Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Crunch time - Topstone AL vs Grade Carbon

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 05:54 PM
simonsez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some last minute advice as I will probably be confirming my purchase tomorrow.

With the bike shortage going around I was able to find a Cannondale Topstone 105 aluminum and a GT Grade Carbon Elite both in my size (58). This would my first gravel bike. The GT is about $100 cheaper (Canadian pricing) so that's nice.

Biggest differences I can see:
Grade: Carbon frame, Tiagra front & rear derailleurs (2x10), Tiagra Hydraulic brakes
Topstone: Aluminum frame, 105 front & rear derailleurs (2x11), 105 Hydraulic brakes

Everything other components seem similar. One more thing, the Topstone would be purchased from a bike shop and the GT from a Big Box store. There a few very reputable small bike mechanic shops around (they don't sell bikes) so I think I could make that work although it's obviously nicer to buy from an LBS.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-20, 06:18 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by simonsez
Looking for some last minute advice as I will probably be confirming my purchase tomorrow.

With the bike shortage going around I was able to find a Cannondale Topstone 105 aluminum and a GT Grade Carbon Elite both in my size (58). This would my first gravel bike. The GT is about $100 cheaper (Canadian pricing) so that's nice.

Biggest differences I can see:
Grade: Carbon frame, Tiagra front & rear derailleurs (2x10), Tiagra Hydraulic brakes
Topstone: Aluminum frame, 105 front & rear derailleurs (2x11), 105 Hydraulic brakes

Everything other components seem similar. One more thing, the Topstone would be purchased from a bike shop and the GT from a Big Box store. There a few very reputable small bike mechanic shops around (they don't sell bikes) so I think I could make that work although it's obviously nicer to buy from an LBS.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
Can you ride them both first? I thought I was getting a Topstone until I road it next to the Giant Revolt Advanced 2. Personally did not like the ride of the Topstone and it felt rather sluggish. Personal preference I’d imagine. If you can...try to find the Giant.
Old 06-25-20, 08:02 PM
simonsez

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Can you ride them both first? I thought I was getting a Topstone until I road it next to the Giant Revolt Advanced 2. Personally did not like the ride of the Topstone and it felt rather sluggish. Personal preference I’d imagine. If you can...try to find the Giant.
I was actually able to ride both and they felt somewhat similar although the GT did seem snappier, is that the carbon at work? The geometry is also similar.

Agree with your choice, the Giant was (or is) on my list but it's impossible to find my size anywhere. From what I heard Giant are sold of most of their bikes and nothing coming in until the fall. Great choice, enjoy the bike!
Old 06-26-20, 09:16 AM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Grade, without a doubt... comfort is not to be overlooked. And the Cannondale OEM stuff is a PITA.
Old 06-26-20, 09:43 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
the most important thing is being overlooked

the Grade is way sexier