Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Required spacer above stem - Trek Domane

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 02:44 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts

In August I purchased a 2020 Trek Domane SL6.

When I brought it home, I noticed a 3mm spacer above the stem and the stem was angled down (-7 degrees). I wanted to flip the stem wanting a higher handlebar (neck issue), and to add a bit more, I wanted to place that 3mm spacer below the stem for a little extra height. I emailed the owner of the bike shop asking why the spacer was above the stem and if it would be ok to put this spacer under the stem. He said yes, no problem and "I think the tech just set it up the way they like it,..." I do understand I can buy a shorter stem with more rise, but I'm merely starting with this one (100mm at 7 degrees) to see how I feel.

A few weeks later I brought the bike in for an unrelated issue and when I got the bike back, the mechanic (not owner) stated that the 3mm spacer MUST to be above the stem. Something about the ISO speed coupler in the front fork.

Not that I don't trust him, but I wanted to see what the Domane Service Manual stated about it and how the ISO speed coupler is affected It's not in that service manual that I can find. But notice the photo on the Table of Contents page.....there's a spacer above the stem.
https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/Tr...ual_USEN_3.pdf

I'm wondering if other Domane owners have that same spacer above the stem? If yes, were you told why? If the spacer isn't there, should it be?
Old 09-27-20, 06:06 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
If the fork has a carbon steerer, then yes you need a spacer above stem. Additionally make sure the compression plug is centered in the stem to support the clamping force.
Old 09-27-20, 06:23 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
If the fork has a carbon steerer, then yes you need a spacer above stem. Additionally make sure the compression plug is centered in the stem to support the clamping force.
I see, well thank you, I did not know that. Yes, the Domane does have a carbon steerer. My Cervelo RS has a carbon steerer but no spacer above the stem, was never installed with one and is from the same bike shop.
Old 09-27-20, 06:51 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The industry learns about stuff after bad things happen enough, like steerer tops cracking under the compression the stem's pinch bolts being too close to the steerer end. Some companies/shops/mechanics are more proactive about this type of thing then others are. Andy
Old 09-27-20, 08:23 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
In August I purchased a 2020 Trek Domane SL6.

When I brought it home, I noticed a 3mm spacer above the stem and the stem was angled down (-7 degrees). I wanted to flip the stem wanting a higher handlebar (neck issue), and to add a bit more, I wanted to place that 3mm spacer below the stem for a little extra height. I emailed the owner of the bike shop asking why the spacer was above the stem and if it would be ok to put this spacer under the stem. He said yes, no problem and "I think the tech just set it up the way they like it,..." I do understand I can buy a shorter stem with more rise, but I'm merely starting with this one (100mm at 7 degrees) to see how I feel.

A few weeks later I brought the bike in for an unrelated issue and when I got the bike back, the mechanic (not owner) stated that the 3mm spacer MUST to be above the stem. Something about the ISO speed coupler in the front fork.

Not that I don't trust him, but I wanted to see what the Domane Service Manual stated about it and how the ISO speed coupler is affected It's not in that service manual that I can find. But notice the photo on the Table of Contents page.....there's a spacer above the stem.
https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/Tr...ual_USEN_3.pdf

I'm wondering if other Domane owners have that same spacer above the stem? If yes, were you told why? If the spacer isn't there, should it be?
Nothing to do with Isospeed coupler. If the steerer is carbon, put a spacer on top unless the manufacturer says otherwise (which I doubt).

Otherwise, your steerer may crack, and you don't want that to happen.