Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Study Says High Cadence of Little Value to Amateurs

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Study Says High Cadence of Little Value to Amateurs

Old 09-27-20, 02:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
One thing I can add---whether or not high cadence works best for non-riders is of no concern to me because I am not a non-rider.

I have worked at improving my pedaling technique, which helps no matter what cadence I use---and anyone who works to improve pedaling technique has to be Not a novice rider--you have to practice by riding.

For experienced riders ... we know form watching pros that each uses different techniques. As far as I can recall, people talked about Jan Ulrich grinding huge gears up mountains while Lance Armstrong and his chemical friends rode extremely high cadence. I have heard similar remarks made by commentators about many other riders--Chris Froome was known for spinning small gears, for instance.

I find that it takes different muscles to do an up-and-down mash versus a controlled spin. I also find on different days different techniques in different amounts work better.

Studies like this one as I said above, prove only what the study set out to prove---but don't directly correspond to any real-world situations.

Is it "science"? Yup. Is it useful? If "useful" includes cranking up a lot of folks on cycling fora .......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-27-20, 03:06 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Optimal cadences, like drop bars, are an illusion for most.

Otto
Optimal cadence is an illusion for me but my drop bars are definitely real.
Old 09-27-20, 03:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10394 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What kind of chain lube do people who don't wave use?
Lemme check......

.....It's an old bottle of Finish Line.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-27-20, 03:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by guy153
Agree with everyone who said efficiency isn't the point. Nobody cares how many miles per banana you get. It's more about not getting tired as soon.

The other thing it's easy to overlook is that pros aren't really "spinning" the way we are. They're smashing the pedals only also doing it really fast. Grinding and spinning at the same time.
GRINDING, and SPINNING......hmmmmmmm. Seems like we need one word for that.. I know!
GRINNING!!!!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-27-20, 03:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not qualified to comment on the scientific merit, but I will note that it apparently took six scientists to do this research on nine subjects.
Originally Posted by Koyote
That’s how you know it was written by a whole bunch of assistant professors who need publications in order to get tenure.
This is probably the most accurate take. Some senior who worked part time as an assistant to some professor decided to turn his term paper into a "published paper" and got some friends to sign on. "If I were a real scientist, how would I create an experiment? What do you guys think? Pass me the bong. Hey, Joe, you still have that old bicycle?"
Old 09-27-20, 03:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
This is probably the most accurate take. Some senior who worked part time as an assistant to some professor decided to turn his term paper into a "published paper" and got some friends to sign on. "If I were a real scientist, how would I create an experiment? What do you guys think? Pass me the bong. Hey, Joe, you still have that old bicycle?"
Nah. A couple of post docs had an idea over a beer or two. That's 3 (2 post docs + lab head). They had 2 grad students conduct the experiment. That's 2 more. And there was a piece of equipment in another lab they had to borrow, so they had to put that lab head on the paper, too. There's your 6 authors.

There was a lab tech responsible for the equipment, who had to show the grad students how to use it, and then fix it after they inevitably broke it - because that's what grad students do - and tell them how to plug it in, how to adjust the sensors, how to download the data, how to analyze the data, and what it meant. But they didn't put the lab tech on the paper because "you don't need publications".

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-27-20, 04:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Lemme check......

.....It's an old bottle of Finish Line.
NFS is the best lube. And I never wave. Seriously.
Old 09-27-20, 04:23 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Drop bars are at least tangible objects that actually exist.
Sigh. How soon we forget.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-27-20, 04:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Sigh. How soon we forget.

Otto
Alas, we don't forget. Just pointing out that the premise of that "debate" was even sillier than this one.
Old 09-27-20, 04:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
One thing I can add---whether or not high cadence works best for non-riders is of no concern to me because I am not a non-rider.

I have worked at improving my pedaling technique, which helps no matter what cadence I use---and anyone who works to improve pedaling technique has to be Not a novice rider--you have to practice by riding.

For experienced riders ... we know form watching pros that each uses different techniques. As far as I can recall, people talked about Jan Ulrich grinding huge gears up mountains while Lance Armstrong and his chemical friends rode extremely high cadence. I have heard similar remarks made by commentators about many other riders--Chris Froome was known for spinning small gears, for instance.

I find that it takes different muscles to do an up-and-down mash versus a controlled spin. I also find on different days different techniques in different amounts work better.

Studies like this one as I said above, prove only what the study set out to prove---but don't directly correspond to any real-world situations.

Is it "science"? Yup. Is it useful? If "useful" includes cranking up a lot of folks on cycling fora .......
And I'm just going to add that what you said is true no matter what group is used.
Old 09-27-20, 05:27 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Time for my Lon Haldeman story. This happened in a little race that was only 30 or so miles from chez Haldeman. Lon was spectating, not racing. I was in a little chase group of four, we were well matched, all in 52 or 53x16 and cruising along at 26-27mph. Lon appears from nowhere and starts chatting with us. He did most of the chat because he could at 27. He was riding a fixed gear. When he announced he was going to go chat with next group up the road I asked him what gear he was in. “42 by 16” he answered. And because he was Lon and was not about to give anyone unfair advantage from utilizing his draft he took off like a rocket. Definitely above 30mph and more likely something like 35.

If you are going to talk about spinning, talk about spinning. And as stated upthread, Lon was not human.
Old 09-27-20, 06:12 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
The other part of this is the media over-interpreting and hyping a very minor study.
Old 09-27-20, 06:15 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Time for my Lon Haldeman story. This happened in a little race that was only 30 or so miles from chez Haldeman. Lon was spectating, not racing. I was in a little chase group of four, we were well matched, all in 52 or 53x16 and cruising along at 26-27mph. Lon appears from nowhere and starts chatting with us. He did most of the chat because he could at 27. He was riding a fixed gear. When he announced he was going to go chat with next group up the road I asked him what gear he was in. “42 by 16” he answered. And because he was Lon and was not about to give anyone unfair advantage from utilizing his draft he took off like a rocket. Definitely above 30mph and more likely something like 35.

If you are going to talk about spinning, talk about spinning. And as stated upthread, Lon was not human.
I’m getting to know 42 by 16 pretty well, and that is some foot speed. Going 30 mph on say 700x25 means 145 rpm. Going 35 mph means 169 rpm.

Otto
Old 09-28-20, 04:58 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
It is the only way to get up a mountain on a recumbent.
Old 09-28-20, 11:55 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The other part of this is the media over-interpreting and hyping a very minor study.
Has anyone read the paper yet?
Old 09-28-20, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Has anyone read the paper yet?
Just the abstract. It's behind a paywall.