Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Upper Back Pain Cycling - Fit

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 10:43 AM
mohamilton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I'm currently training for a 200 mile gravel ride. Whenever I get to around 60-70 miles my upper back starts to kill.

Curious if I might be better on a 54 or 56 frame? I'm currently riding a Niner RLT Steel in a 56.

I'm 70inches tall and have an actual inseam of about 33.5. I always thought I should be on a 56 being 5' 10" however most fit calculators are suggesting a 52 or 54. All of my pervious bikes have had short 90mm stems too.

I'll be getting a bike fit as soon as things clear with Covid however I thought i'd post here in the meantime.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-20, 11:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Have you played with the fore and aft on your seat? That can make a big difference. I like my seat a little forward more so than others. Seems like I get more power into the cranks then. Others want to balance their CG on the saddle, I like to balance my CG on the crank. It does take some playing with bar height and even stem length to get it feeling right, but it works for me. KOP's is a ridiculous thing to me so if that is your fit religion then just ignore me.

Straight back when you ride? Or hunchback of Notre Dame? Stiff arms all the time? Or a bend at the elbows?
Old 06-01-20, 04:04 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
My initial thought was that you're either too cramped or too stretched out, or you're holding yourself too tightly. But my inseam is 30.5", and the recos I get are 52-55 CM (competitive-Eddy-French fit) on Competitive Cyclist's tool. What calculators are you using.
Old 06-01-20, 06:20 PM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
My initial thought was that you're either too cramped or too stretched out, or you're holding yourself too tightly. But my inseam is 30.5", and the recos I get are 52-55 CM (competitive-Eddy-French fit) on Competitive Cyclist's tool. What calculators are you using.
Maybe I feel a little stretched? I've found putting my saddle back with zero tilt helps so it doesn't hunch by back forward. I don't hold the bars tightly at all - something I learned from endurance running is to never clench your hands.

Using the competitive cycling calculator. Sounds like a lot of people say it's close and some say it's a total bodge.
Old 06-01-20, 06:59 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Bend your elbows and unhunch your shoulders.
Old 06-02-20, 05:41 AM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Bend your elbows and unhunch your shoulders.
I try to do some back stretches on rides too, it seems to help
Likes For mohamilton:
Old 06-02-20, 10:04 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Have a look at this: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html

I've found this stuff is more about fitness than fit. Get a pair of 10 and 15 lb. dumbbells and do, in order: side raises, front raises, rear raises, presses, supersetting those 4 exercises, 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Youtube if you don't know the exercises. Lat pull-downs and seated rows are very good too, but you have to have a gym or home equipment for those.
Old 06-13-20, 07:47 PM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Have a look at this: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html

I've found this stuff is more about fitness than fit. Get a pair of 10 and 15 lb. dumbbells and do, in order: side raises, front raises, rear raises, presses, supersetting those 4 exercises, 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Youtube if you don't know the exercises. Lat pull-downs and seated rows are very good too, but you have to have a gym or home equipment for those.
Thanks! This is helpful. I picked up a foam roller recently, that in combination with laying on a tennis ball to hit trigger pointer on traps has helped a lot as well.
Old 06-19-20, 05:21 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hows the drop between saddle>bars? Maybe need to raise the seat if it's too low or lower the bars to help engage the core?
Old 06-19-20, 02:07 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by mohamilton
Maybe I feel a little stretched? I've found putting my saddle back with zero tilt helps so it doesn't hunch by back forward. I don't hold the bars tightly at all - something I learned from endurance running is to never clench your hands.

Using the competitive cycling calculator. Sounds like a lot of people say it's close and some say it's a total bodge.
I wouldn't adjust saddle height or fore-aft to help with the back issue since that can compound issues. Saddle tilt is worth playing with.

How are your bars sized?

What wheels and tires are you running? What width and pressure?

Also what do you mean by upper back ? Your neck? Between your shoulder blades?
Old 06-19-20, 03:45 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I captain our tandem at least a couple thousand miles/year. That also takes a lot of upper body strength/endurance, maybe a little like gravel riding. Another thing you can do is pushups and plank to exhaustion. That helps. I do that every other morning after my stretches. 1000 pushups in a month would be a good goal.
Old 06-28-20, 12:14 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

It may just be the reach to the handlebars is a little too much. Moving the seat will mess up your pedal stroke, so look into raising the bars or a shorter stem to reduce reach.
Old 07-28-20, 10:25 AM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
Hows the drop between saddle>bars? Maybe need to raise the seat if it's too low or lower the bars to help engage the core?
I raised the seat post and that definitely helped. Im going to try lowering the bars slightly and shorten the reach next
Likes For mohamilton:
Old 07-28-20, 10:28 AM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I wouldn't adjust saddle height or fore-aft to help with the back issue since that can compound issues. Saddle tilt is worth playing with.

How are your bars sized?

What wheels and tires are you running? What width and pressure?

Also what do you mean by upper back ? Your neck? Between your shoulder blades?
Im running 42cm bars and the reach on them is really far, I may swap out to a short reach bar. Getting sharp pain in my upper left trap near my neck/spine.

40mm tires at 60psi
Old 07-28-20, 10:32 AM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I captain our tandem at least a couple thousand miles/year. That also takes a lot of upper body strength/endurance, maybe a little like gravel riding. Another thing you can do is pushups and plank to exhaustion. That helps. I do that every other morning after my stretches. 1000 pushups in a month would be a good goal.
Thats a good call, gravel can definitely take much more of a beating than road riding. I think my core strength is good overall though - I can hold planks over 7 minutes and can hit over 25 pulls ups
Old 07-28-20, 11:27 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Im running 42cm bars and the reach on them is really far, I may swap out to a short reach bar. Getting sharp pain in my upper left trap near my neck/spine.

40mm tires at 60psi
Have you seen this? https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html
Old 08-02-20, 07:31 AM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yes! This is awesome, thanks for sharing. Rotating my pelvis forward has been a revelation, feels like you can get a lot more power out too. Starting to notice less pain now. I think I stained my left trap so it'll probably take a little while to recover fully but things are getting better.
Likes For mohamilton:
Old 08-07-20, 02:21 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Pain in the traps frequently comes from too much reach. I would try going shorter and possibly lower with the handlebar if your current torso angle feels comfortable and powerful.
Old 08-08-20, 01:57 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Re: rotating pelvis forward

SMP saddles are amazing for this. I honestly can't overstate how awesome they are. Finally settled on them in college after a period of having issues with like 5-6 well regarded saddles and haven't looked back. Took a break from riding for almost 10 years and when I got back on the bike I got used to the saddle again real quick!