Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Old 08-10-20, 08:25 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,040 Times in 2,152 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Bummer. Sounds like the other guy is game, though - you could always start taking off for town signs and see if he, or anybody else, joins in. Do you think that it would be frowned upon by some of the group leaders?

They get mad that I pull so hard when I get to the front. Which I now know is frowned upon. They have let me go off on my own multiple times. So I think sprinting would be a bad idea.

We recently got some new people in the group, and I’ll give the group credit they are really good at keeping everyone together. I’m the ass hole that’s always pushing it.

There another group I want to start riding with, but I have to get faster. There average speed on strava at the end of a 60 miler is usually between 21 and 23. I’m not close to that.
Old 08-10-20, 08:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,299 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Good thing you're not in charge.
You think they should be banned instead? That's a fair point.
Originally Posted by rjones28
I rode an ebike to the bike shop this morning and then back home at the end of the day today. I did not fall off.
Did you read the instructions?
Old 08-10-20, 08:47 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
How often do you guys beat up RD hangers? Shop called and said mine was bent. I suppose that could be from the topple on Thursday, but man, it seems like mine is bent any time anyone looks at it.
All of my bikes wear their original hangers.
Old 08-10-20, 08:53 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've tweaked a few. Bench vise + Crescent wrench, or hammer + garage floor, then fine tune with a park Derailleur hanger alignment tool or by screwing a 10mm axle of a rear wheel into the derailleur bolt hole and eyeballing things.

Hammering on them or bending them back does increase the chance of complete hanger failure, but I like living on the edge.
I use this.

Old 08-11-20, 03:09 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No town sign sprints for your group(s)?
A couple friends and I used to occasionally do a Saturday ride with every town line a sprint, the loser bought the coffee. Several areas around here have multiple town lines within a couple hundred yards, which was always good for me.
Likes For Pirkaus:
Old 08-11-20, 05:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,285 Times in 7,226 Posts
It’s a double deodorant kind of day.
Old 08-11-20, 06:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
They get mad that I pull so hard when I get to the front. Which I now know is frowned upon. They have let me go off on my own multiple times. So I think sprinting would be a bad idea.

We recently got some new people in the group, and I’ll give the group credit they are really good at keeping everyone together. I’m the ass hole that’s always pushing it.

There another group I want to start riding with, but I have to get faster. There average speed on strava at the end of a 60 miler is usually between 21 and 23. I’m not close to that.
Agree don't be the guy who pushes too hard, better to move up to the faster group. Even if you take short pulls and mostly sit in, you will get faster (if that's your goal).
Old 08-11-20, 06:05 AM
bampilot06

Had to make the call of shame this morning. I hit a bump, harder than I wanted to, and with me swapping out the stem yesterday I started thinking about my headset. I didn’t have any obvious play yesterday, but I honestly didn’t do a good job of checking. After I hit the bump, I checked for play and at first didn’t think felt any but I couldn’t be sure. I turned around to head home, stopping by parents for water and checked it again. This time looking at the bottom of the headset where the fork meets I could see movement when holding the front break and rocking it. I decided then not to ride it anymore.

I never felt any play while riding, should I be concerned? I plan on loosening the stem and then tightening the cap to 4 nm. My manual say 2nm, but that obviously wasn’t enough.
Old 08-11-20, 06:07 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by datlas
Agree don't be the guy who pushes too hard, better to move up to the faster group. Even if you take short pulls and mostly sit in, you will get faster (if that's your goal).

faster, faster for longer rides, faster on shorter rides, top of the podium one day..... small goals.
Old 08-11-20, 06:12 AM
bampilot06

And in other news, New stem feels great, lower back didn’t bother me at all. The position feels a lot more natural than before, and I am putting a lot less pressure on my hands.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 08-11-20, 06:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

Different things altogether. Surging when you get to the front of a paceline is always going to be frowned upon, likewise if you're in a group with an agreed-upon pace. Town sign sprints are separate deal - you're usually talking 200 meters or so of all-out and the a regroup shortly thereafter while the sprinters catch their breath and those that sat out catch up.

You should sit in with them sometime. Maybe you get dropped, maybe you don't. As flat as it is there, 21-23 in a group isn't blisteringly fast, but that doesn't tell the whole story, either. My guess would be that they'd have more frequent and much more intense surges - covering those would be the challenge, not sitting in at speed.
Old 08-11-20, 06:15 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Had to make the call of shame this morning. I hit a bump, harder than I wanted to, and with me swapping out the stem yesterday I started thinking about my headset. I didn’t have any obvious play yesterday, but I honestly didn’t do a good job of checking. After I hit the bump, I checked for play and at first didn’t think felt any but I couldn’t be sure. I turned around to head home, stopping by parents for water and checked it again. This time looking at the bottom of the headset where the fork meets I could see movement when holding the front break and rocking it. I decided then not to ride it anymore.

I never felt any play while riding, should I be concerned? I plan on loosening the stem and then tightening the cap to 4 nm. My manual say 2nm, but that obviously wasn’t enough.
I suspect you should be ok.

I don't like torque specs for setting the preload on the headset, I prefer to do it by feel. Tighten it enough so you get just a smidge of binding when you turn the bars (with the front wheel in the air) then back off a hair so you DON'T get the binding. Then be sure there is no rock when you push hard on the front bars with front brake held. Rock back/forth and be sure there is no play. Also in case there is some settling in, recheck after a short test ride.

Others may have their own tricks, but that's my advice.
Old 08-11-20, 06:31 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
You think they should be banned instead? That's a fair point.

Did you read the instructions?
No and no.
Old 08-11-20, 06:32 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

I mean, I read the instructions about how to set up the controller/computer.
Old 08-11-20, 06:33 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And I'm not an "instant acceleration" kind of rider. WhyFi once commented that he and I must have "very different" power curves; I can hold sweet spot and rip a hole in the wind for half of forever, but ask me to sprint for the city limit sign and I'll just tell you my coffee order so they can get it started. That's triathlete life; the cyclists that were most successful in switching to Ironman were domestiques.

Hell I've played domestique for AG and her friends. I'm pretty good at i.
Which is why it's a little dumb that I'm infatuated with a tri/tt-bike. My FTP isn't horrible for a schmoe, but it sure isn't special. 30 seconds and under is my playground.

Speaking of tri-bikes, I was busting my ass at 95%+ for the morning ride, and saw a flashing tail light a few hundred yards up. I rode my ride but kept wondering why I wasn't reeling in this rider faster. Then I saw the tri-bike. Then I saw the IM calf tattoo. Ah - makes sense. He was probably noodling at 70% when I finally passed.
Old 08-11-20, 06:34 AM
bampilot06

I suspect you should be ok.

I don't like torque specs for setting the preload on the headset, I prefer to do it by feel. Tighten it enough so you get just a smidge of binding when you turn the bars (with the front wheel in the air) then back off a hair so you DON'T get the binding. Then be sure there is no rock when you push hard on the front bars with front brake held. Rock back/forth and be sure there is no play. Also in case there is some settling in, recheck after a short test ride.

Others may have their own tricks, but that's my advice.

thanks! I appreciate it.
Old 08-11-20, 06:45 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
So, not trying to be snarky here but I know it could come off that way - have we all decided that group rides are okay now?

I'm still not exactly excited about the idea of riding with others, but then again I've been riding solo pretty much the whole time I've been riding so that's never been a big part of my life.

Ironically I remember this past winter thinking that this year's season I'd start doing regular group rides
Old 08-11-20, 06:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by abshipp
So, not trying to be snarky here but I know it could come off that way - have we all decided that group rides are okay now?

I'm still not exactly excited about the idea of riding with others, but then again I've been riding solo pretty much the whole time I've been riding so that's never been a big part of my life.

Ironically I remember this past winter thinking that this year's season I'd start doing regular group rides
I think it's really nuanced about group rides. I have been doing some with a handful of friends who I know are not "promiscuous" group riders, ie. they ride solo or just with the same circle. I like to think this is a reasonable compromise.

If you want to be extra careful, stay riding solo.

If you want to join large group rides with strangers, I don't really agree with that but I know it's happening.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-11-20, 07:00 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Not me. Sometime in 2021 maybe.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 08-11-20, 07:01 AM
WhyFi

I think it's really nuanced about group rides. I have been doing some with a handful of friends who I know are not "promiscuous" group riders, ie. they ride solo or just with the same circle. I like to think this is a reasonable compromise.

If you want to join large group rides with strangers, I don't really agree with that but I know it's happening.
Ditto what datlas said, on all three points. My group is a small core, 8 or so guys, with a few other regular guests that pop up now and again. Participation in recent rides has been even lower, typically 4-6.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-11-20, 07:02 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts

Well, it’s just like playing with fire, some people don’t have respect for it until they’ve been burned once.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 08-11-20, 07:05 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
For better or worse, I have decided that the population of affluent, home-working, riders in this highly precaution-compliant community are "safe" enough to ride with. The Zip Code map of cases in the county is reassuring on this point.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-11-20 at 07:08 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-11-20, 07:05 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

There have been some races up here. Stage race out near Buffalo, a crit and an MTB series near Rochester. The local bike club restarted group rides a few weeks ago. They all have stated COVID safety rules in place. I haven't been to any of these events, so I don't know how that works out in practice.
Old 08-11-20, 07:06 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Not me. Sometime in 2021 maybe.
Same.
Old 08-11-20, 07:08 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Working at the bike shop all summer is enough exposure risk for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.