Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Ebay components

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano Ebay components

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 07:10 PM
xrazer

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano Ebay components

I started to shop for a drivetrain upgrade and many Shimano parts are currently out of stock almost everywhere. Ebay has some groupsets with good pricing but I am skeptical if they are real factory parts or seconds. Many ship from China or Hong Kong. Beside even if Ebay says item location in in the US they often ship from overseas. It is even questionable if they come in original packaging.

So I am looking for experiences with Ebay stuff. Good and bad.
Old 09-25-20, 07:54 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I've purchased a few Shimano parts from Hong Kong and Taiwan sellers on Ebay and no problems so far. Mostly replacing hard to find pieces. But...there are a few people here that have clearly received or suspected they got counterfeit, inferior parts. It's a little bit of a crapshoot. Look at their feedback on ebay and buy from longtime, high sales sellers and you'll probably be OK. There are also US sellers that sell the same fake parts so always check their feedback.
Old 09-25-20, 08:05 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Most store bikes are assembled in China so it’s not surprising that they have a lot of group sets and components on hand.
Ive bought a ton of bike parts from EBay and I’ve never come across any counterfeits. The only issue you’ll encounter is the two month long shipping time from China due to our Covid disaster.

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 09-25-20 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 09-25-20, 08:10 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Most of the stuff out of Taiwan seems to be OK, often OEM packaging, just in plastic shipping bags.
Old 09-25-20, 08:14 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
I've purchased several Ultegra Di2 Groupsets as well as various cranksets, derailleurs, shifters etc from E-Bay.and I've never had an issue receiving non-genuine Shimano products. Then again, I never buy any critical pars from China and I always research the sellers (check their actual web stores as well as verify physical addresses etc) before I buy....
Old 09-25-20, 08:20 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 817 Posts
I bought a 105 7000 groupset earlier this year. It came from Taiwan, well wrapped in soft foam type material, then in plastic wrap, then nicely packaged in a sturdy cardboard box. It was in pristine condition, no scratches or mars of any kind. It was the best price for that groupset with having the option of which cassette, crankset arm length, rings and short or long cage derailleur. It was $10 more for the long cage. Price was $465 and free shipping. It arrived ahead of the projected time. Early this week, I saw the same groupset/options from the same company, same price for the set, but $85 for shipping.
Old 09-27-20, 01:20 PM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I bought a 105 7000 groupset earlier this year. It came from Taiwan, well wrapped in soft foam type material, then in plastic wrap, then nicely packaged in a sturdy cardboard box. It was in pristine condition, no scratches or mars of any kind. It was the best price for that groupset with having the option of which cassette, crankset arm length, rings and short or long cage derailleur. It was $10 more for the long cage. Price was $465 and free shipping. It arrived ahead of the projected time. Early this week, I saw the same groupset/options from the same company, same price for the set, but $85 for shipping.
Which company is this?
Old 09-27-20, 02:34 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 817 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...item1ccc55eb9e

riding_is_life. Copy and post the link and it works. I clicked on the same set up I purchased, price comes up $549.99 and 59.99 shipping. I brought up my purchase history, purchased back in Feb. and it was 459.99 including shipping.
170mm, 50/34, 11-32 and GS derailleur.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-27-20, 04:18 PM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...item1ccc55eb9e

riding_is_life. Copy and post the link and it works. I clicked on the same set up I purchased, price comes up $549.99 and 59.99 shipping. I brought up my purchase history, purchased back in Feb. and it was 459.99 including shipping.
170mm, 50/34, 11-32 and GS derailleur.
Thanks!
Old 09-27-20, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
We sell genuine Sharmano parts. If you like the Dure-ace or Utegra we also have the 104 finest quality for you. 100% Real Legit Part. L@@K . We sell direct from Sharmano in Japen for best of quality.

When my Ultegra Di2 front mech exploded while leaving for a big multi day ride, I was damn sure glad I had legit Shimano parts bought from a authorized dealer. They replaced it without much fuss and I was riding that bike again within a week or so. It would have been expensive even if I was buying something possibly even real from China from eBay because no support from them. Granted it sucked breaking a derailleur before a big ride and I don't recommend it to anyone but knowing you are supported is a good feeling.
Old 09-28-20, 06:07 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
In a factory assembling thousands of bike I'm sure a few parts get "lost" in the shuffle, or are purposely over-ordered to allow for side sales. It is likely that $50 derailleur costs them $2 in bulk.