Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

A Newbie writes . . .

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

A Newbie writes . . .

Old 04-20-20, 02:31 PM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
A Newbie writes . . .

Hi Bike Forum, Albion here, a transplanted Brit who enjoys old bikes - and most importantly, riding them. I'd post several pictures but as a newbie BF will not allow me to do so until I reach ten posts - and this is Number Four. So a few words in case of interest: Came here in 1980 and purchased a lovely Fuji Gran Tourer SE to enjoy the rolling, killing hills of Boston's suburbs. Fast forward forty years, two charming children and wife sent by the Guy Upstairs, and I am now retired. Purchased another Fuji Gran Tourer SE, just the same, on Craigslist for $100. Spent happy hours restoring it, then purchased an early 1970s Araya literally pulled out of the ground for $37.50 (yes, we bargained that much). Purchased a Carbon Cannondale for wifey and hated it (Wifey: "Can you move the handlebars back an inch for me?" Cannondale: "That's $120 sir . . .) It also felt lifeless to ride, sort of like a lump (no slight meant in any way to the Carbon Community, it's just my view). Along the way brushed up skills not since Apprentice School to ream, braze and weld, next is bead blasting with an attachment to my 1980 Sears &Roebuck compressor. Thought for the day: A bike is the next best thing to a magic carpet. Will now post on My Favorite tools to make Post Number Six . . .

Last edited by Albion; 04-20-20 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 04-20-20, 02:45 PM
Albion 

A Newbie writes again . . .

Me again. In case of interest, my favorite tools by way of introducing who I am and what I do:

1. A large, old plastic trash bin. Just the thing for setting a wheel on when repairing a puncture, and saving bearings when the balls drop out.
2. Wifey's talc (=Talcum Powder). Makes getting the inner tube and tire go on so much easier when sprinkled.
3. A 1/2" nut and bolt with a bunch of washers. Insert them through the BB cup and tighten to extract it. Has never failed.
4. Spin Doctor bike stand. No more placing the bike upside down on the ground for me! Color me happy.
5. One or more ears. Just the thing to listen to The Song Of The Spokes when finding the loose one.
6. An eBay adjustable reamer. Run that through the seat tube before inserting the post, so much easier after a gentle scrape. (Top Tip: Stuff some newspaper in first to stop any shavings falling into the BB).

Anyway, this is Post Number Six, when I reach ten I can add pics . . .

Last edited by Albion; 04-20-20 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 02:55 PM
Albion 

It's that darn Newbie again . . .

My State Secrets for restoring old bikes:

1. Evaporust from Harbor Freight (intended for removing rust from steel parts). Used "off-label" this does absolute wonders for alloy parts. They come out literally sparkling.
2. PB Blaster. Forget WD 40, this stuff will loosen anything over time (key word: Time). Superb at loosening nipples from spokes.
3. Not using motor oil in my oil can. Using transmission fluid instead. A Chemist friend told me it sinks in better, and I pump it down cables using a Rube Goldberg arrangement of a threaded tube with washers brazed on nuts to trap a rubber bung in one end that the cable outer goes in, and a Schrader valve in the other end to pressurize it.

So now you are getting an idea of who this cheapskate Newbie is. That was post Number Seven . . .

Last edited by Albion; 04-20-20 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 03:58 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Duplicate threads merged. Please do not continue to start new threads. Just add to this one.
Old 04-20-20, 08:06 PM
mentalite

Bikes: Various and often changing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Albion.

You'll be ready to start a bike restoration business any time! You'll have something to do and you can justify having bikes all over the house.

mentalite.
Old 04-21-20, 09:23 AM
Albion 

Thank you so much - I hope to be helping the locals once all this nonsense is over now that there seems to be a real interest in biking around here in Phoenix. All the best to you in Central PA - I visited Lancaster several times and found it a delightful place - but the hills must make biking a real challenge! Stay safe and all the best!