Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Carbon forks

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Carbon forks

Old 08-25-20, 04:27 PM
Jakehodgi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon forks

Hi, I’m building my frame up and putting my fork on and I’ve done everything correctly yet there’s a very slight wobble if I move the forks forward and back, I’ve never had a carbon frame my past frame was firm and wouldn’t move is this normal, if not what can I do to amend this?
im not sure how to add a video highlighting the problem but I’m very stuck and would appreciate any help
Old 08-26-20, 08:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Read the fine print in the sub-forum description.

Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.
I think you want to be here.................

Bicycle MechanicsBroken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
Oh.....
Welcome to BF.
Old 08-26-20, 11:34 AM
Jakehodgi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh my bad, thank you

thanks
Originally Posted by Iride01
Read the fine print in the sub-forum description.

I think you want to be here.................

Oh.....
Welcome to BF.
Likes For Jakehodgi:
Old 08-26-20, 11:46 AM
tjc4golf

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a carbon fork on one of my bikes with slight play. I think I need to cut another millimeter or two or three off of the steerer tube. I didn't want to cut it too short (you can always go shorter but can't go longer) so I played it safe. As a result my steerer tube compression plug can't compress everything as much as it needs to be compressed.

I only ride this bike occasionally and only on leisurely rides with the girlfriend so I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet so I can't confirm but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.
Old 08-26-20, 11:48 AM
Jakehodgi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good shout

this could potentially be it, I haven’t cut it down yet just installed it with my handlebars to see where I want it cutting (waiting for TT handlebars)

Originally Posted by tjc4golf
I have a carbon fork on one of my bikes with slight play. I think I need to cut another millimeter or two or three off of the steerer tube. I didn't want to cut it too short (you can always go shorter but can't go longer) so I played it safe. As a result my steerer tube compression plug can't compress everything as much as it needs to be compressed.

I only ride this bike occasionally and on leisurely rides with the girlfriend so I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet so I can't confirm but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.
Old 08-26-20, 12:37 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc4golf

I only ride this bike occasionally and only on leisurely rides with the girlfriend so I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet so I can't confirm but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.
Or add a spacer under the stem instead of trying to nibble away 2-3mm of steerer

Last edited by Bob the Mech; 08-26-20 at 12:44 PM.