Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Some questions about Youtuber 1bike1world

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 03:49 PM
WannabeBiker123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I don't know if any of you watch him but basically he's cycling around Europe with a cat that he found and he sleeps most nights wild camping in a tent. I've always been curious about some things and he's never done a Q&A to answer them so perhaps some of you who would be familiar with this kind of cycling style could answer them.

After cycling all day, how on earth can he just pitch his tent and start sleeping when he obviously must be sweating like mad and his clothing drenched in sweat?

How do you think he leaves his bike and panniers and all his gear on the bike when he has to go into public buildings / shops where he cannot take his bike?

How do you think he manages his personal hygiene? Jumping in a lake is all well and good when it's summer but what about winter?

What about laundry? I personally just can't bring myself to wear a pair of underwear more than 1 day especially if I've spent all day sweating my bits off in them. Same for socks.

I wonder how much money he spends per day, must be burning quite a few calories doing all this cycling and he's a fairly large guy but you only ever see him eating ramen or porridge...

I know what's shown in his vlogs is only a tiny part of his day and there's so much good and bad that we don't see but please if you have any idea about some of the questions I've asked please reply because I'm very keen to know.
Old 08-18-20, 05:39 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I've no idea about that channel, but here's a gcn interview with a different bikepacker that I think answers a lot of your questions;

Old 08-18-20, 06:08 PM
WannabeBiker123

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
I've no idea about that channel, but here's a gcn interview with a different bikepacker that I think answers a lot of your questions;
Thanks for the video link but he didn't really answer a single question related to my post, except washing your clothes in a lake or river which I guess makes sense.
Old 08-18-20, 07:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Ahh, the cat cyclist.
I might watch a couple of the videos.

However, as far as sleeping, I can be wiped out after a hard ride. Get into a tent or bed without a lot of outside stimulation and I'm out. I also ride to dusk/dark, and then perhaps a nibble to eat, and it is bedtime.

The video I saw part of didn't show any kind of breakneck speed. A few clouds in the sky. Lots of variables, but one can't necessarily conclude that he is completely covered in sweat, especially after being touring for months.

A good lock, and a lot of people will leave the bike alone. I've done a lot of utility cycling. People usually would leave my bags alone, sometimes go after things like lights. If in doubt lock the bike and bring the rest with oneself.

Some cyclists will also mix "warm showers" with tent camping. So, every couple of days there is a chance to clean up, hopefully do some washing, and then head off clean.
Old 08-18-20, 08:16 PM
Berta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I’ve watched quite a few of these. He gets a hotel room or stays at a hostel on occasion, and he seems to have friends to stay with at times. OT: I find I brace myself sometimes when Nala’s standing up outside of her carrier-bag while he’s zipping around on the bike
Old 08-18-20, 11:45 PM
vgmightyp

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Tarmac Disc Sport, 2020 CAADX 105, 2018 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Specialized Sirrus Disc, 1997 Mongoose Maneuver

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I remember seeing this originally on the Dodo. Riding around the world and found a cute little cat.
Old 08-19-20, 08:31 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I had the same questions about Forrest Gump, when he ran back and forth across the country for three years.
Likes For Reflector Guy: