Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame finishing, Sacramento CA

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 12:07 AM
LMQCycles
Kim Woodward

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Hey there!

I’m looking for recommendations for paint / powder coating in the Sacramento, CA greater area. I’ve had great results from D&D in the Bay Area for wet paint, but have had others balk at the price of good paint. I’m not a painter and have had tolerable Spray.Bike results for my own bikes but it certainly pales next to a professional paint job.

i have no experience with powder coating, but understand that quite a bit of care needs to be taken with bike frames due to tight corners and subtle layers (lugs) and that much of the frames details may get lost in the coating unless you know what you are doing. All that being said, any thoughts or help in the arena of frame finishing would be appreciated!

Kim
Old 06-08-20, 07:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
One source for this type of reference might be the LBS that likely will have seen far more powder coated jobs then any one home wrench has. Here in Rochester we recommend one PC company (who also will do wet paint for a really low cost although not a "pro" level" result) because they do very decent work at a fair price and have been fairly consistent. I've seen, maybe, a couple of dozen paint jobs from them and they all have been acceptable for PC. We've seen a few other outfits work too but not enough to be able to make any judgment we are comfy with and thus direct out customers to them. I would think your LBSs have seen some of this same thing. Andy
Old 06-08-20, 07:30 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I have had one frame powder coated. I didn't have a problem with it being too thick mine was the opposite. There were a couple of thin places where you could see the metal through the coating and along most edges of the lugs and brazeons it was thin. I'll try it again but with a different powder coater.

I used the power coat as the base and painted over parts of it added decals and clear coated the whole frame with 2K clear.
Old 06-08-20, 08:31 AM
8aaron8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I sent you a pm.
Likes For 8aaron8:
Old 06-08-20, 12:39 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^
I’ll wholeheartedly recommend the guy above!
Old 06-08-20, 03:56 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Nice to see all the local folks here.
Old 06-10-20, 10:10 PM
mtruhe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've taken a couple of frames to Ventana in Rancho Cordova. They are a bit pricey compared to most powder coaters but worth it.
Likes For mtruhe:
Old 02-07-22, 10:41 AM
kshen888

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

i am in need of a recommendation as well for painting a carbon bike frame.
Old 02-07-22, 11:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by kshen888
Hi All,

i am in need of a recommendation as well for painting a carbon bike frame.
I would be very careful about powder coating a frame made with a bonded process. The heat required to melt out/cure the powder can also affect the epoxies used to glue carbon or other materials together. First step might be seeking advice from the frame's maker. In addition, the removal of the OEM finish might be another aspect of concern, as to not damage the frame. At the minimum I would suggest seeking out a coater who has worked with composites before. Every carbon frame that I have known of that was repainted was done with wet paint. If a wet paint job is OK then most bike painters should be able to do the job. Andy
Old 02-07-22, 12:23 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Can you powder a carbon frame? I'm not sure who in our area in doing wet paint. I think Steve Rex usually send to someone out of state for paint.
Old 02-07-22, 12:40 PM
kshen888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I would be very careful about powder coating a frame made with a bonded process. The heat required to melt out/cure the powder can also affect the epoxies used to glue carbon or other materials together. First step might be seeking advice from the frame's maker. In addition, the removal of the OEM finish might be another aspect of concern, as to not damage the frame. At the minimum I would suggest seeking out a coater who has worked with composites before. Every carbon frame that I have known of that was repainted was done with wet paint. If a wet paint job is OK then most bike painters should be able to do the job. Andy
Thanks for the reply and info Andrew. i have a Carbon Dengfu E10 emtb frame, there are quite a few DIY build posts for this frame in the EU/UK. looks like i cant post a link as i new to this site, but if you google Dengfu E10 Cheeb there is a lot of info. i was thinking a paint job similar tot he Cheeb build.

thanks again!
Old 02-07-22, 06:06 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
Here's a carbon-frame finishing solution used by the guy who powder coated my steel frame.

https://olearypowdercoating.com/ceramic/

Charlie does nice work.

powder-coating fine detail

He's in Santa Fe, NM, however, not Sacramento.
Old 02-08-22, 10:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Ceracote finishes can be a pretty cool result and becoming more popular. It's a choice of some gun enthusiasts due to the high temp resistance and hard wearing surface. My wet coat painter has been after me to ask for it, at a cost slightly less than a wet coat job. But after some discussion and my homework I've decided that my finishing level is still a bit too rough for Ceracote's thinness. It tends to show off tiny surface scratches or joint filler pocks. Wet paint/primer covers these imperfections far better and we all know it's the book's cover that counts Andy
Old 02-09-22, 12:48 PM
kshen888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Andrew, ill look into wet paint and ceracoteing.