Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's The Secret To Posting Flickr Photos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 03:23 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

I'm in process of changing from Photobucket to Flickr and I'm having a problem getting my Flickr photos to load here. I know there is a simple answer for this, but I'm to simple to find it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance if this issue has been covered before.

Old 08-21-20, 03:35 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Best answer is -- don't. Attach them directly to your posts here on BF, so they'll be in your gallery. That way, when Barfbucket, Flicku, whatever decides to reorganize your folders or hold them hostage behind some half-baked policy, the gallery copies are still visible here.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-21-20, 04:09 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Originally Posted by madpogue
Best answer is -- don't. Attach them directly to your posts here on BF, so they'll be in your gallery. That way, when Barfbucket, Flicku, whatever decides to reorganize your folders or hold them hostage behind some half-baked policy, the gallery copies are still visible here.
Thanks for the advice. When I try to directly post this is what I get. Its a bit disappointing to just end up with a link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/397020.../shares/1F1Chj

: Mike
Old 08-21-20, 04:16 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
let's give this a try....

click on the little "down" arrow in the lower right (next to the shopping cart)

select the "view all sizes" option......

this will show the large size version of the image.......

I believe that the standard preference for the forum is to use the 800 pixel version, so click on that option at the top,,,,,
now right-click on the "download the medium 800 size of this photo" and select "copy link location"....

you can now insert that link between the "img" commands like this (and I'm inserting a photo of the text so that it doesn't get executed).....

that should do it...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-21-20, 04:26 PM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
let's give this a try....

Steve in Peoria
Thanks Steve, I'm off to try this.

Old 08-21-20, 04:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 3,192 Posts
I use the flickr desktop site, so I can see the share icon. From there, I click the bbcode, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it in my bf post. It will have the image tags around the jpeg file name. Pretty simple.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-21-20, 04:36 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Steve, that is interesting, never tried or did it that way.
I go to the picture in my flickr, click on the curved arrow (share photo) which is next to the download arrow you mention, which brings up a dropdown menu with different size options, then copy/paste the link in that box, then post in the thread
I do the "curvy arrow" guy thing too.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-21-20, 04:54 PM
Nemosengineer 

Thank You VERY MUCH!!!!

Old 08-21-20, 04:58 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
When I used to use Flickr to Post to BF I did the SurferRosa method now I just upload from Iphone to OneDrive on my laptop and flickr is out of the loop
Old 08-21-20, 05:24 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Thank You VERY MUCH!!!!

congrats on successful linkage!

now... what the heck is it??

Steve in Peoria
(I'd heard about the "share" arrow on Flickr, but forgot all about it. I think I learned my method before Flickr offered the "share" arrow)
Old 08-21-20, 07:14 PM
Nemosengineer 

congrats on successful linkage!

now... what the heck is it??

Steve in Peoria
(I'd heard about the "share" arrow on Flickr, but forgot all about it. I think I learned my method before Flickr offered the "share" arrow)
Hi Steve, And Thanks Everyone For All The Help.
Shims for a turbine wheel stacked on a guide pin. Parts for a new test cell, that's the turbine in the foreground. I cant believe these guys pay me to play here.

Old 08-21-20, 07:28 PM
steelbikeguy

Hi Steve, And Thanks Everyone For All The Help.
Shims for a turbine wheel stacked on a guide pin. Parts for a new test cell, that's the turbine in the foreground. I cant believe these guys pay me to play here.......
pretty neat!
Turbines are an amazing assembly of airfoils going around and around (and some staying put). Lots of remarkable metallurgy too!

The last interesting lab that I worked in was this one......

the technical term is "semi-anechoic chamber", at least in regards to radio waves. We used it to see if our electronics made too much electrical noise, or if it was too sensitive to electrical noise. Lots of challenges, and a side benefit was that there was no risk to your hearing! You did have to know enough to make sure the 1000 watt RF transmitter was turned off before walking into the chamber, though! Don't want to microwave any of your organs, obviously.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-21-20, 08:15 PM
Nemosengineer 

pretty neat!
Turbines are an amazing assembly of airfoils going around and around (and some staying put). Lots of remarkable metallurgy too!

The last interesting lab that I worked in was this one......
the technical term is "semi-anechoic chamber", at least in regards to radio waves. We used it to see if our electronics made too much electrical noise, or if it was too sensitive to electrical noise. Lots of challenges, and a side benefit was that there was no risk to your hearing! You did have to know enough to make sure the 1000 watt RF transmitter was turned off before walking into the chamber, though! Don't want to microwave any of your organs, obviously.

Steve in Peoria
Is all of that inside a Faraday cage?

Old 08-21-20, 08:42 PM
steelbikeguy

Is all of that inside a Faraday cage?

Yep.
It's a big metal shell, with carefully sealed entry and exit points (for both people and wires).
Part of the fun is that the testing tries to avoid reflections from the walls and ceiling, so they are covered with ferrite material that absorbs radio waves. There is also some foam loaded with carbon to absorb a slightly different range of radio waves. The ferrites are a ceramic and weigh a lot, so there is a massive structure outside of the metal shell to support this stuff.
Here's the view just outside of the chamber. You can see a large door that slides to one side to allow large equipment to enter the chamber.

It was an interesting way to make a living.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-21-20, 08:51 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I have used Flickr for years, and used to import photos starting with the "curved arrow"; but it takes a bit of time. I actually find it easier to do a marquee screen shot on my computer (both OS X and Windows will do this) saved directly to the clipboard, and just paste that into the dialog that BF provides to drag/drop photos in. By default on a Mac, this format is PNG, but you can change that to JPG or something else using the Terminal (look up the process on Google). On a Mac, the keystrokes are Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-4 to save the screenshot to clipboard; leave off the Ctrl and the clip will be saved wherever your computer does that by default. An advantage of this method is that you can crop images while making the marquee.

If the image is to high a resolution (making it "euge" on BF -- this is a problem sometimes with Mac Retina screens, if you can't zoom the original image out somewhat), then I can paste it first into a blank email document, where I'm prompted to select an appropriate general size for the paste.
Old 08-21-20, 10:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
I've used SteelBikeGuy's method for years with this modification:
The third button on the bottom right is "Download this photo". Hit this, then "View all sizes". This gives you a preview.
Right-click (in Windows) the preview image and hit "Copy image address".
In Bike Forums, hit the "Upload" button.
Paste the image URL in the appropriate spot and hit "Upload". This is the result:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-22-20, 07:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Flickr uses some odd code to prevent the typical "right click => Copy Image Location" method that works on most other sites. I find I need to look at the page source, [CTRL-U] in most browsers, then search, [CTRL-F] in most browsers, looking for "jpg," then copy the "staticflickr" link found, and paste it between "IMG" tags.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
staticflickr.jpg (167.7 KB, 26 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-22-20, 11:12 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^ That's still vulnerable to future restructuring/reorganization on flicku. Once you've determined the image location, rather than referencing it using [ img ] tags, you can attach it based on that location. That puts a copy in your BF gallery, and even if flicku goes down, as long as BF is up, it'll present properly in your post. That's what I was referring to several posts up, and if you attach the actual jpg, it works.
Likes For madpogue: