Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 08-20-20, 08:28 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
My wife and I are taking bets about how long before we go back to online only here at our U. She says a month, I say two weeks. Classes start Aug 31st, time to buckle up.
Originally Posted by himespau
I'm expecting us to be online by fall break at the latest. I run a microbiology teaching lab and won't let the TAs prep stuff for after that because I think it'll all just be wasted. They're annoyed because they want to make it all at once and be done with it.
As of this morning (start of 4th day of classes), of the ~185 students I have in my lecture and lab classes, 2 have written me in the last 12 hours saying they are on quarantine due to exposure to Covid-19 positive people at home or work. I teach a course that a lot of nurses returning to school to get their RN/BSN take, so I expect to get a lot more work-exposure quarantine students than most people. Last spring, I had a student who couldn't go home because she lived with her 80 year old cancer patient grandma after she'd gotten shifted over to the Covid ward in an emergency.
Old 08-20-20, 02:53 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I wish they had online learning when I was younger, I would have thrived, but it really doesn't work for many courses.

I'm doing an online course on Django (web design) and I missed a colon at some point in the last 2 hours and I've been going over it in the past 4 hours trying to find the issue. It looks to have somehow resolved itself!

So far this pandemic I've learned how to design latte art, speak Spanish, and code in Python. First obviously being the most useful. In reality though, I shouldn't brag because I'm still a novice in all of them. Granted, I don't consider myself an expert in anything, even stuff I've been doing for 30 years. Full fledged Imposter Syndrome.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-20-20, 05:13 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I wish they had online learning when I was younger, I would have thrived, but it really doesn't work for many courses.

I'm doing an online course on Django (web design) and I missed a colon at some point in the last 2 hours and I've been going over it in the past 4 hours trying to find the issue. It looks to have somehow resolved itself!

So far this pandemic I've learned how to design latte art, speak Spanish, and code in Python. First obviously being the most useful. In reality though, I shouldn't brag because I'm still a novice in all of them. Granted, I don't consider myself an expert in anything, even stuff I've been doing for 30 years. Full fledged Imposter Syndrome.
I learned Django and Python this year too! (i started in January as a new year skill learning adventure). I built myself my own PMC website which I actually use daily. I did get it deployed to Heroku but have quickly hit the free limit and I don't feel like paying for more capacity and it's not good enough to charge other people to use (and then have to support bugs). But I totally hear you on the missed colon and that was a big reason why I didn't pursue computer science as a undergrad in the late 90's-early 2000's when I took a Java course over a semester. Maybe I could have been a tech billionaire if I had stuck with it! lol
Old 08-20-20, 05:52 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I learned Django and Python this year too! (i started in January as a new year skill learning adventure). I built myself my own PMC website which I actually use daily. I did get it deployed to Heroku but have quickly hit the free limit and I don't feel like paying for more capacity and it's not good enough to charge other people to use (and then have to support bugs). But I totally hear you on the missed colon and that was a big reason why I didn't pursue computer science as a undergrad in the late 90's-early 2000's when I took a Java course over a semester. Maybe I could have been a tech billionaire if I had stuck with it! lol
Nice! You sound way ahead of where I'm at. I have 3 simple Python apps written. They're for comparing subtitles to a global frequency list and my list of 'known words'. So if you're learning a language, you download a show subtitles on Netflix and it spits out the words you have to know before you watch it.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-20-20, 07:09 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
That sounds like a pretty useful application.

Now that I'm back into my SCADA consulting I'm dusting off my programming and scripting again for work, partly by doing programming competitions (I like code chef the best). For my work I need to be able to write in Python and Perl, at least read C++, although I use that for competitions so I'm decent in it, and modify C# and Java. With some VB thrown in sometimes, along with knowing HTML at least a little, XML, and SQL.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 08-21-20, 01:22 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
PHP all the way. I need my curly brackets.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 08-21-20, 02:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
PHP all the way. I need my curly brackets.
I have to say that going from Perl back to Python makes me realize how ugly Perl is. I really hate its syntax. Even C++ is prettier in my opinion, and it's still busy.

Python is so clean to read and look at. Plus you can get A LOT done with a tiny bit of code.
Old 08-21-20, 03:26 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
SCADA? Yessss.

We have the DeltaV PCS at work and run Syncade with SAP tied into it. Fun times.
Old 08-22-20, 03:54 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
As this is the relationship discussion page...today, my massive body, aero position and some 41 type aero thin wheels made my wife comment that I didn't need to ride so hard down the hill. I (stupidly) commented I should ride the gravel bike next time. This 60s something woman drilled it for the next 30 min reminding me where my son got his genes from. It was a great ride. Getting home, not so much. Anger is a great thing sometimes.
Old 08-22-20, 04:10 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I should post on the general/41 but as racing is not really something going on, I thought I'd share some cool equipment stuff.
I just bought a cx bike from my kid and a new gravel for my wife. Each bike will have 3 sets of wheels, two sets each bike being tubular. These are for CO where gravel roads become packed ice from hikers in the winter. I got some serious studded snow tires for the car where I may burn a tank of gas all year without snow (I was driving last week with studs in the summer - it was weird). Anyway, there is some very cool new tubular technology. One wheel-set - sharpened spikes. Another 36 wide.

Last edited by Doge; 08-22-20 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-22-20, 09:58 PM
Flatballer
No matches

If this is the relationship thread, then here goes.
My wife just blew up at me tonight because apparently I've been in a bad mood all week on our first week of a two part vacation. Told me the kids think I hate them. Brought up all sorts of stuff. I actually had a great week overall, and I thought she and the kids did too for the most part.

I know I'm not perfect but I really do try and I do love all of them and like spending time with them, but I don't connect with them like she does. And she and I haven't connected well lately, off and on for a long time. I feel like it's both of us but it always just comes back to me and ends up with me apologizing and trying to fix things and then it's fine for a little while again.

It's worse when my depression is worse. She has depression too, but I don't think it manifests the same way so I don't think she understands what helps me. I dunno. I'd like to do marriage counseling but she doesn't. I might start doing individual therapy on my own, maybe one of those text based ones (with a real person, not AI) to at least see if I can work on myself. I feel like it's just constantly crumbling no matter what I do. I manage to build it back up a little each time but never as much as has been lost. It feels like a losing battle, but one I don't want to think about losing.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 08-23-20, 08:20 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
It would be great if she would agree to some type of intervention like therapy. If you two can fix things it would be worth a bit of effort. This from a guy who has screwed up every relationship he's ever been in. It would have been nice to have a stable, happy marriage with a kid or two. Would be nice to have someone with similar goals/vision for the future. Start all over again at my age? Geez, I don't know.
Old 08-23-20, 03:09 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Absolutely not a bad idea to try doing therapy even if it's just for yourself. You could learn a lot from it.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the text based stuff. I'd say you should atleast try it as teleheath.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 08-23-20, 03:40 PM
furiousferret

@Flatballer me and my wife had a really rough patch lately when her work got bad and she started taking it out on me. She went on Zoloft and things are much better.

I think there are things you should do to like exercise, having a clean house, eating right, getting sun, etc. but some people need medications or counseling. Maybe that's not you, life is a lot harder with a wife and 2 kids.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-23-20, 09:28 PM
Flatballer
No matches

@Flatballer me and my wife had a really rough patch lately when her work got bad and she started taking it out on me. She went on Zoloft and things are much better.

I think there are things you should do to like exercise, having a clean house, eating right, getting sun, etc. but some people need medications or counseling. Maybe that's not you, life is a lot harder with a wife and 2 kids.
Yeah, I think treating both of us wouldn't be bad, but I don't think she ever would. Not her thing. And her mom is super into holistic stuff and would talk her out of it I'm sure. When I used to be on stuff the side effects were too bad, and I never tried another type, after we were together for a while I didn't feel like I needed it anymore.

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Absolutely not a bad idea to try doing therapy even if it's just for yourself. You could learn a lot from it.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the text based stuff. I'd say you should atleast try it as teleheath.
Yeah, the nice thing about text is that I can do it while I work, or whenever, I don't need a set schedule or private space. And it would need to be super private to talk out loud in the same house probably

Originally Posted by big john
It would be great if she would agree to some type of intervention like therapy. If you two can fix things it would be worth a bit of effort. This from a guy who has screwed up every relationship he's ever been in. It would have been nice to have a stable, happy marriage with a kid or two. Would be nice to have someone with similar goals/vision for the future. Start all over again at my age? Geez, I don't know.
Yeah, I think we have similar goals when we talk about them. She does want another kid, and I don't really. Partly because I feel like we have two great ones and I just feel like a third adds anything really, partly because I am looking forward to the not having young kids phase more than she is, and partly because I think it might literally kill her, and then where am I? The first two took a real toll on her physically and I'm not convinced she'd make it through a third. She's in worse shape now than she was before. I think that is weighing heavily on our relationship right now. I don't say no to her easily.
Old 08-24-20, 03:08 PM
furiousferret

I think its a roll of the dice whether you get a crappy kid or not. I don't think its avoidable by good parenting all the times either, so if you have two good kids I'd stop there because the next one probably is going to be a hell demon.

Unless its my cousins kids. They're the Von Trapp, Brady Bunch, and Huxtables all rolled into one. All homeschooled, all sing songs together, do algebra at 8 years old, etc. Its enough for normal families to want to jump off a cliff.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-24-20, 04:30 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I think its a roll of the dice whether you get a crappy kid or not. I don't think its avoidable by good parenting all the times either, so if you have two good kids I'd stop there because the next one probably is going to be a hell demon.

Unless its my cousins kids. They're the Von Trapp, Brady Bunch, and Huxtables all rolled into one. All homeschooled, all sing songs together, do algebra at 8 years old, etc. Its enough for normal families to want to jump off a cliff.
That's how I feel. 2/2 great kids I don't want to push my luck.
Old 08-24-20, 05:21 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
I had a friend who once explained it as, with 2 parents and 2 kids, you're playing man to man. With 3 kids, you have to switch to zone.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-24-20, 05:31 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer

It's worse when my depression is worse. She has depression too, but I don't think it manifests the same way so I don't think she understands what helps me. I dunno. I'd like to do marriage counseling but she doesn't. I might start doing individual therapy on my own, maybe one of those text based ones (with a real person, not AI) to at least see if I can work on myself. I feel like it's just constantly crumbling no matter what I do. I manage to build it back up a little each time but never as much as has been lost. It feels like a losing battle, but one I don't want to think about losing.
Try medication if not on any.

I have been on venlafaxine the last couple years and it has improved my life greatly.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 08-24-20, 05:39 PM
furiousferret

On another note, my wife and I have been contemplating buying property on the Costa Brava, about 10-15 east of Girona and 60 miles north of Barcelona. I'd like to retire outside of the US, and my wife is on board at least doing it part time. Moving to a country where they speak a new language and have a different culture (in addition to having the best cycling in the world, on the coast, great weather, etc.) would be a great experience. Oh, and I'll get to the see the Vuelta and TdF every year. I do miss living by the ocean and its 4x cheaper there than in California, including cheaper medical.

A lot of things still have to go our way for this to happen (I still won't retire for another 10 years minimum), and maybe I'll be enthralled with a new part of the world like Ecuador or Costa Rica.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-24-20, 06:03 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Flatballer

The holistic folks I encounter are way more likely to want to do therapy than med. As always, perfect is the enemy of good. Maybe it would be better if you both did it vs you doing it alone. But you doing it alone is better than no one doing it.

Re teleheath, I meant trying it face to face even if it's on a screen. I'm not really sold on the text based stuff except maybe for crisis resources.

A fair amount goes into picking meds. While I think they're a fantastic option, I definitely think trying therapy first isn't a bad idea if that's the way you and/or your wife lean.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 08-24-20, 09:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
On another note, my wife and I have been contemplating buying property on the Costa Brava, about 10-15 east of Girona and 60 miles north of Barcelona. I'd like to retire outside of the US, and my wife is on board at least doing it part time. Moving to a country where they speak a new language and have a different culture (in addition to having the best cycling in the world, on the coast, great weather, etc.) would be a great experience. Oh, and I'll get to the see the Vuelta and TdF every year. I do miss living by the ocean and its 4x cheaper there than in California, including cheaper medical.

A lot of things still have to go our way for this to happen (I still won't retire for another 10 years minimum), and maybe I'll be enthralled with a new part of the world like Ecuador or Costa Rica.
I wish I was brave enough to try that. I looked at real estate and rental pricing there and it is a lot cheaper than here.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-25-20, 05:38 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
The pandemic has made me lazy.

Before, I used to get up at 5 every day and get my workout in, then go to work.

Now, I lounge around in bed until 6 or 7 - it's like sleeping in all day. Then I decide, do I want to do my workout now, or later. Sometimes, it's later. Just so much less consistency.
Old 08-25-20, 07:49 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yes. It's phenomenal (and I didn't even have great weather, though the cycling was decent), and I miss it nearly every day. I'd move tomorrow were it not for family ties.

How's the residency situation for Spain? I looked into it once and there was zero chance for me at that point.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-25-20, 09:00 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
=I'd like to retire outside of the US
I'm hoping this will be part of my future post-work plans, not as sexy as the Spanish coast, but there's that mountain in the background to climb! (the house on the left belongs to my parents and was my maternal grandparents' home)

Likes For hubcyclist:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.