Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Giant

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 01:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
When people argue over bike brands they have to understand that a half dozen mfg in the world make 99% of bike frames. Those mfg get in orders from the different brands, weld up a frame and paint it with the name of the bike company that ordered it. They for the most part are all the same bike with different paint and name on them.
You leave out an incredibly critical detail in this- just because a couple frames come out of the same warehouse doesnt mean they are of the same design or quality.
A contract manufacturer will have many levels of quality they are capable of and which is followed depends on cost and oversight.

You are completely incorrect when you claim they are for the most part all the same.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-18-20, 01:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
When people argue over bike brands they have to understand that a half dozen mfg in the world make 99% of bike frames. Those mfg get in orders from the different brands, weld up a frame and paint it with the name of the bike company that ordered it. They for the most part are all the same bike with different paint and name on them.
Are you really that misinformed or do you get your jollies by posting what you know is tripe?
Old 08-18-20, 02:00 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The point was to share a news article with everyone. I read this article earlier today and found it interesting since I like hearing about global supply chains.
And yet he someone barely discussed what the article is about or what his own thoughts are.
Old 08-18-20, 02:28 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
And yet he someone barely discussed what the article is about or what his own thoughts are.
It’s not SPAM by BF rules. Let it go.

A good example of sharing an article with little discussion on the part of the OP:

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...cross-u-s.html

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-18-20 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
And OP followed up on none of that in his OP beyond "no manufacturing in the US any time soon, but in Hungary ('oh my God stop the presses why not US but Hungary')".
As opposed to all your fascinating posts on why we shouldn't like what OP posted?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-20, 02:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
Spam is an attempt to promote a product by posting a link. As paid for by the owner of the link. It doesn't apply in this case at all. Not sure why we can't discuss the article and drop the other nonsense.

If we could somehow divine a legit poster from a spammer, we wouldn't have the limits on posting pics or links. But there are dormant accounts on this site that were made in preparation for posting spam, it happens sometimes that they get activated years later. But most people can figure out how to get to 10 posts in 2 days, so we're keeping the rules. I have had to delete spam post by post back in the bad old days because the system only lets moderators delete 50 posts at a time. I'm immune to complaints about it.

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-18-20 at 02:52 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-18-20, 02:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz

A good example of sharing an article with little discussion on the part of the OP:

I read OP's post as saying "Obviously I don't know much about the industry, but this is interesting". I don't see anything wrong with that. OP admitted never having heard of Giant, so wasn't claiming to be some sort of savant with a lot to say on the subject.

Generally, I like "here's an article, what do you think of it" threads, except when they're about cyclists getting killed. That always degenerates into a pointless "who's at fault" fight.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-20, 03:00 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
My Surly touring bike is 60cm. Does that make it a giant bike?
Does if you and your bike are standing next to me

Old 08-18-20, 03:02 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Thank you!

According to post #9 , you should demerit yourself as a spam apologist.
He will be flogged at our next QA meeting.
Old 08-18-20, 03:05 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
And OP followed up on none of that in his OP beyond "no manufacturing in the US any time soon, but in Hungary ('oh my God stop the presses why not US but Hungary')".
You've been here just four freaking months, and you arrived during a pandemic. Have you been quarantined? Tested?

Lighten up, man, you're getting all wound up over nothing.
Old 08-18-20, 03:20 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
giant FTW!!!
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 08-18-20, 06:41 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Giant also has the ability to weave the cf thread into sheets of whatever design/strength they need for the frame's purpose.

Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-18-20, 06:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Surly touring bike is 60cm. Does that make it a giant bike?
6'11" Bill Walton's Bike is Bigger...
Old 08-18-20, 08:15 PM
aclinjury

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
that bike cannot be stable, wheelbase too short relative to center of mass
Old 08-18-20, 08:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tell him that.
Old 08-18-20, 11:47 PM
ZHVelo

You seem to be mistaking me for the other user, I never claimed it is spam.
Old 08-18-20, 11:48 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by BillyD
You've been here just four freaking months, and you arrived during a pandemic. Have you been quarantined? Tested?

Lighten up, man, you're getting all wound up over nothing.
Ah BillyD the best mod ever is back.
Old 08-18-20, 11:49 PM
ZHVelo

As opposed to all your fascinating posts on why we shouldn't like what OP posted?
lmfao I asked him what the point was, he could have elaborated if he wanted...he never did
Old 08-19-20, 01:22 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
This is like the time some guy here attacked me as being unreasonable for using math (theoretical nonsense!) to show that pairing an 11-40 cassette with a 30-39-50 road triple might not be a great idea. Any reasonable person would just use certain gearing combos and would never inadvertently make a shift in error. I still regret not enthusiastically agreeing with him and telling the OP to listen to that guy. Seriously, when posting on forums, people will find any reason to have an argument, even if one doesn't really exist.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 08-19-20, 03:18 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Shawn Bradley’s even more gianter.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/11...ke-found-photo
Old 08-19-20, 04:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

lmfao I asked him what the point was, he could have elaborated if he wanted...he never did
That accounts for your first post. How many posts do you have in this thread?

Tell you what, why don't you maybe post something about the article or its subject rather than endlessly campaigning against op? No one is buying it, let it go.

Interesting thing in that article is that the CEO of Giant is being careful about adding production capacity because she expects this bike boom to go bust fairly soon. Got any feelings about that? How easy or hard is it to get a bike where you are right now?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-19-20, 06:44 AM
ZHVelo

That accounts for your first post. How many posts do you have in this thread?

Tell you what, why don't you maybe post something about the article or its subject rather than endlessly campaigning against op? No one is buying it, let it go.

Interesting thing in that article is that the CEO of Giant is being careful about adding production capacity because she expects this bike boom to go bust fairly soon. Got any feelings about that? How easy or hard is it to get a bike where you are right now?
Wrong, like almost always. I made one comment about OP, and then a bunch of people jumped on me and I replied to that, not to OP himself.
Old 08-19-20, 06:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by zhvelo
that was exactly my point - there was absolutely nothing constructive about that post. A link to an article and then the rest was so random there was no point to it.

To clarify: Consider the last sentence of the op, seems a bit off to complain about that, and may have something to do with him having so few posts anyway. Then the rest is about giant that op didn't know was the largest (ok, great) and then something about manufacturing not in the us (why would it be, a taiwanese company has no reason to produce in the us when even us giants, pun intended, like apple outsource to china/taiwan themselves). Please tell me, what was constructive about that post.
and op followed up on none of that in his op beyond "no manufacturing in the us any time soon, but in hungary ('oh my god stop the presses why not us but hungary')".
and yet he someone barely discussed what the article is about or what his own thoughts are.
wrong, like almost always. I made one comment about op, and then a bunch of people jumped on me and i replied to that, not to op himself.

lol. To be clear, I didn't say you repeatedly replied to the OP, I said you posted several times about why we shouldn't like his post. Obviously, I wasn't wrong about that at all. QED

I challenged you to react substantively to the linked article, and even asked you to discuss what's going on with bike supplies where you live. That might actually be interesting. I'd actually like to know what you think. Want to give it a try?

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-19-20 at 06:54 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-19-20, 07:10 AM
ZHVelo

lol. To be clear, I didn't say you repeatedly replied to the OP, I said you posted several times about why we shouldn't like his post. Obviously, I wasn't wrong about that at all. QED

I challenged you to react substantively to the linked article, and even asked you to discuss what's going on with bike supplies where you live. That might actually be interesting. I'd actually like to know what you think. Want to give it a try?
Because you and others questioned why i made that post, wrongly questioned it. I replied to you outlining why I did. If you get your panties in a twist because I kept replying, maybe don't ask...

Oh did you? Good for you.
Old 08-19-20, 07:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Because you and others questioned why i made that post, wrongly questioned it. I replied to you outlining why I did. If you get your panties in a twist because I kept replying, maybe don't ask...

Oh did you? Good for you.

Congrats on making about a dozen ignore lists.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.