Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Minmalist ANT+ bike computer for data collection

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 11:31 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts

I really don't need a GPS , just BT / ANT+ data collector for post ride review.
only display I use is mileage, and that is more for curiosity
What inexpensively and flexibly does the job?

Some Samsung phones have ANT+ receivers, but is there a recording bridge that anyone has experience with ?
My cell phone does most of what I need but some of my sensors are ANT+ only
and I sense that many software systems are moving to ANT+ to lock out the runaway BT competition
Garmin 25?
Edit: nope no powermeter connectivity
looks like 130+ now has that slot and its price creeps close to full screen GPS
but 25's are running $50 on eBay

Last edited by bikebikebike; 08-18-20 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 05:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've had a couple of XOSS G+ computers since January. Paid $50 for the first and got the second half price.

Very minimalist but do what I need. Works with my older 2012 era Wahoo wired ANT+ magnet based speed/cadence sensor kits, and newer earth induction Bluetooth/ANT+ sensors. Only a couple of glitches this year that cleared up within a day or so -- a couple of times it took a day to sync with Strava, but usually does within 5-10 minutes.

However there's no power meter support. And customer support has been sketchy during the pandemic. They were very responsive before January but some customers have complained since.

No GPS maps, breadcrumb trails, etc. It records GPS data but that's all. It shows speed, heart rate, cadence, time on the first screen, and various other data on the next two screens (average vs current speed, cadence; elevation; etc.). Supposedly it can access GPS, Glonass, Galileo and Beidou, if I'm recalling correctly. But there's no way to choose one, and no real indication of which it's using. It's all automated. There are still occasional GPS sync errors, but that's true of phones too -- we just don't notice so much with newer phones because they supplement GPS tracking with cell tower info for more seamless tracking.

My only real gripe about the XOSS is there doesn't appear to be a way to transfer data via USB cable to computer or mobile device. The USB port defaults to charge only. Some users claim they've been able to access data through the USB port but I can't replicate the methods they described.

So I rely on wifi transfer, which is a bit slower than my phones using Strava, Wahoo Fitness or other apps.

Recommended with caution. And I'd buy only from Amazon. Probably easier to get a refund or exchange than other outlets. Some folks bought via ebay, Ali Baba or others and had problems.

The next best inexpensive computers may be Bryton and Lezyne. Some models will handle ANT+ but those tend to be the pricier units.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-21-20, 05:42 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

DCRaimaker has some great keynote speeches at the garmin and ANT+ dev conferences in which he talks about
the relationship between the head unit makers and the online providers closing ranks and locking out certain units.
I can see how limiting can give them better control over distinguishing features . (Think Apple)
stability at the cost of inclusiveness.
I think the term is feature creep
I'll check XOSS out . their site lists the head unit for $39.99. https://shop.xoss.co/AMZ $10 more and less griefcost is less than the depreciation on a fancier approach and would get the job done, though no power meter.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 08-21-20 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 06:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Got any cycling friends? Surely one of them has an old Garmin, Wahoo or something stuck in a drawer being useless. Maybe ask and offer 50 bucks for it. Assuming they'll let you see if it still works before handing over the cash.
Old 08-21-20, 06:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
DCRaimaker has some great keynote speeches at the garmin and ANT+ dev conferences in which he talks about
the relationship between the head unit makers and the online providers closing ranks and locking out certain units.
I can see how limiting can give them better control over distinguishing features . (Think Apple)
stability at the cost of inclusiveness.
I think the term is feature creep
I'll check XOSS out . their site lists the head unit for $39.99. https://shop.xoss.co/AMZ $10 more and less griefcost is less than the depreciation on a fancier approach and would get the job done, though no power meter.
Based on customer complaints, I'd spend the extra money and get the XOSS G+ from Amazon, which generally offers a better return/refund/exchange policy. There have been complaints about XOSS direct sales.

On Facebook this week, XOSS reps said they're planning to update the firmware to handle power meters. No time frame estimate.

The XOSS app isn't great, but I use it only as a portal between the G+ device and Strava. The XOSS device records data accurately, but the XOSS app doesn't show data accurate, or as users would prefer. But syncing to Strava works fine and shows most data in a familiar way.

My only gripe remains the lack of a reliable interface between the G+ USB port and a PC or other device for data transfer. No matter which USB cables I try plugging in the XOSS unit only recharges the battery. It never shows up as a device on my PC.
Old 08-23-20, 12:05 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I don't get the fascination with the Garmin 25. It's a few years old; it's discontinued; it's battery charge didn't last long. ebay prices tend to be above the original retail price.... The Lezyne Macro Easy costs less, is supported in the US, has a bigger screen, more storage, works for longer between charges, has more functionality, and the Xoss G+ may be an even better deal.
Old 08-24-20, 02:12 PM
bikebikebike

Originally Posted by philbob57
I don't get the fascination with the Garmin 25.
Prolly true. I am looking for a durable supported device. Garmn dominates the market
Garmin 25 has no powermeter support and Garmin appears to be facing a challenge of a burdensome legacy of devices and EOL ing makes me crazy (re: Apple)
They have aging processors and legacy code issues.
Saying that the "cutting edge" Hammerhead Karoo 1 has been an , um, challenge. Reading up, the rest may have the same challenges.
Eventually phones will be doing all this, too. I just need a collating bridge between minimalist (uhh...) sesnoring ( bad pun) and end of ride analysis.
I would love to see the market breakdown of bike computers, as is seen with phones, by company and model.

canklecat there are a lot of USB cables out there that are dysfunctional, some will only charge by design which is not clearly noted , and some are just *^$#@^ up.
Old 08-24-20, 06:28 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Phones do this now. It's just that phones' battery charge won't last long enough for all rides, and some phones aren't all that visible in strong sunlight, and mounts may not be all that great. And most phones' battery charge will last longer than a Garmin 25's.
Old 08-26-20, 10:08 AM
bikebikebike

The 25 looks less attractive, as it appears to have no powermeter input to log.
There are several ~$125 devices from vendors and the Xoss G+ may be an even better deal, as stated, just for logging.
The whole Bike computer sector is hyping expectation and under-performing
I am going to focus on usability and reliability, uncomplicate , lower expectations, and follow.
They tend to act more like toys than tools, and I can live with that for now.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 09-19-20 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 02:07 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Very basic, works:
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bop/d/collegedale-bontrager-bike-computer/7168483191.html

(Admit I don't know what Ant+ is)