Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old tools doing timeless work

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old tools doing timeless work

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 03:23 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

Recent purchase

They aren't in use, but I've been asked recently when i wanted to adjust a Raleigh headset on a 1973 Supercourse and my 12" adjustable wrench couldn't open wide enough for the 42mm flats, nor the 43mm flats on the DS cone on the one piece crank on the Schwinn 3 speed. Thanks to the Schwinn, I also needed a small adjustable wrench to handle flats (because finding a 15mm and 9/16" combination wrench is a tall order, or junk). I saw a posting on the marketplace for a bunch of wrenches for $15, so I made a drive.
From top to bottom:
  • a Barnes '98 adjustable bicycle wrench with much of the nickel plate gone on one side.
  • A no name F type wrench, cheap and soft but with a wide capacity
  • An L. Coes patent adjustable wrench, roughly used, with a nice, intact wood handle
  • A Bemis & Call 1906 pattern adjustable wrench, roughly used
  • Two newer pipe wrenches, though the smaller trimo wrench is the smallest pipe wrench I've ever seen.
These soaked in Evapo-rust to get off the scale. I've hammered the mushrooming on the adjustable wrench heads back, because the steel is harder than my files. I'll be cleaning and stabilizing these, then placing them into service as needed.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-25-20, 03:34 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
When a I graduated college in (cough) 1986 my Dad gave me a set of craftsman tools the ones below get used on the regular in tinkering on bikes.

One of my first purchases after getting my first programming job after community college was one of those 100-ish-piece Craftsman tool sets, about the same "vintage" as these. I still have most of them, or their warranty replacements. Sigh, I guess they're "old" tools now.

Sadly, I broke the open end of a 15mm combo just like yours, on a recalcitrant pedal. I didn't have a Park pedal wrench yet at the time, and I should have waited. Yeah, the warranty still applies, but the replacement won't say USA.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 09-25-20, 04:17 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Some VAR goodness. Not sure how old the actual tools are, but the designs have been around a while.The headset press came from a bike shop that was have a "clean out the basement and attic" sale. The pin spanner and the headset wrench came from eBay. And yes, there are pins in the pin spanner - they are on the underside so I could show the "13 V.A.R." and was too distracted or lazy to put them where they could be seen.

Old 09-25-20, 04:51 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Snack time

jeez.... I haven't thought about that in a long time!
I used it all the time when doing avionics work on A-4 Skyhawks in the Marines....

I seem to recall that the springs in the knife had a tendency to break, though. Maybe that was only if you used it 8 hours a day?
The aircraft had a lot of fasteners that only required a quarter-turn to open or close, so the screwdriver/bottle-opener got a lot of work. The knife got a lot of use when stripping wire insulation or cutting zip-ties to length.

thanks for the little memory jog!

Steve in Peoria, but used to be at MCAS Yuma for a few years
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-25-20, 06:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam

Recent purchase

They aren't in use, but I've been asked recently when i wanted to adjust a Raleigh headset on a 1973 Supercourse and my 12" adjustable wrench couldn't open wide enough for the 42mm flats, nor the 43mm flats on the DS cone on the one piece crank on the Schwinn 3 speed. Thanks to the Schwinn, I also needed a small adjustable wrench to handle flats (because finding a 15mm and 9/16" combination wrench is a tall order, or junk). I saw a posting on the marketplace for a bunch of wrenches for $15, so I made a drive.
From top to bottom:
  • a Barnes '98 adjustable bicycle wrench with much of the nickel plate gone on one side.
  • A no name F type wrench, cheap and soft but with a wide capacity
  • An L. Coes patent adjustable wrench, roughly used, with a nice, intact wood handle
  • A Bemis & Call 1906 pattern adjustable wrench, roughly used
  • Two newer pipe wrenches, though the smaller trimo wrench is the smallest pipe wrench I've ever seen.
These soaked in Evapo-rust to get off the scale. I've hammered the mushrooming on the adjustable wrench heads back, because the steel is harder than my files. I'll be cleaning and stabilizing these, then placing them into service as needed.
So cool.

This why old tools, bikes, parts, bits, pieces and much else can be so valuable.

They take neglect, abuse, brutal long term day to day use and can keep going, sometimes forever.

The ability to have, get and make them do so is priceless as it translates to so many other difficult tasks that can kill a project with out the mindset.

Nothing better than old stuff ready to do battle again, still, bring it on.
Old 09-25-20, 06:07 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@steelbikeguy, you are certainly welcome, and thanks for your service. Great pic!
Old 09-26-20, 07:58 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Not a bike tool but the Stanley 9 1/5 block plane my dad gave me a long time ago. Years later gave me Craftsman jack plane. Then a really sweet Lie-Nielsen 102 low angle block plane. Bought a Lie Nielsen rabbit plane. Those 4 planes are really useful! Everything from serious wood removal to finessing oak end grain.

And funny story re: the 9 1/2. My dad gave my younger brother a Craftsman 9 1/2. On evening, we took our planes apart and compared them. A few parts were different; not in any manner that mattered. All the key parts were not only identical, they were cut on the same machines. Same scratches. Now, over 4 decades later, we both still have ours and still use them.
Sears/Craftsman contracted out most of their tools back when. Metal working lathes, milling machines and shapers branded Craftsman were made by Atlas, etc.
Craftsman hand planes and block planes were made by a few manufacturers over the years. Stanley, etc. I have an old Craftsman block plane
that was made by Sargent.
Ah...old tools. Don't get me started.

Likes For rootboy:
Old 09-26-20, 03:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
rootboy

Have a grade school buddy that worked at Proto tool here in Milwaukie OR years ago.

He got in good with the chroming guys and had some things done that were the best I've ever seen, good prep, tool chrome and the some tweaking from the guys pulling the levers came out with the toughest by far, best looking chrome and it was Gratis.

Unfortunately he witnessed a horrible accident in the stockroom when a bundle of barstock came loose from the crane and wasn't there very long.
Old 09-26-20, 09:08 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts

I had the same knife when I was 15, it got taken away from me when I got arrested for carving my name in a CTA bus....

Originally Posted by BFisher
Snack time

Old 09-27-20, 10:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
This was my Dad's favorite knife. Given to him by a Finnish PhD student of his:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hackman1.jpg (87.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg
Hackman2.jpg (78.4 KB, 107 views)
Old 09-27-20, 01:20 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@branko_76, Damn teenagers!

When I was about 10 or 11 years old my grandfather gave me a pocket knife just like the one I posted. He got it in the Navy. Unfortunately I lost it. Bummed out big time!
Fast forward to a couple years ago, my wife and I saw one at an antique shop and I told her the tale. She went back and got it for me as a gift.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-29-20, 10:08 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Every tool tool tels a story: Here's a few that talk to me each time I reach for them. I have a lot others as I'm quite fond of old tools. Often they are better quality than what I can buy today. And the tools today have no stories yet.....

Clockwise from the top:

a) a spokeshave from my Grandfather. He was a US Treasury agent who probably knew Elliot Ness. He stuck with it for his career, Ness did not. Yes, I know how to sharpen and use a spokeshave.
b) A very nice old SnapOn 1/4" drive found in a house clean out. Now a standing member of my bike tool kit.
c) Utica Tool side cutters from my Father's work bench.
d) German made metric open end wrench. This was also from my Father's bench. The ONLY metric too he had and I've often wondered why he had it and where he got it. He probably never worked on a metric fastener. I'm always reminded of my Dad when I use these two.
e) Nice old Crescent wrench, an actual Crescent vs what we now generically call all of these adjustables. I almost lost this recently. I forgot a valuable lesson from working Nuclear plants and did not tether this to my arm when working on my well. Yup, I dropped it down the well. But it landed on a wee ledge about 5 feet down. I creeped back to the shop to get one of my magnetic grabber tools, and a tether line, and carefully, slowly, creepily snagged this tool and brought it back up. What luck. Another story...
Old 09-29-20, 11:06 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Most my taps and dies are inherited. This Greenfield is the thing I tend to use the most.

Old 09-29-20, 11:34 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Love Skyhawks!

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
jeez.... I haven't thought about that in a long time!
I used it all the time when doing avionics work on A-4 Skyhawks in the Marines....

I seem to recall that the springs in the knife had a tendency to break, though. Maybe that was only if you used it 8 hours a day?
The aircraft had a lot of fasteners that only required a quarter-turn to open or close, so the screwdriver/bottle-opener got a lot of work. The knife got a lot of use when stripping wire insulation or cutting zip-ties to length.

thanks for the little memory jog!

Steve in Peoria, but used to be at MCAS Yuma for a few years
Off topic but I worked on A-4's in the 70's at Miramar, Fightertown USA. VC-7, we were Topgun's sister squadron. One of our birds got reassigned to the Blue Angles.

and to get it back on track, I have a set of 1/4" drive socket set I bought at the PX that I still use.

Last edited by Jmpierce; 09-29-20 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 12:59 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce
Off topic but I worked on A-4's in the 70's at Miramar, Fightertown USA. VC-7, we were Topgun's sister squadron. One of our birds got reassigned to the Blue Angles.
pretty cool!
I kinda miss working on A-4's.
The F-5's must have been somewhat similar.. i.e. it's a tiny airplane and all the stuff is crammed into inaccessible corners of the fuselage.
... but the F-5's were much sleeker and sexier! I got a few photos of some Top Gun (a.k.a. Naval Fighter Weapons School) F-5's when they stopped in at Yuma....

buno 160964

that blue camo paint scheme was sooo cool!

digging through my boxes of crap, I realized that I do still have my stainless pocket knife, along with the belt sheath that one of my seat shop buddies made for me. The belt sheath includes a velcro loop to hold my "ears" (i.e. hearing protection) and a pen (used for filling out maintenance forms and other mundane purposes).

it turns out that the springs aren't broken, but are pretty weak. For some reason, I also have problems with weak or broken springs in my SunTour derailleurs.

Like other tools at that time, it had FOD tape on it. "FOD" stands for Foreign Object Damage or Foreign Objects or Debris. This is a term for anything that gets sucked into a jet engine, or any damage caused by such an object. The tape is reflective, making it easier to find a tool that was dropped or misplaced.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: