Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020 Roubaix Comp: 100-mile review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 01:08 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

I know some hate these, others like them, but I find consumer reviews helpful when in the market so here-goes. I'll update as I continue to make more observations as the miles pile on.

Last Friday I took delivery of my '20 Roubaix Comp in the Sagan "chasing rainbows" paint and have had the opportunity to put about 100 miles on it - enough for a first impression and initial review.

I was on a 58 cm Tarmac Pro Race before this bike and sized up in the Roubaix to a 61 cm. I'd always preferred a smaller frame and more aggressive riding position, but obviously times have changed, as reflected in my bike choice. While my setup gained probably 2+ lbs, much of it in the wheels, I'm pretty sure the helium-feel of the Tarmac when climbing will be more than offset in efficiency gained by the superior fit and endurance riding position on the Roubaix. Anyways...on with it.

The Ride:
Smooth, smooth, smooth. High-end carbon, high-bars, high-volume tires, future-shock 1.5, and the new seat post integration really make for a compliant ride. Same 10r carbon that was on my Tarmac, but the larger frame and all the gizmos really do make a bigger difference in ride comfort than I was expecting. I'm sure a lot of this is attributed to running 28's instead of 23's but I'm running 90/100 psi in both so there's no doubt some of the new tech is in play here.

I like the "hover bar" or whatever Spesh is calling their 25 mm riser bars, and I really, REALLY like the improved future-shock. The bike climbs and accelerates very well, with gearing that will confidently get you over any paved surface. It doesn't leap out from under you like my Tarmac did but I attribute that 100% to the Roval C40 wheels that were on the Tarmac. Descending has never been my strong point, but this bike feels so planted on the road that I'm descending with more confidence already. Even on really tough surfaces, over potholes, cobbled cracked roads, etc., the wheels stay on the ground, where on so many bikes I've been bounced all over the place. It's ingrained in me to bob around potholes, manhole covers, and to hop the big cracks we get in our roads after winter. Not only did I stop caring to bother, I stopped even noticing them. The 28's are nice in that regard and I'm fairly certain the suspension system is helping also.

I've heard some people refer to bikes that ride this way as "sleepy" but really would be surprised if that's the feedback coming in on this Roubaix. No, it's not as racy or twitchy handling like I'm used to and has been an adjustment for me. It's unlikely to be the bike of choice for a CAT 1 criterium racer. Having said that, the confidence that it inspires by knowing you can carry more speed into turns and hammer on descents without consequence is not only reassuring, but exhilarating. The Roubaix's ability to carry speed over rough surfaces without beating you up and allowing you to stay in the saddle all day is very obviously what this bike is all about. Again, I'm taking mountain descents faster than I was on a bike I'd been comfortably riding for 3 years. Specialized is all about the "smooth is fast" philosophy indeed.

The Build:
The frame is pretty sweet looking, non-traditional as it may be. The sparkle paint is incredible, and there's a few cool touches: The "Sagan" insignias on the top tube and there's a really subtle hologram "We'll see" under the bottom bracket (not sure what that's about) and "Chasing Rainbows" on the chainstay. They're very very subtle. Someone said the frames were numbered out of 200 total, but I haven't found anything like that. Maybe only the S-Works?

The riding position, geometry and cockpit all feel very comfortable, allowing me to ride with about a 2cm drop (6'1", 35 inseam on a 61 cm). The riser bars and tall head tube lend to a comfortable but not overly relaxed position; the reach is perfect with the stock stem. The gearing range is good, going as low as 34x32. If you like to really spin out your downhills, you'll get there pretty quickly on the 50x12 so it does lack some high-end gearing. This is my first true compact gearing in a few years and it takes getting used to. I actually do quite despise the big jump the compact necessitates, but it's a necessary trade off to get the low gears I want.

The Ultegra group works nicely and the stopping power of the hydraulics is very good. It's not the DA 9000 I had on my Tarmac but after a few hundred more miles think it will be close to as fast. I really am in love with the Ultegra crankset. Compared with the 105 hydraulic group on my Diverge paired with the Praxis cranks, this is the most noticeable single upgrade. Other than quicker shifting up front, I can't much tell the 105 and Ultegra hydro groups apart and I'm very pleased with both.

Two areas where the jury is still out are with the saddle and the wheels. I realized that during my fit, my saddle was set up with more positive tilt than normal, which resulted in me standing the last 3 miles of my first ride in extreme discomfort. I leveled my seat and no further issues. Still, I'm not in love with the stubby Body Geo saddle but will give it a couple hundred more miles. It just seems like a weird choice for an endurance bike. The wheels - they're fine but I guess I'd gotten used to the Rovals and these feel (are) quite a bit heavier. While not slow, they are more sluggish than some rim brake wheels I've ridden including the Roval C40's and Rol Volants. The DT R470's are the same wheel spec'd on my 2019 Diverge Sport and Specialized is now using this wheel on their higher-end bikes (while I think using lower end wheels now on their Sport lines). Don't get me wrong, this is a fine wheelset and seems durable; I just think they could have gone sexier and/or lighter given the rest of the build. Admittedly, I'm not used to the feel of disc brake wheels yet so maybe it's just the added weight of the rotor more than the wheels. I may look at a wheel upgrade in a few months and set these up as a second tubeless setup for my Diverge.

In conclusion, I'm feeling very validated in my bike selection and purchase. It's exactly as advertised and designed for exactly what I need (long days over rough roads in mountains). I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 with the deductions being (for me) the saddle and wheels. I haven't weighed the bike yet, but imagine I'm around 19-20 lbs with pedals and bottle cages. I'd say my only regret is waiting as long as I did to make the move to a more comfortable bike. Having said that, my patience paid off in this year's tech and paint:
Old 04-24-19, 03:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Good review, thanks
Old 04-24-19, 03:19 PM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Enjoy it !
Old 04-24-19, 03:23 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Whenever a journalist asks Sagan how he thinks he'll fare in (insert name of upcoming race here) his standard response is a sly grin & "We'll see!".
West.
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 04-24-19, 03:45 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
As a '19 Comp Di2 owner, I agree that the bike feels fantastic, very planted on descents. Not a fan on the hover bars, just got mine swapped out for some narrower Zipp Service Course 80 Ergos. The Power is their most popular saddle, although they're meant for more aggressive riding position and my fitter said they typically are angled down. I prefer them for comfort over long rides because they do a much better job of supporting the sit bones than traditional shapes. Your cassette should be 11-34t unless you changed it.

I don't like the DT R470 wheels. I have Hunt Aero Light Disc wheels on my Al bike and they are way more nimble and aero, plus the low pawl engagement on the rear hub is a noticeable downgrade. I plan to get some Light Bicycle deep section wheels later, just living with the stock wheels so I can fully appreciate the upgrade.
Old 04-24-19, 05:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Nice review.

One suggestion?

Lower your tire pressure by 10-15 PSI. Running same PSI in 28’s as you do in 23’s is too much.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-24-19, 05:52 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
You must of changed your saddle/bar drop a huge amount going from the Tarmac to a larger size Roubaix + hover bars.
Old 04-25-19, 10:53 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Originally Posted by surak
As a '19 Comp Di2 owner, I agree that the bike feels fantastic, very planted on descents. Not a fan on the hover bars, just got mine swapped out for some narrower Zipp Service Course 80 Ergos. The Power is their most popular saddle, although they're meant for more aggressive riding position and my fitter said they typically are angled down. I prefer them for comfort over long rides because they do a much better job of supporting the sit bones than traditional shapes. Your cassette should be 11-34t unless you changed it.

I don't like the DT R470 wheels. I have Hunt Aero Light Disc wheels on my Al bike and they are way more nimble and aero, plus the low pawl engagement on the rear hub is a noticeable downgrade. I plan to get some Light Bicycle deep section wheels later, just living with the stock wheels so I can fully appreciate the upgrade.
You're right - it is 11-34. It just felt low still so I assumed it was 12, further driving home the notion that the adjustment back to compact gearing will take some getting used to. Looking at the claimed weight of the wheelset, it's around 1650 grams. I'd have guessed closer to 1900, but I guess it's the weight of the discs I'm not used to. I'll definitely give these wheels a pounding but might look for an upgrade this summer.

Originally Posted by datlas
Nice review.

One suggestion?

Lower your tire pressure by 10-15 PSI. Running same PSI in 28’s as you do in 23’s is too much.
Good suggestion - I think I could probably go 80/90 and even further improve the already luxurious ride.

Originally Posted by Dean V
You must of changed your saddle/bar drop a huge amount going from the Tarmac to a larger size Roubaix + hover bars.
From 9.5 cm to 2 cm!
Old 04-25-19, 11:34 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Nice review. Has the geometry changed much from the previous iteration? I'll be looking for a second ride and want to find something as close to my current (2017 Roubaix) as possible.
Old 04-25-19, 11:47 AM
ridethetown

The geometry has changed, but subtly. The angles and chainstay length remained constant, while the reach increased slightly, the stack a bit more, and the wheelbase lengthened slightly.
Old 09-18-19, 10:43 PM
Mars304

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roubaix Comp

Nice review. I'm considering buying one myself. Just curious though, how did you get the Sagan paint? The options I show only have the Sagan available in the S-Works bikes.
Old 09-19-19, 05:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Mars304
Nice review. I'm considering buying one myself. Just curious though, how did you get the Sagan paint? The options I show only have the Sagan available in the S-Works bikes.
You need to know the secret handshake to find this webpage ;-)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...ction/p/171047
Old 09-19-19, 08:44 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Max Tire Size

Specialized claims the 2020 Roubaix can handle 700x33c tires. Has anyone out there successfully fitted larger tires, like 35's? If so, how was it?
Old 09-26-19, 08:12 PM
Boogie85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking bike!
Old 10-01-19, 03:50 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I’m actually looking at the same bike. Are the Sagan editions worth anything more? From what I can tell, they’re limited editions with different paint schemes, at least for the Roubaix Sagan model. Either way, I love the color and it’s the same price as the Ultegra Roubaix.
Old 10-01-19, 04:27 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown

Good suggestion - I think I could probably go 80/90 and even further improve the already luxurious ride.
Depending on your weight, it may be even less than that. I run 25's on my HED Ardennes Black wheels and the suggested pressure for my 164 lb self is 67 (!) psi. If I was running 28's, it'd be 62 psi.
Old 10-01-19, 04:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
ENJOY !!! 12,000+ miles on my 2018 Expert and still lov'n it.
Old 10-02-19, 09:38 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown
Looking at the claimed weight of the wheelset, it's around 1650 grams. I'd have guessed closer to 1900, but I guess it's the weight of the discs I'm not used to. I'll definitely give these wheels a pounding but might look for an upgrade this summer.

!
The discs may not be what you are noticing. The wider tires add weight where you would feel it most. Before you buy new wheels, try narrower, lighter tires to see if they make a difference, particularly since you seem reluctant to relinquish higher tire pressure

Last edited by alcjphil; 10-02-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 03:29 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 2seven0
Whenever a journalist asks Sagan how he thinks he'll fare in (insert name of upcoming race here) his standard response is a sly grin & "We'll see!".
West.
exactly! Gotta love him.
Likes For maartendc:
Old 06-03-20, 10:24 AM
bhay100

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sagan rainbow "Underexposed"

Hi RideTheTown,

Do you have any more pics of your bike. I had the Black version of yours which was stolen and was thinking of replacing it with the Sagan rainbow "Underexposed" ?

Many thanks
Old 06-03-20, 12:15 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
If you are comfortable with the current setup, I wouldn't lower the tire pressure. Sure it's worth a try, but you are only going to increase rolling resistance (assuming you are riding normal roads). If you aren't experiencing discomfort, lower pressure isn't necessary.
Old 06-03-20, 12:25 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Nice write up. I have a little over a thousand miles on my leftover 19 Comp Di2 and agree about the amazing comfort of the bike on rough roads. My old beater MTB has 1.75" tires running 30/35 PSI and the Roubaix is more comfortable on really bad chipseal.

Regarding the saddle, mine camp with the Phenom comp saddle. Initially I didn't think I was going to be able to live with it, but after a few very minor adjustments and break-in, I'm finding it acceptable. Have done one century on it and a number of 50-80 mile rides with only minor discomfort.

I also agree about lowering the pressure. I am 160 pounds and can run 70/75 with no issues. There is a very noticeable difference in comfort from the 80/85 that I started with. Could probably go even lower but I ride some really bad potholed roads in remote areas and don't want to risk an unnecessary pinch flat.

I also feel validated in my decision. Love the comfort, the braking, and the shifting. It's a great bike.

For anyone interested in a deal, Mike's bikes in San Jose has a leftover 2019 Comp Di2 (54cm only) for $3400. Free shipping.

Old 06-03-20, 03:42 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by

For anyone interested in a deal, Mike's bikes in San Jose has a leftover 2019 Comp Di2 (54cm only) for $3400. Free shipping.

[img
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/2000x1439/img_e3406_1__7f62abd3ec4d004a7ae4cb47949da754589a079d.jpg
Sure, NOW you tell me! I just ordered a slightly nicer bike, for much more $$$. Oh well that is the way the cookie crumbles.
Old 06-04-20, 05:33 PM
Duganator9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Nice write up. I have a little over a thousand miles on my leftover 19 Comp Di2 and agree about the amazing comfort of the bike on rough roads. My old beater MTB has 1.75" tires running 30/35 PSI and the Roubaix is more comfortable on really bad chipseal.

Regarding the saddle, mine camp with the Phenom comp saddle. Initially I didn't think I was going to be able to live with it, but after a few very minor adjustments and break-in, I'm finding it acceptable. Have done one century on it and a number of 50-80 mile rides with only minor discomfort.

I also agree about lowering the pressure. I am 160 pounds and can run 70/75 with no issues. There is a very noticeable difference in comfort from the 80/85 that I started with. Could probably go even lower but I ride some really bad potholed roads in remote areas and don't want to risk an unnecessary pinch flat.

I also feel validated in my decision. Love the comfort, the braking, and the shifting. It's a great bike.

I took mine out for 20, 25, and 60 and it's been amazing so far. I really am surprised how much faster I am on a bike that fits my weird body. I've gained anywhere from 2-3 mph avg speed at the exact same power. I got mine from Mike's bikes for $2700 and I'm pretty sure I got the last one at that price then it jumped to $3400.
Likes For Duganator9:
Old 06-04-20, 10:11 PM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
tire pressure

I run Conti 4000 x 28 tires on my 2019 Roubaix Comp. The tires actually measure a bit over 30mm wide when inflated on those rims. I am 5'11, 180 lbs and I run 80 psi rear, 70 in the front. The tires are cush and fast and I have no fear of getting a pinch flat. And nowadays many people would say rolling resistance is probably just fine at lower psi. You might trade a little resistance for a more comfortable ride. I can feel every bump but am never concerned about a few seconds over 40 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.