Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GP5000 tubeless vs Gatorskins or other?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GP5000 tubeless vs Gatorskins or other?

Old 05-20-20, 02:03 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 72 Posts
I keep hearing about how bad the performance of Gatorskins is. I'm not sure what is meant by that. Rolling resistance? Ride quality? Cornering?

Last weekend, I rode the Litespeed with Zondas and gatorskins one day and Opera with BWW Blackset Race wheels (laced with 1x on the front and 3x rear) and GP 4000s II the other day. Both sets are 23s. I couldnt tell you what in the difference between the two setups was the tires. Personally, I've been happy with the Gatorskins and dont feel any burning need to "upgrade" to a race tire. I've yet to suffer major damage to a Gatorksin while I have a ruined GP4000 sitting in my trash tire pile in the basement.
Old 05-20-20, 02:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
I keep hearing about how bad the performance of Gatorskins is. I'm not sure what is meant by that. Rolling resistance? Ride quality? Cornering?
Yes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-20-20, 02:18 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
If not, the Krylion 2 Endurance feels like the same tire.
I *think* the Krylion 2 was once the Endurance Pro3.

I *know* that Michelin's perpetual shuffling of names and lineup annoys the hell out of me.

As mentioned, Gatorskins last forever and are as tough as nails -- but they ride like them too. Still, it's what I use on my commuter for the reasons mentioned by others.
Old 05-20-20, 02:19 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I am not good as describing these things, but gators feel less pneumatic, slightly micro-rougher, like they transmit surface texture better. gp4ks naturally the reverse, smoother, softer, compliant. At same size, psi and bike..If you don't know better the gators are fine and these things would not be apparent - small enough difference it could perhaps be outweighed by frame differences or maybe not.. Note the gp4k also wear faster than gatorskin, perhaps ~1500mi less for rear, not sure about the 5ks
Old 05-20-20, 02:52 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
I *think* the Krylion 2 was once the Endurance Pro3.
Michelin never had a Pro3 Endurance.

There once was a Krylion Carbon.
Old 05-21-20, 09:52 PM
JRonaTrek

Bikes: 2019 TREK Emonda SL5 and Madone SLR 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts
Funny that this post is up, because I've destroyed 2 sets of tires in 3 days.

First off, the Trek Emonda comes with Bontrager R1's right out of the box, decent tire, easy to get thorns through, There's a canal route by my house and i got 11 thorns through both tires, those were done, no more.

that day, I headed to grab me the Continental Grand Prix 5000. I've never owned a pair of GP 5000's, did a ton of research, read the reviews and jumped on a pair.
The next day I went on the same ride, 10 miles further, I was in my zone, a kid blasting his headphones jumped in front of me (he wasn't facing me, and I hit the brakes. Destroyed my rear tire, the asphalt got the best of it, the front tire had thorns in it as well, so, i called my wife to pick me up. She wasn't too happy with that.

SO, I went back to the store, No warranty on the tires, not for the damaged i caused it, and picked up a new set of gator skins, which i am aware of how tough they are. Rode today, no issues. Not the lightest, not the fastest, but I felt so secure with them on my wheels.

THe GP 5000's felt great on my bike, the fact that i got a flat on them, the first day, didn't leave a great impression, but that's just me. I feel more comfortable in the Gator Skins, with a good tube in there.
Old 05-21-20, 10:15 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I try to commute to work when I can, but its a long way so it's fair weather only. Maybe 600-1000 miles a year. There is occasional glass on my 20 mile route, other random debris etc...

I had Ultra Sport II's, they rode nice but they flatted all the time, so I put gatorskins on my road bike. Honestly I didnt think the gator skins felt too bad. flats went way down. Not quite to 0 but pretty close.

I started picking up a fast group ride on the way home so was looking for something faster. Put GP4000 SII's on. They have been great. Only 1 flat in a couple thousand miles, hit some tire belting on a shoulder in St Louis. Getting to work 30 seconds earlier and nicer road feel might be worth it.

If you rarely flat on the gator skins, I'd try the 5000's. You will have spare gator skins if you need them.
Old 05-21-20, 11:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
For most people, I don't think low rolling resistance is really about going faster. The tires that achieve it are supple and have a better road feel, I think that's more important to most riders. I mean some are chasing marginal gains with the best tires possible, shoe covers, pointy helmets, etc. And the difference between Gatorskins and GP5000s is something lined 15 watts per tire which is significant and really does help you keep up on fast group rides. But I think it's mostly about the feel, cornering and braking, the little bit more liveliness accelerating, etc.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-22-20, 12:33 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by JRonaTrek
Funny that this post is up, because I've destroyed 2 sets of tires in 3 days.

First off, the Trek Emonda comes with Bontrager R1's right out of the box, decent tire, easy to get thorns through, There's a canal route by my house and i got 11 thorns through both tires, those were done, no more.

that day, I headed to grab me the Continental Grand Prix 5000. I've never owned a pair of GP 5000's, did a ton of research, read the reviews and jumped on a pair.
The next day I went on the same ride, 10 miles further, I was in my zone, a kid blasting his headphones jumped in front of me (he wasn't facing me, and I hit the brakes. Destroyed my rear tire, the asphalt got the best of it, the front tire had thorns in it as well, so, i called my wife to pick me up. She wasn't too happy with that.

SO, I went back to the store, No warranty on the tires, not for the damaged i caused it, and picked up a new set of gator skins, which i am aware of how tough they are. Rode today, no issues. Not the lightest, not the fastest, but I felt so secure with them on my wheels.

THe GP 5000's felt great on my bike, the fact that i got a flat on them, the first day, didn't leave a great impression, but that's just me. I feel more comfortable in the Gator Skins, with a good tube in there.
ugh. got a pair ordered with the lbs to add to a '88 steel vintage build they're doing to keep things as light/nimble as possible.
usually defer to michelin pro 4 endurance tires as my default. we'll see how the conti gp 5k's do...
Old 05-22-20, 09:15 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Almost any tire you can find will perform better than Gatorskins.

Grand Prix 4 Seasons are somewhere in the middle, they're me to be more durable than race tires. I've never used them, I found regular GP4Ks didn't flat often, and a tubeless system flats very rarely. In the conditions I ride in.
Love my GP 4 seasons, one flat in over 700 miles and that was because some a$$h0le driver didn't see me and I attempted to bunny hop a curb causing a pinch flat.
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 07-04-20, 03:44 AM
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using Gatorskins forever because flats just ruin my day every time. I've been happy with them and they last forever.

However, I just set up a bike with Pirelli Cinturato 700x32 based on reviews from the rolling resistance website and I think the ride is better. Subtly smoother and faster. The fact that the puncture resistance is off the map makes them my new favorite tires.

$.02
Old 09-27-20, 02:11 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I finally wore out a set of Gatorskins and switched to 5000s. I did a 31 mile loop yesterday and didn't really feel that much difference but was shocked to see all the Strava PRs and second bests when I got home. Some were on segments I've ridden many times and on which I know I wasn't trying very hard.

Last edited by audiomagnate; 09-27-20 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 06:04 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
IMHO, commuting is not the place to be looking for performance.

Also, for many of us, commuting is a ride where we're not seeking maximum speed - who wants to arrive at work soaked in sweat?
Performance is efficiency - the faster your bike, the quicker you can go without raising a sweat.
Old 09-28-20, 09:24 PM
kgcabs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts
all I ride is conti 4 seasons. love em