Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with Schwinn Sierra DS Sport seat post suspension

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-24-20, 12:23 PM
Rickrod719

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have this Schwinn Sierra DS Sport bike with a huge seat post suspension system that I simply do not understand it's workings. The seat post twists about 1/4" from side to side even though the clamp is tightened. I cannot get the post to stop twisting. There are several bolts along the side of the seat post tube that I thought would tighten on the seat post, however they do nothing that I can tell. Does anyone how that seat post can be tightened to stop the twisting?
Old 09-24-20, 10:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Rickrod719- This is typical of many suspended seat posts, the sliding shafts need plastic bushings and a bit of slop to "function/slide". Some more, some less. 1/4" of saddle nose play is actually less the many.

There's usually a collar that can tighten down onto the plastic bushing and snug it up, a bit, for a while. Since most suspension posts are made to a price point, and not a performance level, the "expected life" is not long for a frequent rider.

There have been exceptions to this but they generally cost many times the $30 "repair grade" post does. SunTour's NCX, CaneCreek's Thustbuster series and Redfit Sports are current examples of pivoting link designs as example.

For the $20 to get a solid post from your LBS and see how that works is a possible idea. Andy
Old 09-25-20, 11:25 AM
Rickrod719

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andy: thank you for the very detailed reply. Much appreciated.