) to turn out a safe product while no financial incentive to avoid making you buy too many of them Have a good day.
Ad hominem attacks are usually a sign that you're out of arguments. I'll continue to believe the helmet manufacturers, but also Snell, CPSC, auto racing organizations, sports leagues, and just about everyone who uses a helmet who all recommend replacement. See ya.
Old 12-18-19, 06:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Again, you're confusing something simply being present with the properties that make it useful. Really, what petroleum based product IS stable with age? They may not decompose and crumble to dust but I've yet to see a plastic that doesn't get brittle over time. I always find it a hoot when the plastic toolbox that never goes outside still gets brittle sitting in a closet. PVC pipes that have literally not seen sun in years and have carried nothing but drinking water are not as flexible when you remove them as when they are installed. Funny, those are thermoplastics also. They are still there on the shelf but they aren't quite the same as they once were.

Ad hominem attacks are usually a sign that you're out of arguments. I'll continue to believe the helmet manufacturers, but also Snell, CPSC, auto racing organizations, sports leagues, and just about everyone who uses a helmet who all recommend replacement. See ya.

Not an ad hominem attack to point out you're just repeating the same nonsense. You have some weird experience with plastics which is a neat rhetorical trick because it can't be disproven, I have plastic tubs for decades with absolutely no degradation.

Manufacturer recommendations have nothing to do with the shelf life of foam. Know how I know that? The helmets don't have sell-by dates. Somehow, your hypothetical degradation only starts magically on purchase.

Helmets are also not pvc pipes carrying drinking water, btw. Hydrolytic degradation is a thing, even drinking water is not Ph neutral.

Helmets wear through use, and sun and sweat on the foam is also probably a thing. But I have better information on how much exposure and wear that my helmet has undergone than anyone else on the planet.

I find the fact that I've repeated that 3-5 years has actually been too long for me and you keep accusing me of taking unreasonable risks rather funny.
​​​​​​
Old 12-18-19, 07:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Isn't a degradation of the materials in the helmet the root cause behind the replacement? Nobody ever claimed that helmets should be replaced because fashion trends have changed.
That's just it.. can someone link or provide a quote of what exactly some (which?) helmet manufacturer actually said about replacement every 5 (or is it 3) years, and when they stated this? I'm just curious.

It doesn't have to be wholly or at all about foam degradation. I've already pointed out one example, in that MIPs wasn't even really around 5 years ago. So if a MIPS helmet manufacturer said today something along the lines of: "if your helmet is older than 5 years, we recommend replacing it" -- would they be wrong in stating this if they're actually of the belief that their current product (with MIPS) would be safer than any helmet they sold 5 years ago without it? There is perhaps other tech and/or design that also could be better.. the hard shell material? Maybe the foam itself has had some advancements? Buckle materials?

Another example: I think a good number of helmets recently lost the sharp edges/tails in the back, going to a smoother/rounder profile, as it was realized those sharp ridges (while looking cool) could actually grab road in a crash and twist your head in unpleasant ways.

What would have been really interesting, is if a bunch of those helmets from that 26yr study, were made available to Virginia Tech, for them to put into their relative scoring/testing process. Eg. a bunch of 5yr old helmets, a bunch of 10yr, a bunch of 15yr, etc.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-18-19, 07:05 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Replace your helmet whenever you feel like it needs to be replaced.

Why all of the drama?
Old 12-18-19, 08:53 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Replace your helmet whenever you feel like it needs to be replaced.

Why all of the drama?
You are not new in BF. Drama is BF.
Wait until someone steal your baby bike bolts...
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 12-18-19, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

I replace my helmet when it starts to cause chafing/bleeding "down there."
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-18-19, 03:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

i replace my helmet when it starts to cause chafing/bleeding "down there."
tmi
Old 12-18-19, 05:39 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I replace my helmet when it starts to cause chafing/bleeding "down there."
Yikes!
Old 12-18-19, 05:53 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
a. Yes
b. Probably also yes but seams like reasonable upgrade and what would the downside be?
Old 12-19-19, 11:30 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
...I don't get the resistance to spending about $1-2 a week on a helmet...
The resistance isn't the cost, but the very idea of throwing away something that's perfectly good for no reason. Throw away culture + helmet companies' bottom lines = "it makes just sense to get a new helmet every 3-5 years, because safety!"

As has been discussed, there's a lot of very good reasons to replace a helmet - soft parts degrade, buckle breaks, occipital cradle/ retention parts break and such parts can't be replaced. Crash replacement. It gets scratched up and just looks like crap. Maybe you like the looks or fit of a different one better for whatever reason or think newer ones might be designed to safer (btw, I do think a lot of progress has been made in strap/retention systems since the 90s, and especially in the past 10 years or so. It's much easier to make a helmet fit properly now than it was back then.)

In general just don't like the idea of throwing stuff away that still works fine. Waste of money, resources and landfill space.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-19-19 at 11:56 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-23-19, 11:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Helmets wear through use, and sun and sweat on the foam is also probably a thing. But I have better information on how much exposure and wear that my helmet has undergone than anyone else on the planet.
​​​​​​
You may know more about the use of your helmet but what do you know about the impact that use has on the polymer? The manufacturers have more knowledge about the material than you or I do. I (might) have more knowledge about the polymer than you do since it's my job to know about chemicals and chemical reactions as well as how materials change over time, i.e. "aging". My field isn't in expanded foam nor in manmade polymers but I do pick up knowledge about materials outside of my expertise from time to time for various reasons. All objects...manmade or natural...are subject to degradation through exposure to the environment. How that exposure influences those objects can be difficult to predict. A helmet that is 20 years may be perfectly fine or it could be severely compromised. Most of the compromisation is going to occur at corners and sharp edges of which helmets have a lot. Visual inspection won't tell you anything. Destructive testing might...depending on how you do the testing...but that's not going to leave you with a workable helmet.

The paper on helmet aging cited above indicates that helmet may age well but it has some flaws. We don't know the entire history of each helmet. They didn't test the helmet at the edges because it's too hard to sample there. The experiment doesn't have very good controls since the helmets are donated and don't have a specific history. Do all the helmets have UV coatings or additives to protect them? It would also be good to see a controlled, accelerated aging to see if it matches real world aging.

Perhaps it's all a conspiracy by Big Helmet or it may just be a CYA by Big Helmet to squash the little guy. Then again perhaps not. Do you have any information to address the above concerns or evidence that Big Helmet is doing something nefarious? Have you tested your helmet for degradation byproducts? Have you tested your helmet to see if it is holding up? Or do you look at it and say "seems okay to me" without any basis to say that?

As I've said above, my helmets seldom last 5 years before I biff them against the ground but, even if they did last 5 years, replacing them at that interval isn't that odious. It's cheap insurance and I can take advantage of new technologies.

Originally Posted by Camilo
In general just don't like the idea of throwing stuff away that still works fine. Waste of money, resources and landfill space.

Again, how do you know it "still works fine"? The only way to test it is to destructively test it. You can do that in a laboratory or you can do it by smashing it on the ground with your head in it. One way hurts a whole lot less than the other. In the end, you might have an answer but the helmet is no longer "fine". If the helmet isn't "fine" when you smash it into the ground with your head in it, it could have dire consequences. Either way, the helmet is going to end up in the landfill.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 12-23-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-23-19, 01:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You may know more about the use of your helmet but what do you know about the impact that use has on the polymer? The manufacturers have more knowledge about the material than you or I do. I (might) have more knowledge about the polymer than you do since it's my job to know about chemicals and chemical reactions as well as how materials change over time, i.e. "aging". My field isn't in expanded foam nor in manmade polymers but I do pick up knowledge about materials outside of my expertise from time to time for various reasons. All objects...manmade or natural...are subject to degradation through exposure to the environment. How that exposure influences those objects can be difficult to predict. A helmet that is 20 years may be perfectly fine or it could be severely compromised. Most of the compromisation is going to occur at corners and sharp edges of which helmets have a lot. Visual inspection won't tell you anything. Destructive testing might...depending on how you do the testing...but that's not going to leave you with a workable helmet.

The paper on helmet aging cited above indicates that helmet may age well but it has some flaws. We don't know the entire history of each helmet. They didn't test the helmet at the edges because it's too hard to sample there. The experiment doesn't have very good controls since the helmets are donated and don't have a specific history. Do all the helmets have UV coatings or additives to protect them? It would also be good to see a controlled, accelerated aging to see if it matches real world aging.

Perhaps it's all a conspiracy by Big Helmet or it may just be a CYA by Big Helmet to squash the little guy. Then again perhaps not. Do you have any information to address the above concerns or evidence that Big Helmet is doing something nefarious? Have you tested your helmet for degradation byproducts? Have you tested your helmet to see if it is holding up? Or do you look at it and say "seems okay to me" without any basis to say that?

As I've said above, my helmets seldom last 5 years before I biff them against the ground but, even if they did last 5 years, replacing them at that interval isn't that odious. It's cheap insurance and I can take advantage of new technologies.

Again, how do you know it "still works fine"? The only way to test it is to destructively test it. You can do that in a laboratory or you can do it by smashing it on the ground with your head in it. One way hurts a whole lot less than the other. In the end, you might have an answer but the helmet is no longer "fine". If the helmet isn't "fine" when you smash it into the ground with your head in it, it could have dire consequences. Either way, the helmet is going to end up in the landfill.

You have an argument that proves way too much--if inspection is essentially useless, then I have no way of knowing whether the helmet was fatally compromised in shipment or just basic handling at the store. Obviously, the only rational way to do this is to acquire a helmet right at the end of the production line after, of course, minutely observing every facet of the helmet's production.

Sorry, but if the CPSC says up to 10 years is ok, I'm finding it pretty damn hard to believe that the manufacturers have some secret knowledge that the CPSC doesn't regarding degradation over time.

Can we stop with the nonsense "conspiracy" condescension? These are all business concerns with marketing departments, I don't have to be some sort of paranoid to think that might affect their call on when replacement is needed.

BTW, I don't think anyone here is suggesting that someone use 20 year old helmets,. The question in the OP was specifically about 3-5 years. There seem to be plenty of sources more knowledgeable than thee or me that indicate that that range is not based on anything.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.