Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chorus brake levers in non-aero configuration

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chorus brake levers in non-aero configuration

Old 12-17-18, 04:06 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince Hoffmann

Thanks for all of your input everyone. I believe this brake lever was never made to be used in any configuration other than aero. Since I've never found any extra parts intended to lock the barrel in one position, I made my own from a piece of birch wood. The wood fits very tight but still allows the barrel to rotate when the lever is pulled.

Pretty good solve.
Old 12-17-18, 04:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
This thread is timely for me. I have a set of Chorus levers exactly like yours @Vince Hoffmann.

I was intending to use them on my Masi so that the bike could be ridden in Eroica-type events. The usual configuration will be Chorus 10s shifter/brakes. My plan was to fit these, cut the cables and housings to length, and then put them aside. I'll have to re-wrap the bars to install them, but that only takes a few minutes. Adding a set of VO DT shifters, which don't require any housing, just cable, it's ready to go.

EDIT: Maybe filing a radius in the top of the slot at the front would provide a way to more easily keep the barrel at the front. There is plenty of metal there, so it shouldn't cause any weakness.

I might look into 3D printing a spacer to use in these levers, radiused at the front for the barrel. Maybe I should just build it without shifter/brakes from the start and leave it with brakes and DT shifters. I could sell the Chorus shifter/brakes easily. Something to consider...
Originally Posted by speedevil
Not sure about shifting 10s Chorus with DT shifters, but after some practice to get the feel of it, I should be reasonably OK with it.
You could also use some real 10sp indexed Campy downtube shifters. There are people on BF who sell them.
Classy look, old-school technique, modern precision. Makes you look down the road a bit, anticipate. No chicken winging.

And you know where to unload the Ergos….

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-17-18 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 05:36 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Can I just jump in with some inane questions about Chorus brake levers?

The exploded diagram of the Record version shows a BL-RE006 return spring, but there isn’t one on my Chorus levers, although Velobase seems to think there should be. Is this correct or am I missing a part?

How does that quick release pin work? I can’t see how it ‘releases’ as it hits the lever body in every position.
Old 04-26-19, 07:17 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Uhmmm..... I believe that hole on the front of the lever is for accss to the handlebar bar clamp allen headed bolt, when installing or removing the lever. I guess it will work to thread in the cable from the front too, but I never thought of doing that yet.
I don't think so, most cable stops are wider than the cutout in the lever. Press the lever against the handlebars and thread it in from the top.
Old 04-27-19, 03:02 AM
pbekkerh
Likes special bikes

Bikes: Solio 1910, Colnago Sprint 1986, Nehan TT 1989, Bianchi Mercatone Uno 1999, Boreas Aër Roadbike 2003, Canondale six13 2004, Ghost SE7000 MTB 2009, Bike Friday Tikit Hyperfold 2011, PlanetX Excocet II 2014 White Fatbike 2021,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
@speedevil did you do the 3D printing? Where is the file available? I have my own printer.
Old 04-27-19, 05:46 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
@pbekkerh, I didn't pursue the 3D printing, as I traded the levers for other components. I decided to use Campy brifters on my Masi. I picked up a 1983 Pinarello that will be my Eroica-style bike, should I ever need such a machine.
Old 04-27-19, 09:05 AM
pbekkerh
Likes special bikes

Bikes: Solio 1910, Colnago Sprint 1986, Nehan TT 1989, Bianchi Mercatone Uno 1999, Boreas Aër Roadbike 2003, Canondale six13 2004, Ghost SE7000 MTB 2009, Bike Friday Tikit Hyperfold 2011, PlanetX Excocet II 2014 White Fatbike 2021,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Here are my eroica bikes

Colnago Sprint with Campagnolo Athena

Solio Sport 1910 replica
Old 04-27-19, 09:34 AM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pbekkerh

Solio Sport 1910 replica
Nice!
Old 09-17-20, 01:08 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 758 Posts
Reviving an old thread. @verktyg wrote:

Originally Posted by verktyg
Parts breakdown 1988 Chorus Levers:

I have a set of these levers I plan to use with a set of monoplaner brakes (no qr at the brake, hence these levers). As I understand it, to run them non-aero, I need to insert the little #12 guide cable plate (pn 7283057) into the slots in the levers. Is it just the small amount of resting tension in the cables which keeps them in place?
Old 09-17-20, 01:52 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Campy Brake Lever Aero Guide

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Reviving an old thread. @verktyg wrote:

I have a set of these levers I plan to use with a set of monoplaner brakes (no qr at the brake, hence these levers). As I understand it, to run them non-aero, I need to insert the little #12 guide cable plate (pn 7283057) into the slots in the levers. Is it just the small amount of resting tension in the cables which keeps them in place?
Skip,

The part # 12 is required for aero cabling not for non aero. It's used to run the cable down towards the clamp and out the bottom.

You may need to use needle nose pliers to get them out or into the lever. Some hoods had brake cable holes in them. The gray plastic plugs are used to fill those holes when going aero.

There were 2 versions of those pieces, depending on the model of the levers.

You may need to cut a hole in the rubber hood to use the levers non aero.

I personally hate aero cabling... It's a pain to set up and if you want to move the levers on the bars such as to cant them in or out a little, you almost have to retape them. All part of the short lived marketoit driven fantasy of the whole aero fad.

verktyg retrogrouch

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-17-20 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 02:21 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Skip,

The part # 12 is required for aero cabling not for non aero....

I personally hate aero cabling... It's a pain to set up and if you want to move the levers on the bars such as to cant them in or out a little, you almost have to retape them. All part of the short lived marketoit driven fantasy of the whole aero fad.
Thanks @verktyg. Brain freeze on my part. I did mean "aero." I have/had the second package you showed (grooved guide, blue lettering on the package. It came with the levers. The little bits seemed to slide in easily enough, and my initial setup suggests they are doing what they should. I have the two-way hoods as well. They came with plugs installed (so the plugs in the package are just spares). When I looked at the front brake after setting it up, I thought, "Oh, no! I cut the housing too short!" Then I remembered I'm working with monoplaner calipers (Veloce, as it turns out - levers (Athena?) and calipers were acquired in separate transactions), so the cable runs diagonally across the head tube to reach the calipers. I think the calipers are pretty, but it looks pretty weird to my eye to not have the cable housing run parallel to the head tube.

As for aero being a fad, I think it's pretty much here to stay in the form of brifters, yes? I agree that redoing things in any way is going to be a PITA. This is just a provisional build on a Serotta. If it turns out to be a keeper, I'll have the rear triangle spread to 126 then set it up with a Dura-Ace 7400 group (no choice on the aero/non-aero thing).
Old 09-17-20, 06:36 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Campy Aero Brake Levers

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Thanks @verktyg. Brain freeze on my part. I did mean "aero." I have/had the second package you showed (grooved guide, blue lettering on the package. It came with the levers. The little bits seemed to slide in easily enough, and my initial setup suggests they are doing what they should. I have the two-way hoods as well. They came with plugs installed (so the plugs in the package are just spares). When I looked at the front brake after setting it up, I thought, "Oh, no! I cut the housing too short!" Then I remembered I'm working with monoplaner calipers (Veloce, as it turns out - levers (Athena?) and calipers were acquired in separate transactions), so the cable runs diagonally across the head tube to reach the calipers. I think the calipers are pretty, but it looks pretty weird to my eye to not have the cable housing run parallel to the head tube.

As for aero being a fad, I think it's pretty much here to stay in the form of brifters, yes? I agree that redoing things in any way is going to be a PITA. This is just a provisional build on a Serotta. If it turns out to be a keeper, I'll have the rear triangle spread to 126 then set it up with a Dura-Ace 7400 group (no choice on the aero/non-aero thing).
Skip,

I bought a 1988 Bianchi Giro on eBay in 2010. It had less than 100 miles on it and came with a last generation 1987 Campy Nuovo Victory gruppo. The brake levers appear to be 1986 C-Record that are convertible.

eBay photos

When I overhauled the bike after I got it, I changed the cables back to non-aero... I get better reception!

I have 2 versions of Monoplaner brakes. The ones with the square brake blocks are circa 1988 Chorus. The rounded pads are the 1992 version calipers. I like the way they look plus they stop as well as dual pivot brakes.

On my early 80's Gios. These are the earlier version but have rounded pads.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-17-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 10:17 PM
Vince Hoffmann

Bikes: Giant Talon, Pinarello Catena Lusso, Pinarello Rahza K, Pinarello Dogma F8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
All of you folks are awesome! I've been running with my birch wood-plugged brake levers for over 2 years with no problems. I'm glad my garage fix to make aero into non-aero brakes gave a few of you some ideas
Here's a pic of my bike after a 40 mile ride 2 days ago... and yes, the brakes are still working perfectly

Old 09-21-20, 04:37 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Campag also had aero levers in the CDA group as well.