Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is the rim bent?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is the rim bent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 09:13 AM
Stormy85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Is the rim bent?

Hi guys

I need some advice since I am about to go crazy.
I bought a brand new DT Swiss R460 rim for my first wheel build project. I have laced it to a DT Swiss 350 straight pull 24h rear hub. I am using a Park Tool Tension Meter to get the tension right but I seem to have an issue with the rim.
If i tension the wheel to spec (according to DT Swiss) and end up within 10% variance in the Park Tool tension app i have a large high/low spot. I wrote both because I am not to sure if its actually a high or low spot because the hop is approx 1.3mm across half the rim. As I have read the radial hop should be within 0.5 for a somewhat good round true which clearly is not the case.
If I try to reduce the hop I end up with tension all over the place and quite large differences in terms of the Park Tool measurements (NDS: 10,5-16/ DS: 17-22).

This is my first time truing a wheel but am I perhaps not entirely wrong when I assume that the rim might be bent? Any advice?
Old 09-19-20, 09:38 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
If it's opposite of the valve hole, it's the rim joint.
Sometimes you simply have a small flat spot that's best to leave alone and not screw with the tension.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-19-20, 01:17 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Get another rim i just had an older wheel with a hop bigger than that but drove me crazy. For the price of a 460 i would get a new one.
Old 09-19-20, 02:29 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Tell us about your spoke tensioning process.

My process is to start by sticking my thumb nail into the last spoke thread and tighten it to that point. From that point on I count turns as I tighten each spoke the same amount. My idea is to keep the rum round by bringing the tension up slowly and evenly. I once built a tandem wheel that way that needed no truing whatsoever once I got it up to final tension.
Old 09-19-20, 07:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
What size tire and pressure will you be running? Some tires have more then a 1.3mm run out in real mounted up life. Andy
Old 09-21-20, 12:20 PM
Stormy85

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hi guys

So dont ask me how but I loosened the tension and hen started to unify the tension. From that point on the large hop was pretty much gone. Them rim is now almost completely round. Still has a smidge but i would say its within 0.5mm.
i guess it helped to ventilate for a second and then refocus 😂😂
i am running 25mm ultra sport at 90psi. Went for the first ride today and it held up pretty well. A bit flexy i would say in comparison to my previous 32h.
the only sad part is that my nipples are now almost silver again from the constant tightening/loosening.
i will check the tension after a few more miles.
Old 09-21-20, 01:11 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You beat me to my suggestion to detension and worry more about the radial true first.