Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

53/39 chainrings on 110BCD crank

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

53/39 chainrings on 110BCD crank

Old 01-19-20, 11:44 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Because SRAM.
Which leads to another important question...
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-19-20, 12:48 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
So why use 48-10?
The simplicity of 1x is appealing - my logic is that i rarely use the small chainring on my TT/tri bike, and if i can get 1 chainring that covers my entire range of required gearing, there's no need for anything else. A 48t front covers most flat to rolling routes without requiring me to shift the front. Now that I think about it, I also need to see what SRAM's biggest cog is - I dont recall seeing an option larger than 28t. If so, that wont work - I need a smaller gear for climbs.

Since you guys asked, I admit a large part of my desire to get rid of the FD has to do with the legacy of mechanical shifting in my head. With Di2 (and presumably, also with eTap), front shifting works very reliably and without any trim issues. So yeah, it isnt as if a double is all that bothersome. Still, as i said, there is a certain appeal about the simple elegance of 1x

TL'DR - Because SRAM, yeah
Old 01-19-20, 01:59 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yup. There's a reason the serious ones will use a 55-tooth - not only does using a larger chainring let you use a physically-larger cog with a looser bend in the chain, it also lets you use a cog one more inboard for a straighter chainline. You'd rather use an 11-2X cassette than a 12-2X cassette for a TT, even if you never use the 11-tooth. And it's not just the 'Twitchers - Froome did that as well, at least some years.
The benefits come from lower chain tension, not how much the chain bends from tooth to tooth yielding the same total.

The force of friction is its coefficient multiplied by the force normal to the surface. Larger rings are a greater fraction of crank length yielding a lower multiple between pedal force and chain tension.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 01-19-20, 06:31 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
The simplicity of 1x is appealing - my logic is that i rarely use the small chainring on my TT/tri bike, and if i can get 1 chainring that covers my entire range of required gearing, there's no need for anything else. A 48t front covers most flat to rolling routes without requiring me to shift the front. Now that I think about it, I also need to see what SRAM's biggest cog is - I dont recall seeing an option larger than 28t. If so, that wont work - I need a smaller gear for climbs.

Since you guys asked, I admit a large part of my desire to get rid of the FD has to do with the legacy of mechanical shifting in my head. With Di2 (and presumably, also with eTap), front shifting works very reliably and without any trim issues. So yeah, it isnt as if a double is all that bothersome. Still, as i said, there is a certain appeal about the simple elegance of 1x

TL'DR - Because SRAM, yeah
On a TT bike, I want 1 tooth spacing on the cassette(an 11-21t 10speed cassette), and 54/42 chainrings. I never use the small ring in an event, but it's there if needed.
Shimano front derailleurs work well, and TT bikes use friction shifters for the front, so trimming isn't an issue..
Old 01-19-20, 11:10 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
[QUOTE=noodle soup;21291210]On a TT bike, I want 1 tooth spacing on the cassette(an 11-21t 10speed cassette), and 54/42 chainrings. I never use the small ring in an event, but it's there if needed.
Shimano front derailleurs work well, and TT bikes use friction shifters for the front, so trimming isn't an issue..[/QUOTE

I've never been as fussed about needing closely-spaced cogs as so many people here, actually. Am more concerned about low gearing, especially for triathlons.

Also am never going back to mechanical shifting on a TT bike. Been 5 years using Di2 on my Shiv, and am in the process of converting my wife's Shiv to Di2 as well. Even with friction shifting, it is still a bit of a pain. But yeah, with electronic shifting, switching the front is almost as easy as switching the rear.
Old 01-21-20, 07:21 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I am currently running 53/38 on a 110BCD, I am on Rotor rings which don't do a 39 instead do a 38. The main thing you need to look for is a front ring that is solid like Rotor or Sram. I vote Rotor since sram is sram haha
Likes For MakiNn: