Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to Bike Forums! Are these Good?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-10-20, 02:31 PM
RecaanHarb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! This is my first time on this forum and I'm trying to buy a used bike. This gentleman is selling his older Cadillac RLE1.8 road bike to me for $600 but I wanted know what your thoughts are on these components? Here is his description:

"This frame/fork set was originally Manufactured for Cadillac by Kent in Taiwan. Most serious riders overlook these for that specific reason. A solid and well performing bike tainted with the Cadillac branding. Every manufacturing shortcut on this bike was replaced with high end components. Removed all auto branding and extra weight."

Shifters: Shimano 105

Derailleurs: Shimano 105

Cranks: Gossamer FSA

9 Speed Cassette: Shimano Ultegra

Brakes: Shimano Ultegra

Headset: Cane Creek

Seat Post: Easton Carbon

Seat: WTB

Wheels: Mavic Cosmic (Champagne)

Tires: Vittoria Rubino

Pedals: Shimano Light Action

Any thoughts? i'd love to get your feedback!!
Old 08-10-20, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
What does “older” mean?
Old 08-10-20, 02:52 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
It's not the Cadillac name that taints it. That's just a brand... The problem is it is a Kent.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-10-20, 02:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
AFAIK, Kent has never made anything but low end bikes. The bike may have 105 components but it will be a Wally World frame. 2005 or thereabouts. $150-$200 if needs nothing and fits you.
Old 08-10-20, 03:05 PM
RecaanHarb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the input guys, I really do. I'm novice to biking and i know that with COVID, a lot of the sub $1000 bikes are over-inflated. It is what it is, but I also don't want to overpay for something that's crap. So thanks again!
Old 08-10-20, 06:45 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
3x9 older

According to bike blue book such bikes are $750 new

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...product/93896/

So total screw job
Old 08-10-20, 08:04 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Just be patient. It might take a few weeks or months but diligence will be rewarded. A good deal is a good deal only of it fills the need.

Of course I'm vain as all get out but I would never be caught dead on a bicycle with a Caddy sticker on it even if it was all Campy. For the last year or two I have been looking for deals on used bikes and bike bric-a-brac and now is a difficult time in that regard. I would think that by Christmas time things will be different, only the few ride in the winter and bikes bought on a speculation will then be hitting the used market.

If an individual wants to get outside and see the sights or get some exercise a bicycle will help them in that regard but the individual has to make the commitment and put in the effort. If that individual makes that commitment the excuse that a low budget will protect against the possibility that you buy an expensive bike and never ride it. The problem is buy a cheap bike that doesn't fit or is mechanically substandard it almost guarantees that you will not want to ride the bike.

On the other hand if I have $2k hanging from my garage ceiling, I'm going to get my money's worth out it no matter what. People will sign a $500/year contract with a gym not give it another thought and once the year is over they need to re-up. The bicycle will last a lifetime with very little upkeep costs so in view of that $2k doesn't look all that bad, Except bicycle lose value faster than cars.