Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Cyclist with motor kills another cyclist on SGRT

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 02-19-20, 06:34 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts

https://bikinginla.com/2020/02/19/br...er-bike-trail/

According to a tweet from the Norwalk Station of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, a woman was killed in a collision with a motorcyclist while riding on the San Gabriel River Bike Trail a little over two weeks ago.
I've seen all sorts of motorized bikes on the SGRT including ebikes, two stroke china specials, and even a moped once.
Old 02-19-20, 07:58 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Same here and the motor bikes were going well over 30-40 mph. It was only a matter of time before someone died.
Old 02-19-20, 08:35 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Same here and the motor bikes were going well over 30-40 mph. It was only a matter of time before someone died.
Merde! The motorized tards complain about us on the roads, then follow us onto the mups....
Old 02-20-20, 12:27 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I've seen all sorts of motorized bikes on the SGRT including ebikes, two stroke china specials, and even a moped once.
I've seen real live, full-size crotch rockets on SGRT. I half-assumed they were hiding from cops under a bridge, never did encounter them riding.
Old 02-20-20, 08:48 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Very sad. I see e-bikes all the time on all the MUP trials I ride. Posted signs stating "No Motorized Vehicles" notwithstanding. Isn't an e-bike by definition a motorized vehicle? Enforcement would be tough but new signs stressing e-bikes not allowed if that's the case would help.
West
Old 02-20-20, 10:09 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by 2seven0
Very sad. I see e-bikes all the time on all the MUP trials I ride. Posted signs stating "No Motorized Vehicles" notwithstanding. Isn't an e-bike by definition a motorized vehicle? Enforcement would be tough but new signs stressing e-bikes not allowed if that's the case would help.
West
Most ebikes are not considered "vehicles" and are allowed on the class 3 bike trails as long as they fall into one of the defined ebike classes. But local agencies may restrict them as needed. OC Parks has signs that say "no motorized conveyances" which excludes anything with a motor.
Old 02-20-20, 10:28 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I have guys on mini-bikes (gas powered) and other gasoline converted bikes pass me at least once every 5 rides between the Steel Bridge and PCH. They mostly appear to be the trouble-maker kind of personality in appearance. Someone who knows if they ride it on the road they will be caught, so they occasionally take it out on the SGRT. Other than being a little pissed off I don't think there's much we can do about it.
Old 02-20-20, 10:48 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Most ebikes are not considered "vehicles" and are allowed on the class 3 bike trails as long as they fall into one of the defined ebike classes. But local agencies may restrict them as needed. OC Parks has signs that say "no motorized conveyances" which excludes anything with a motor.
Thanks for that info. Reminds me of back in the day when we didn't have drivers licenses yet & mopeds came out for awhile no one seemed to know what we were allowed to do on them.
West
Old 02-20-20, 10:57 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

...Presuming the owner didn't mod them into being twist-throttle no-pedal mopeds. Which given the number of people not pedalling and doing 25MPH on the flat around here, is most of them. Worst are the 2-stroke no-pedal idiots spewing blue smoke in their wake. being inconsiderate is one thing--causing breathing hazards is another. That is the nice thing about crappy weather--those people hide when it isn't 70F-80F and sunny.

Now there are many law-abiding people either old or injured using them as effective tools for their day to day commute or enjoyment. To be fair. And to be fair--they are a minority IME.

Originally Posted by 2seven0
Thanks for that info. Reminds me of back in the day when we didn't have drivers licenses yet & mopeds came out for awhile no one seemed to know what we were allowed to do on them.
West
Difference being...now most people know--and outright don't care. One of the contractors I work with knows outright his "50cc" moped is actually 80cc. sub-50cc and it isn't a "moped". He knows it. He brags about spewing smoke on the MUP with his moped. In fact--he bought the thing precisely because the displacement label was a lie--and people on the internet knew it.
Old 02-20-20, 04:28 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Rode the SGRT from Whittier to the far north end this morning. No motorized bikes today and no LEO present. I know there are mini-motorcycle gangs on the RHT-LART that roam and takeover the whole trail. Ran into that group a couple of years ago. Only time I thought it was a good idea to be packing.
Old 03-12-20, 08:47 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
https://bikinginla.com/2020/02/19/br...er-bike-trail/

Articles says "motorbike" a couple of times and also says "motorcyclist" a couple of times.
Do we know if it was an ebike, moped or a motorcycle?
Old 03-12-20, 09:27 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
someone stole Becerra’s phone, earphones and ear rings while she was lying unconscious and dying on the bike path, sometime before the first responders could get there.

People just suck
Old 03-12-20, 09:50 AM
CAT7RDR

Last week along the stretch near the Pico golf course, LASD was patrolling SGRT.