Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike and chain identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-06-20, 02:09 PM
rmsglass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help.
We just found an older Bianchi and here is the info I have on it.
Bianchi Superset 2, Bianchi Exclusive, Double butted tubes Tange MTB CR-MO4130, Shimano Acera XL, Edorardo Bianchi, Shimano Acera FH-M290, Frame stamp LYS6A19450.
Any help identifying this model and the chain needed would be wonderful. Currently there is no chain on the bike and it is in excellent shape.
Thanks much, Rich
Old 09-06-20, 03:32 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by rmsglass
Hi I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help.
We just found an older Bianchi and here is the info I have on it.
Bianchi Superset 2, Bianchi Exclusive, Double butted tubes Tange MTB CR-MO4130, Shimano Acera XL, Edorardo Bianchi, Shimano Acera FH-M290, Frame stamp LYS6A19450.
Any help identifying this model and the chain needed would be wonderful. Currently there is no chain on the bike and it is in excellent shape.
Thanks much, Rich
Welcome to the forums. You don't need a specific brand or model of chain, just one with a width that is compatible with the number of cogs on the cassette,

The serial number suggests the frame was manufactured in 1996 and therefor a 1996 or 1997 model. This is era appropriatte for teh Acera-X freehub which, by the way, should have a cassette with seven cogs. Bianchi's Acera X model during this era was the Ocelot
Old 09-06-20, 03:38 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
The proper chain will be determined by the number of sprockets on the rear cluster. A chain designated for 7-speed will work on anything with seven or fewer sprockets. More than that and you will want a chain designed to work with at least that specific number of sprockets.
Old 09-06-20, 04:05 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
6, 7, and 8 speed systems use the same chain. You can also use the 6-8 speed chain on a 5 speed cog. Some people recommend using 9 speed chains. I've been biking a long time, and I liked the Sedisport narrow chain that came out in the late '70s or early '80s. The SRAM 8 speed chains are the successors, so I use the PC-850, 2nd from the bottom in the SRAM line, but KMC and Shimano also make 8 speed chains. Chains seem like commodities to me. The SRAM costs half of the only Shimano I could find with a quick search.
Old 09-11-20, 03:24 PM
rmsglass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks, the replies have helped a great deal.