Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Arizona Riding

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Arizona Riding

Old 09-01-20, 02:00 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Arizona Riding

Any local C&V peeps up for some riding in the next 4 weeks? I'm in town visiting family, just had my 2002 Davidson "zero bike" tuned up locally and am ready to hit the roads/paths.

I am in Peoria, Happy Valley Road and 83rd Avenue, but also have my car so can drive to jumping-off points. If interested, check into the thread - maybe with route suggestions? Shoot me a PM for contact details.

My bike with the local mechanic, Dennis, who does his business out of his garage:

A former bike shop manager/owner, he supplements his other job with Monday-Sunday availability for wrenching on Valley resident's bikes.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-01-20, 03:40 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Ohhh so this is where you went off to! Happy riding my friend.
Likes For RaleighSport:
Old 09-01-20, 07:35 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mmmmmmmmm.
Arizona!
Old 09-01-20, 11:17 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
There's a bunch of multi use trails that are smooth asphalt in the area. The one I ride goes from Tempe to Scottsdale in one direction and close to downtown Phoenix in the other. I start at Tempe Town Lake and head west from the Center for the Arts. There's less people that direction, but the other direction goes through several parks.
I think they still close the road up South Mountain on Sunday mornings. One day I'll get brave enough to peddle up there. https://www.phoenix.gov/calendar/parks/3223
Going to Bisbee while you're here? Bisbee Bicycle Brothel
Likes For ltokuno:
Old 09-02-20, 12:00 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
We moved to ~53rd and Pinnacle Peak when I was six, in 1983. It was horsey suburbs on acre lots. We awoke every Saturday to dirt bike engines and target practice. Happy Valley road was the end of civilization at the freeway, and so was 55th on PP. HV & 83rd was howling desert on the way to Lake Pleasant!

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-02-20 at 12:06 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-02-20, 05:47 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 2,594 Posts
Mmmm, Bisbee:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-02-20, 07:28 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
The valley up there will be as usual 110º this weekend but Bisbee should be ~ 85º!

Edit: I forgot to add what they say up there: "But it is a dry heat"

Last edited by easyupbug; 09-02-20 at 07:30 AM. Reason: quote
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 09-02-20, 07:32 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
"But it is a dry heat"
So is your oven.

FWIW, I recommend starting out at sunrise (even better: first light) and not planning on more than three hours or so, even though we're in a cooling trend right now.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 09-02-20 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 09:07 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
look up Scott Calhoun, email me if you don’t have his contact info.
Old 09-02-20, 10:20 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by ltokuno
There's a bunch of multi use trails that are smooth asphalt in the area. The one I ride goes from Tempe to Scottsdale in one direction and close to downtown Phoenix in the other. I start at Tempe Town Lake and head west from the Center for the Arts. There's less people that direction, but the other direction goes through several parks.
I think they still close the road up South Mountain on Sunday mornings. One day I'll get brave enough to peddle up there. https://www.phoenix.gov/calendar/parks/3223
Yep, these are good rides. There's a also a nice long desert path just south of Downtown Phoenix that also ends you up at Tempe Town Lake.

The Bisbee Bicycle Brothel is currently closed to looking. You can email him for something you may want to purchase and arrange that as an outside meeting but otherwise he's. got the doors closed.

I won't be doing much riding in the next few weeks, but I'd be interested in contacting your local mechanic for some service if he's got an appreciation for C&V.
Old 09-02-20, 11:01 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by ltokuno
Dennis actually passed me a map of trails and such - plus suggested a couple rides local to where I'm staying, too. Hopefully the South Mountain road is closed Sunday mornings and I can get up to do that, too.

It was a long drive down from Seattle (didn't do myself any favors completing it in one 21-hour sitting), so my jaunts to riding locations will be relatively short. BBB is out of the question in that regard; there are some great photos of the place courtesy of northbend and others when they rode out that way last year, so I'll just enjoy it vicariously through those

DD
Old 09-02-20, 11:05 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
We moved to ~53rd and Pinnacle Peak when I was six, in 1983. It was horsey suburbs on acre lots. We awoke every Saturday to dirt bike engines and target practice. Happy Valley road was the end of civilization at the freeway, and so was 55th on PP. HV & 83rd was howling desert on the way to Lake Pleasant!
I'd just graduated HS the year before you moved. Used to party in the desert out here back in those days, and run three-wheelers around the desert, probably right on the site of where I'm staying during my visit.

I rode out on Lake Pleasant Parkway for my first acclimation ride yesterday at 2pm. Flatted about 10 miles out, which led to having to be rescued. I had my patch kit, spare tube, tools - but forgot the CO2 inflator. Doh!

DD
Old 09-02-20, 11:17 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by polymorphself
...but I'd be interested in contacting your local mechanic for some service if he's got an appreciation for C&V.
Dennis' business is Bike Valet and his contact info is: dennis@bikevaletaz.com - 928-853-9027. Shoot him a text - that's his preferred method of establishing communication.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-02-20, 12:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Ohhh so this is where you went off to! Happy riding my friend.
Yeah, for about a month or so. Catching up with family - and had to get out of crazy-town for a bit

How are you and yours dealing with the smoke? I passed up going through Oregon and California on the way down specifically to avoid the wildfire issue.

DD
Old 09-02-20, 12:53 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Hey, you’re right in my neck of the desert!

I’m glad you got some ride time in yesterday, it was some of the best weather we’ve had in weeks. Unfortunately, I think it’s back up to 110 this weekend and throughout the upcoming weeks.

I will not be doing much riding due to weather, but can also attest to the lovely Rio Salado Audubon ride. They just expanded the path, you can now travel from just southwest of downtown Phoenix all the way up East to Mesa. Lovely ride with minimal interference.

Enjoy the heat!
Old 09-02-20, 02:47 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Not planning any trips back to Sun City anytime soon, but thanks for asking. 😁 I probably do need to hit Bisbee yet, don’t have any of that fine Bisbee turquoise. Yet. 😉

Have fun, and bring plenty of water. 😎
Old 09-03-20, 11:11 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Yeah, for about a month or so. Catching up with family - and had to get out of crazy-town for a bit

How are you and yours dealing with the smoke? I passed up going through Oregon and California on the way down specifically to avoid the wildfire issue.

DD
It's been interesting, lots of running the air filters when possible.. the second biggest one from the LNU complex is a few miles from my house but they've got it under control.
Likes For RaleighSport:
Old 09-03-20, 05:57 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I did all of my AZ riding out in the East Valley. My parents retired to wintering Apache Junction - and then what is now Gold Canyon. I Bought the Miyata 710 in Tempe five years ago from a graduating AZ State student that didn't want to ship it back to the east coast... I kept it at my mom's place out there to give me something to do when she wasn't napping or whatever...

On my yearly week-long visits out there - usually sometime between January and March when I needed a break from Cleveland winters - I rode the Miyata as far west as Mesa 20 miles to the CAF Air Museum at Falcon Field, or farther south as far as the 30 miles to Florence - Those are one-way distances. I really wanted to ride US60/SR79 all the way to Tucson (80 miles) to visit family there, but mom passed away two years ago so I shipped the bike back home....

Would I want to be riding out there this time of year? Nope.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-07-20, 11:32 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Hey, you’re right in my neck of the desert!

I will not be doing much riding due to weather, but can also attest to the lovely Rio Salado Audubon ride. They just expanded the path, you can now travel from just southwest of downtown Phoenix all the way up East to Mesa. Lovely ride with minimal interference.

Enjoy the heat!
Is there any kind of route online for this?
Old 09-07-20, 11:51 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
look up Scott Calhoun, email me if you don’t have his contact info.
So happy to see Scott mentioned here. He's a Tucson gem for sure.