Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

No Warmup Before Race

Old 05-28-18, 11:43 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
No Warmup Before Race

Due to stupidity on my part, I arrived late to a race and had to skip my warmup.

My average power was 20% below that of my most recent training ride of similar intensity, longer distance, and less adrenaline.

Oops.
Old 05-28-18, 12:03 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Thats exactly why i ride the morning of a race, or the night before if its a morning road race. I never need a warm-up after those rides so if i dont get a chance to spin its not a big deal. Very useful for big city night crits with no place to warmup, or if it's raining or something.
Old 05-28-18, 06:47 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Although I'm pretty adamant about doing 15-60 minutes the day before a race, for day of the race it's not very important. In some of my best ever races I've done almost zero warm up, literally measured in the seconds it took to ride from registration to the start line (5 to 50 meters, to be generous).

I've done warm ups as well and didn't see a big difference in my race performance.

The exception would be particularly technical courses, where I'd be repeating massive efforts from the start. Even those I find that just rolling around a bit (15-30 min) was all I needed. Kitting up and going hasn't worked for me in those races.

For me it's most important to know that I'm ready to race. Number pinned, shoes good, kit good, bike ready, bottle/s ready, etc. If I'm ready to race then I can relax a bit.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-28-18, 08:23 PM
ted ward
Rice Baker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never felt I got much benefit from the warmup, either. I figured it was due to being a fast-twitch guy. I dunno.
Old 05-29-18, 01:09 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Maybe I’m weird, but I like a proper warmup. Rollers are ideal but when traveling not an option. Even just 10 mins and I’m good.

”Rollong around” is generally a **** warmup for me.
Old 05-29-18, 06:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I need a decent warm up. Usually, rolling around easy for 30 min. or so with a couple of short hard jumps works, but lately, I've been trying a more structured warm up, which seems to be working out ok.

That said, I did not get a warm up before my Kilo on Friday night. The rain threw off the schedule, and they ended up rushing things, so I went into that fairly cold. It was a freaking disaster, that more-so because I was just not ready and rushing to get to the start line than not having a good warm up.
Old 05-29-18, 08:22 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I ride to work (18 miles) on the morning of the race. Then from work I ride over to the race (about 4.5 miles) and consider that a warmup for me.

Last race I rode a steady state lap around the track, but still had to wait another 30 minutes before my race.

I'm not sure if a "proper" warmup will work for me. I guess being new to cycling and racing I'd be afraid of wasting too much energy. Plus, I'm old and am not close to winning or contesting anything so perhaps it doesn't mean as much for me. I get nervous at races still so having to think about a warmup protocol might be much for me.
Old 05-29-18, 08:23 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
For me performance is terrible if there's no warm up, and the longer the warm up the better I race. Ideally 45 minutes.
Old 05-29-18, 08:48 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I much prefer a real warmup, like steady trainer or roller effort where you break a sweat and get capillaries open.

I barely ever have the time or energy for a real warmup.
Old 05-29-18, 09:18 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I prefer a good warm up, though don’t always get one. Pre dawn starts. Bad weather. In lieu of my preference I find a couple of good bong rips help.

Too soon?
Old 05-29-18, 10:15 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I rarely do a full on warmup with any sort of structure. Only before TT's really. Otherwise I tend to just roll around for 15-20 mins if I have time, take a couple of little digs, and call it done. I've started races with no warm up plenty of times. It's only bad if someone makes it hard from the gun, otherwise I'm OK.
Old 05-29-18, 10:36 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I prefer a good warm up, though don’t always get one. Pre dawn starts. Bad weather. In lieu of my preference I find a couple of good bong rips help.

Too soon?
nah dude, you do you.

I don't smoke, anyway. Edibles - better control of dose and saves the lungs.
Old 05-29-18, 10:40 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
nah dude, you do you.

I don't smoke, anyway. Edibles - better control of dose and saves the lungs.
not as strong a rim shot.
Old 05-29-18, 10:43 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb

not as strong a rim shot.
is that a hybrid strain
Old 05-29-18, 11:22 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I prefer at least 20 minutes on the trainer, mostly steady with a couple of hard jumps. But oddly enough, my best placings lately have been when I was running late and had no warm up at all. Got 4th at San Rafael and still had my frame pump and saddle bag attached.
Old 05-29-18, 12:30 PM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to warm up for about 20 minutes with a few hard efforts thrown in. If I don't warm up my legs will feel dead in 10-15 mins and by the time I work through that (~20mins) I'm usually out the back. Warming up gets me beyond that point so my performance doesn't suffer due to dead legs.
Old 05-29-18, 06:31 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
I'm mixed depending on the type of race but lean more towards warming up as I get older. Crits longer with a few hard efforts and RR I spin around with a few pops just in case. I learned my lesson in my first 1/2/3 race as a newly minted 3, the Modesto RR, which is essentially a 75 mi crit. We got there late and my teammate convinced me that it was a RR so no need to warm up. We were at 32 mph 3 min into the race. That hurt, so now I always try to do something.
Old 05-29-18, 08:09 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Longer easy start road race? Just roll around a bit.

TT's? I've got a program. 10 minutes easy spinning. 10 minutes with a ladder (2minute steps usually about 20W per step) up to just about target wattage.(ie Start at 220 build to 320) Bring it back down a bit then spin easy to finish off the time. Works well on my rollers because I'm usually spinning like mad to get that top power and it's one gear per 20W up until just about the end.

Crits or RR's that start hard? Ride to the race if its an option or spin on roller til you feel good, short ladder like above but not all the way up. Then throw in a few 20-30s bursts of high rpm and I'm good to go.
Old 05-30-18, 01:40 PM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fastk9dad
I prefer to warm up for about 20 minutes with a few hard efforts thrown in. If I don't warm up my legs will feel dead in 10-15 mins and by the time I work through that (~20mins) I'm usually out the back. Warming up gets me beyond that point so my performance doesn't suffer due to dead legs.
^^what he said.
Old 05-30-18, 02:31 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely have time for much of a warmup, and don't feel a need for long warm-ups anyway. State TT was weekend before last, and I think I did about 8-10 minutes. I find a few minutes of easy spinning followed by a few short bursts of high-cadence is enough, maybe a really short/quick 'ladder' up to threshold power if I think/know the event is going to start with a hard effort. Only time I might go a little bit longer is before a winter race when I'm actually cold.

Velonews Fast Talk podcast did an episode about warmups a year or so ago. Their takeaway based on the science was that the most effect warmups are short and occur immediately before the event (eg minutes, not half hour or longer), and also that long warmups are more likely to just add fatigue. Then they went wish-washy as said it's all a matter of personal preference so just do what feels right to you.
Old 05-30-18, 04:25 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fastk9dad
If I don't warm up my legs will feel dead in 10-15 mins and by the time I work through that (~20mins) I'm usually out the back.
That's exactly what happened to me. And it was a crit.
Old 05-30-18, 06:48 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I get bored warming up, but if my legs feel a bit sluggish from a hard ride the day before or from too much of nothing, 4 or 5 minutes near threshold helps get the initial hurt out.