Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 09-07-20, 09:23 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by N2motorsports
Thought we could get in a ride before the heat. Started at 6:30 off scripps poway near the 67, bombed down scripps and climbed southend of pomerado and rode toward Kearney villa and then to genesis. In la jolla, made our way to Torrey pines, weather low 90s, full tank looking great. As soon as we went away from the coast to the 56 pathway, it was another planet. It was so hot my eyes were sweating then it would dry up with a blast of 110 degree wind. The last 9 miles were brutal, headaches, buzzing noises in my head, could not concentrate, making bad decisions just pure misery and very dangerous. I'll never do that again, but I was so eager to ride my new build bike I ignored all the dangers associated with heat exhaustion, never again. Stay safe folks.
that climb up the "purple monster" (or poway rd or the 67) can be miserable when it's hot. glad you were okay enough to post and remind us of the dangers.
we cyclists tend to try and push through things and we get away with it most of the time. i was at work outside, setting things up for the evening and had to
take a 5-min break because i was getting light headed. pushed through an overheated climb of (northern by east fork) gmr on sept 1st when all i
wanted to do was sit in the shade for 10 mins.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-07-20 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 07:16 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
No waves & packed beaches meant 3 good rides. Sat. looped around Tustin/Irvine/Costa Mesa. Sun. went up Brea Cyn/Pathfinder/Fullerton Rd./East-West Rds. Added a few hills to start with up Gilbert/Idaho St. then back up & over Euclid. Even got a Roubaix-style section going down Rosecrans. Between Gilbert & Hwy 39 I don't think it's been repaved since the General himself was alive. Sun. down to PCH in HB up thru Sunset then back home. Marine layer & tailwind made for a cool, easy ride.
Back to work now!
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 09-08-20, 07:49 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Labor Day ride from Point Loma to Swami's. Then back to Peets in Point Loma for a mocha. 52 miles.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-09-20, 11:13 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
The Saturday over Labor Day weekend, I rode for my first time from my house in Pasadena up Angeles Crest (Hwy2) to the Mt Wilson Observatory. Got out early to beat the heat. Even though air temps rose quickly, most of the last 9 miles were in the shade, so was pretty pleasant.

After descending from Mt Wilson back to Redbox, I felt great, so I decided to get more ride and head east on Angeles Crest. The ride up to this point had lulled me into a false sense of security, though. This next section of the road is south facing and had been soaking up the sunlight all morning. The air temps were well over 100 at this point, but the heat radiating off the road and the rocky mountain walls was like a furnace. After about 30min, I decided to abort and turn around.

I came upon a stranded motorist: three girls who'd run out of gas. The exterior thermometer on their car was reading 118 at this point. It was boiling.
Maybe because of covid, they said no-one would stop to help them. Since there's no cell reception out there, I got their info and rode back to the fire station at Clear Creek and summoned help for them.
This put me even deeper into the heat of the day. The ride home, though almost entirely downhill was brutal. It felt like someone was blowing a hairdryer on me, and even the water in my water bottles heated up so hot it was barely drinkable.

I survived to tell the tale, though
stats:
58 mi
6,100' ascent
4:08 moving time

Stay safe out there!
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 09-09-20, 12:03 PM
jorell

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2seven0
No waves & packed beaches meant 3 good rides. Sat. looped around Tustin/Irvine/Costa Mesa. Sun. went up Brea Cyn/Pathfinder/Fullerton Rd./East-West Rds. Added a few hills to start with up Gilbert/Idaho St. then back up & over Euclid. Even got a Roubaix-style section going down Rosecrans. Between Gilbert & Hwy 39 I don't think it's been repaved since the General himself was alive. Sun. down to PCH in HB up thru Sunset then back home. Marine layer & tailwind made for a cool, easy ride.
Back to work now!
West
Can you share details or a Strava map of the route through Fullerton/Brea? I live in the area and generally head to one of the river trails for longer rides, but also need to squeeze in shorter ones nearby in the mornings before work. Thanks.
Old 09-09-20, 02:25 PM
2seven0

Originally Posted by jorell
Can you share details or a Strava map of the route through Fullerton/Brea? I live in the area and generally head to one of the river trails for longer rides, but also need to squeeze in shorter ones nearby in the mornings before work. Thanks.
I don't have a Strava account so can't post a map. Bear in mind my wife & I both work so the routes we take may be crowded on weekday commute times. That said I assume you're familiar with the area ie. which roads are bike-friendly. If you're not sure I suggest driving them first to recon.
The hill up Gilbert/Idaho between Malvern & Imperial is nice you could do a repeat on it same with Euclid. I wouldn't ride the short stretch of Imperial on a crowded morning the 3rd lane is narrow.
We make our way to Brea Cyn Road where Brea Blvd/St. College intersects Central Ave. (La Habra Blvd.). Up Brea Cyn to Pathfinder. Left over the 57 fwy. up & around westward till it ends at Harbor. South on Harbor then a quick right on Fullerton Rd. Up the hill then right on East Rd. It will end at Hacienda Rd. Left a few hundred yards downhill then right on West Rd. Becomes Santa Gertrudes at Whittier Blvd.
Hope this helps!
West
Old 09-09-20, 02:50 PM
jorell

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I'll be able to follow this - thanks!

Originally Posted by 2seven0
I don't have a Strava account so can't post a map. Bear in mind my wife & I both work so the routes we take may be crowded on weekday commute times. That said I assume you're familiar with the area ie. which roads are bike-friendly. If you're not sure I suggest driving them first to recon.
The hill up Gilbert/Idaho between Malvern & Imperial is nice you could do a repeat on it same with Euclid. I wouldn't ride the short stretch of Imperial on a crowded morning the 3rd lane is narrow.
We make our way to Brea Cyn Road where Brea Blvd/St. College intersects Central Ave. (La Habra Blvd.). Up Brea Cyn to Pathfinder. Left over the 57 fwy. up & around westward till it ends at Harbor. South on Harbor then a quick right on Fullerton Rd. Up the hill then right on East Rd. It will end at Hacienda Rd. Left a few hundred yards downhill then right on West Rd. Becomes Santa Gertrudes at Whittier Blvd.
Hope this helps!
West
Old 09-09-20, 07:07 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

30-spot dtown and metro san diego. aq not the best so didn't go hard-at all. i rarely do anyway.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-11-20, 02:49 PM
2seven0

Santiago Cyn. Road early this morning. Passed one (1) cyclist heading NW until the downhill almost to Cook's when a handfew were just starting the climb. Sun came up a foreboding hazy orange. Hardly any smoky smell I guess due to the SSE wind early. Holy deep-freeze Batman needed my arm warmers early on too!
West
Old 09-12-20, 04:41 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I decided to try out my new Pendleton bike pass today. I went in at main gate and rode to the gate at the south end of San Onofre. It was a nice ride with a good mix of rolling terrain. The traffic on Pendleton seems more respectful than the people I encounter when I ride south. No horns, screaming, or close passes.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 09-13-20, 03:05 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by adamhenry
I decided to try out my new Pendleton bike pass today. I went in at main gate and rode to the gate at the south end of San Onofre. It was a nice ride with a good mix of rolling terrain. The traffic on Pendleton seems more respectful than the people I encounter when I ride south. No horns, screaming, or close passes.
i've found, neading northbound, traffic thins out once past the houses/school on your left and, heading southbound, picks up at the school/houses.
the southernmost, roughly two miles are the busiest and the bridge/stretch across the santa margarita river is the skinniest section. special care
negotiating the very southern end of the base regardless of direction because of the freeway offramps. the pavement in the tunnel under the 5 freeway isn't the best either-especially westbound.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-14-20 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 10:11 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

a little 20-spot from carlsbad to oceanside and to camp pendleton to pick up the yearly cyclist pass. entered the base just to make sure the new pass worked and turned around
to head back south after about a mile. that oceanside/carlsbad looked to have the best air quality of anyplace < 80 degrees today in san diego county so it was essentially a two-fer.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-14-20 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 04:52 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
A few laps around Westlake lake and assorted roads in our area. Still smokey so I bagged the longer ride for a shorter one. NWS says by Saturday, we should see blue sky. If so, I'll be looking for a Piuma climb. Total of 23 miles today.
Old 09-18-20, 05:25 PM
btppberk

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Was enjoying a fast ride around Fiesta island last night when a large peloton blew threw their yield sign and forced us to yield. What an obnoxious group!
Likes For btppberk:
Old 09-18-20, 05:48 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Rode SART this morning -for the first time- from San Bernardino to Riverside/Corona and back. Pretty cool little trail and not a half-bad workout, especially with headwinds.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 09-20-20, 12:36 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
First time on a bike in two weeks and I sure was sluggish. Good air quality and dozens of mtn bikers and road cyclists out and about in Turnbull Cyn. Managed a slow 38 miles and 5K of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34202236
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-20-20, 11:25 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts
Made 25 flat miles today, and I remember when one water bottle used to get me through 25 miles on my way to another 75.
Pretty discouraged. Trying to burn off my quarantine-fifteen, and it seems like everyone's gone E-bike anymore.
Some wankstain rolled-coal on me on PCH, but I caught him at the stoplight, got a picture of his license plate and reported him to CARB-San Diego.
Between the heat & humidity of late, the unwanted weight, the struggle to find any fitness, and now this negative distraction,

I'm far from giving up, but I really miss not having to struggle to find the positive aspects of riding.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 09-21-20, 06:56 AM
2seven0

Wife & I went up to Big Bear since we still had our resort reservations for the postponed now cancelled Tour. The El Dorado fire & closure of the 38 would have caused major problems anyway. The smoke wasn't bad and varied along with the wind direction. Weather was beautiful & we found a few new climbs in & around town. Traffic was way down compared to the last time we were up in August.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 09-21-20, 10:33 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

no place special...just the local metro san diego area. 50 miles at a relatively low intensity. lower humidity along with temps finally in the mid 70's and the
air quality hovering in the upper 60's/low 70's made it the nicest day in quite some time. just didn't want to go home/back inside.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-21-20, 11:12 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Made 25 flat miles today, and I remember when one water bottle used to get me through 25 miles on my way to another 75.
Pretty discouraged. Trying to burn off my quarantine-fifteen, and it seems like everyone's gone E-bike anymore.
Some wankstain rolled-coal on me on PCH, but I caught him at the stoplight, got a picture of his license plate and reported him to CARB-San Diego.
Between the heat & humidity of late, the unwanted weight, the struggle to find any fitness, and now this negative distraction,

I'm far from giving up, but I really miss not having to struggle to find the positive aspects of riding.
you'll be good. best time of the year to ride in socal is upon us. last week of sept > second week of november. nothing a good 50 mile cuyamaca/laguna triangle ride
or a mesa grande/east palomar grade/wynola rd/farmer rd foray won't cure. it's almost better rolling through those when out of shape because you get to soak
up the area/scenery a little more as a slowpoke.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-21-20 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 11:46 AM
2seven0

Originally Posted by calamarichris

The positive aspect is you are alive and healthy enough to ride! We only have a finite number of sunrises each one is a blessing enjoy them while you can!
Best way to deal with idiots as you described is to laugh at them for they are the miserable ones not you- happy people aren't usually jerks to the world.
Hope I'm not coming off as harsh that's not my intent.
BTW Carlsbad is a pretty nice place to live I surf once in a while with a buddy of mine who lives down there.
West
Old 09-27-20, 03:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Rolled out the door to ride the Whittier Hills and La Habra Heights Loop. Heavy traffic of roadies and MTB'ers on Turnbull Cyn, makes sense since Hwy 39 and I think GMR/GRR are closed to all. Sought some solitude and the East-West corridor filled the bill. 56 miles and 6200 feet of climb on a cloudy then sunny morning.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34274374
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-27-20, 08:26 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Rode on the 5 freeway today for fun. Picture of my buddy:
Likes For Elvo:
Old 09-29-20, 10:45 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

c-note after taking the train from san diego up to san juan capistrano and riding back. some toodling around san clemente. really coolish/overcast/foggy
most of the day after expecting the worst of the heat monstah. 99 of 105 miles low-key and uneventful. but oh, those last miles...

https://www.strava.com/activities/4130560590
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-29-20, 11:00 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
c-note after taking the train from san diego up to san juan capistrano and riding back. some toodling around san clemente. really coolish/overcast/foggy
most of the day after expecting the worst of the heat monstah. 99 of 105 miles low-key and uneventful. but oh, those last miles...

https://www.strava.com/activities/4130560590
Next time, let me know in advance and smile at the camera. I visit this channel for fun from time to time. lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.