Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A little help with my idle curiosity please

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-12-20, 09:17 PM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts

I have a "99 Schwinn Peloton that I really enjoy. The TIG welded frame was manufactured in Taiwan for Schwinn when owned by Scott . The main tubes are butted Reynolds 853 but I cannot find any info on what the stays are made of. Does any one have any insight?.

I note that Weight Weenies lists the frame weight for a 58 cm frame as 1968 g. They also list the frame weight of a 57 cm 853 Lemond Zurich as 1770 g. I have read that Lemond used Reynolds 725 for the stays. I doubt the 198 g weight difference is due to the 1 cm size difference. I'm assuming Schwinn/Scott used something lesser in the stays of the Peloton. This won't detract from my enjoyment but I happen to be curious as all get out.

P.S. I know I should swap the aluminum fork for carbon.
Old 09-13-20, 12:49 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
I can't help you on the stays--that's some internet wormhole traveling right there--but I'll say that if the aluminum fork doesn't feel crummy when riding, there's no need to change it out. If it doesn't ride well and/or you think it looks off (I don't know why they didn't paint it blue), then swap away.